Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Number Plate/puddle Lights/interior Lights Mkv

Jonro2009

Hi

Has anyone replaced any or all of the above?

I replaced the bulbs in the number plate lamps for LED Bulbs and they look a lot better now, unfortunately I broke one of the clips and now the unit is loose. I intend to replace both units with a sealed SMD unit but can only find units for the mkIV, will these fit?

The puddle lights under the mirrors appear to be sealed units and I suspect I need to replace the whole bulb assembly and lens, can any one tell me if this is right or is there a way of getting to the bulb? I intend to swap them for CREE bulbs are similar.

I also intend to swap all the internal bulbs for CREE/SMD chips for a crisper whiter light.

Any advice on fitment or units/bulbs available would be great. The internal bulbs are not so much of an issue, I've always changed all my bulbs. I just wish there was an easier way of changing the headlight/sidelight/DRL and indicator bulbs!

Jon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have changed my puddle lights on a Mk4, the easiest way for me was to move the mirror away from the car and up.

Not too sure whether it would be the same for yourself as your Mondeo is completely different to mine but it's worth a try, if it's the same you will see a metal clip behind the mirror which very carefully you push with a flat head screwdriver and the puddle light pops out then you twist the case from the housing to get to the bulb.

The number plate lights may or may not be the same, I know the LR Freelander and the RR Evoque used the same number plate light fitting but when the discovery sport came along the casing was completely different, if you can could you pop yours back out and take a picture?

Thanks Ben, I got the puddle light popped out no problem but I'm not sure if it is a sealed unit or not, I don't have a proper look.

My neighbour has a mkIV so I'm going to het a look at theirs, I took a punt on some from eBay so waiting for them to arrive, from the picture they looked right.

I'll report back and let you know how I get on.

They looked like a sealed unit on the Mk4 also but you give them a strong twist to the left and it unlocks and the cable slides out with the bulb on the end of it, hopefully they should be the exact same especially if they were pricey parts! Speak soon

Brilliant, thanks for that, I'm going to look at them today while I'm fitting my dash cam. I've still to find a fuse with a switched live, I'm using the 12v power supply under the radio for now but it seems to power off after 30-45 minutes some times but not others.

The numberplate units came yesterday, ordered the units that were for the mkIV and they fitted perfect, what a difference they make, a pure white crisp bright light that looks to match the LED rear lights.

The puddle lights are definitely a sealed unit, I'm going to trawl through some well known bidding sites to find LED replacements.

The dash cam is in now too, just plugged in to the 12v socket for now.

• 2 months later...

Hi Jon,

I've just been trying to change some of the bulbs on my wife's new Mondeo for LEDs. Eventually got the number plate lights out, there's no cutout in the lense for getting to the clip to release it. Which LED Bulbs did you use for the number plate? I'm looking for around 6000k bulbs, I want a nice pure white but not too bright. Have you had any problems with your bulbs, flickering etc? Also want to change the puddle lights out but I see they're sealed units and I can only see ones that are made in America and they're pretty expensive. Thanks for any advice.

Sorry for the wait Rocky, just seen this question. It's a !Removed! nightmare getting the housing out for the lights isn't it? Getting them back in is no fun either. I tried a few different bulbs but never found any decent ones I was happy with, until I found these....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201465924609?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They are a little expensive but worth it. Super bright white light!

I didn't find any better puddle lights, not even American ones. Do you have a link to the ones you found? I hate the standard ones more with each passing day lol

Hi Jon,

Just ordered some 6000K xenon white 5 smd replacement bulbs for the time being, I'll keep your suggested replacement units in mind if I'm not happy with the look once they come.

The replacement puddle lights I've seen that look great are as follows :-
http://www.daytimebrightlites.com/Puddle_Lights_NL3C.html

As said they look great but very expensive.

Wow! $60 that's some crazy price tag! I am massively disappointed with the standard puddle lights but I'm going to have to live with them.

How do you find the head lights? I have upgraded to Phillips Vision plus 130% extra, allegedly, but I think the reach on them is poor, they seem awful low to me, don't illuminate any road signs.

I think the headlights look ace, an excellent colour. We have the LED headlights and the rear lights look great too. I personally haven't driven the car in the dark yet.

Full LED headlights or the DRLs only? I wasn't aware full LED was an option.

The rear lights do look good

The LED headlights are part of the X pack upgrade, and includes leather seats and privacy glass

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Very nice. Do the LED headlights project a good beam?

Yes, they are very effective, they also adapt the beam pattern to suit different speeds / weather conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

Fitted my new LED number plate bulbs tonight, really pleased with the colour and look.  I bought them off ebay Lightec Aiutostyle, very fast delivery.

2x XENON PURE WHITE 5 SMD LED SIDELIGHT / INTERIOR BULB T10 W5W 501 6000K 6K

$_12.jpg

photo.JPG

• Like 2

I'll get a photo of my all in 1 units put up.....when I get the car back! It's been towed away for the 3rd time since mid Jan! Keeps going into limp mode and apparently does not store a fault code (it does and I have it stored on my phone off my own reader) now the engine doesn't start properly and at time you have to double clutch, then on Friday the clutch started slipping! Not having much luck.

Sorry to hear that Jon. Fingers crossed you get it back sorted properly.

• Like 1

I'll be rejecting it if there is no fix this time. [emoji45]

So, ESP and ABS modules replaced and rear wheel sensors. Hill Hold Assist malfunctioning and repaired. Collected the car to find 10miles worth of fuel left in tank, at least 2G in there when I left it. Dealer agreed to fund the road tests and diagnostic fuel consumption as it was a warranty job. Drove the car away, 30 mins later error message on dash saying child lock system failure and to 'service now'

Seriously losing faith now

• 4 weeks later...

I was wondering if anyone could help me, I am also in the process of replacing my rear number plate lamps and was wondering if there was any special technique to prying open the light fittings?

From looking at the lights it appears the spring clips are located on the right hand side of the assembly, so would I therefore just stick a flathead screwdriver into that section and push and pry out the light?

I have tried to stick a flathead screwdriver in there already, however the force required to remove the lights seems too much from what i'm doing so I am reluctant to put any more force in case I break the housing.

I broke mine trying to pry them out but I wasn't being careful as I was replacing both units. I don't think I could have got them out without causing damage though to be honest, sorry I can't be of more help.

• 8 months later...

When you took out the OEM fitting you should have the plastic lens and one bulb in your hand. If you follow the wire from the lens towards the car there will be a a block connector that the light is plugged in to. Unplug the original light and replace it with the white port that you have on the new LED unit. It should be a straight swap. You may need to pull, gently on the wires that come away from the existing unit so that the connector becomes visible as it may still be behind the metal of the boot it is there though.
Any problems then just send a picture of what you see when you remove the old plastic lens.

• 2 months later...

Hi has anyone found a good led puddle light for the mk5 mondeo. I have been looking for them for ages

I have found these on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-High-power-white-LED-Side-Mirror-Puddle-Lights-For-Ford-Mondeo-Mk5-2015-2017-/322423106606?hash=item4b11ea2c2e:g:lWMAAOSw44BYYIy1

I put the led number plate bulb on and it looks great.

I will change the reverse light and fog light to LED Bulbs as well.

I just need advice and links to puddle lightbulb

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club