Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Doors auto lock setting


Colin1969
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have a new ecoboost 125 titanium x , just wondering is there any way to make the central locking lock automatically after driving off , reason is incase i forget to do it manually , people now days just try to hijack the car to steal from you . My older 2008 BMW does it and so does my wife Clio do it too. Any advice thanks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I never liked this feature just incase I was involved in an accident and was unable to unlock the doors (knocked out/trapped or whatever?) it would make it a bit harder to get me out of the car if I was trapped (a very big likelihood and far fetched) but could happen! If I feel I'm in a bit of a rough area i'll just lock them with the button!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, JSMarsden said:

I never liked this feature just incase I was involved in an accident and was unable to unlock the doors (knocked out/trapped or whatever?) it would make it a bit harder to get me out of the car if I was trapped (a very big likelihood and far fetched) but could happen! If I feel I'm in a bit of a rough area i'll just lock them with the button!  

This will be why Ford don't enable it by default and have blocked it from being turned on with IDS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, as soon as we press the lock button from inside, we're in danger of trapped in the car. If that's the case, the lock button should not be in there. This should not be the excuse to disable auto lock feature. If the car can explode airbags in split second, it can easily unlock the doors at the same time. Dumb excuse i think and this feature is enabled in USA by the way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The car will attempt to auto unlock the doors but depending on the location and severity of impact I think they found it could be unreliable hence disabling the auto locking feature as a safety precaution.

By using the manual lock you make your own judgement call. I wouldn't want to be without it driving through or parking in certain places. At least you can unlock it again when you want to.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As Alex said, if the doors auto locked and trapped you in the car you could try and sue Ford as its a feature they enabled, if you lock the door yourself then that's down to you.

just get into the habit of pressing the lock button when you get i, it will become second nature, it also defeats the thieves/hi jackets who don't prefer the car to be over 5mph before attempting to get in.

 

strangly my 15 plate transit has auto locking 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, MarksST said:

As Alex said, if the doors auto locked and trapped you in the car you could try and sue Ford as its a feature they enabled, if you lock the door yourself then that's down to you.

just get into the habit of pressing the lock button when you get i, it will become second nature, it also defeats the thieves/hi jackets who don't prefer the car to be over 5mph before attempting to get in.

 

strangly my 15 plate transit has auto locking 

Same Fiesta in usa has auto locking too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well they've done it for some reason so your choices are;

 

Get on to ford HQ and get them to enable it.

 

Import a US car 

 

Or shut the door and press the button on the dash 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • 3 years later...

If you lock the doors, central locking will be opened when airbag module detects the accident, IOW goes to crash mode, also shuts the fuel pump etc...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/13/2016 at 2:27 AM, Willy said:

It can't be turned on in the Fiesta as Alex says.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

You need ELM 327 modified cable

Forscan software

Swich on in BCM (and IPC if you want to be able to toggle it on and off)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

You need ELM 327 modified cable

Forscan software

Swich on in BCM (and IPC if you want to be able to toggle it on and off)

Or this way

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...

Yes i found a video on YouTube. You start the engine press the unlock button 3 times ont the door. Then engine off press the unlock button 3 times again start the engine. You only have 30 seconds to do the process. Hope this helps 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is absolutely no way I would have the doors locked while I am driving.   Experience of 30 years in the police tell me that this is a stupid idea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bobr said:

There is absolutely no way I would have the doors locked while I am driving.   Experience of 30 years in the police tell me that this is a stupid idea.

Have to agree with you there....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess it depends where you drive and who you are.

As a pale, weak, scrawny guy that regularly used to drive rough areas at night (for college and work) I felt far safer with the doors locked and it's something that's stuck ever since.  Even now I still don't like having windows down during the day in town when there are lots of people about - even less so at night.  There's absolutely no way I could fend off a carjacker in real life. 

It's not just attackers and car jackers either, if you've got a laptop on the backseat, or a puppy in the boot, anyone can get those open and run off with your dog or laptop before you've worked out what the noise was.

It is of course a balance of risk...but modern door locks are designed to release in the event of a crash nowadays.  Which is much safer than the manual locks I had when I first started doing it.  It's also only the external locks as someone mentioned above, so pulling the internal handle still releases the door, just takes a double pull in most cases (extra half a second).  And if you're not in a position to pull the handle yourself (heart attack at traffic lights maybe?) then a passer by could smash the side window and reach in to pull the handle.  I'm sure there must be scenarios where it doesn't work...and would be interested to hear of any you can think of!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I guess it depends where you drive and who you are.

As a pale, weak, scrawny guy that regularly used to drive rough areas at night

I suppose being a veteran and an ex copper and six feet two and 14 stone does make a difference.😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bobr said:

I suppose being a veteran and an ex copper and six feet two and 14 stone does make a difference.😁

Yeah, I don't think anyone's going to be ripping you out of the driver's seat any time soon! :laugh:

It is interesting the different world perspectives we'll have.  I'm about 6 foot, but have absolutely no muscle (weigh about 8 stone) and have never hit anyone in my life...wouldn't even know how!  As a result, I'm constantly on the lookout for potential attackers in the real world. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/14/2020 at 8:43 AM, Bobr said:

There is absolutely no way I would have the doors locked while I am driving.   Experience of 30 years in the police tell me that this is a stupid idea.

There is absolutely no way I would have my wife or daughter drive around without the doors locked so someone could pull the out and batter the keys off them. My experience of today's police is they wouldn't turn up for about three days, too busy pandering

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Needed in some towns where crooks go for handbags etc on the passenger/back seat. Peak is evening/nights during the period of when the clocks go back and Xmas when cars are stuck in rush hour or shopping traffic. I would recommend as a minimum you do the two click needed to open all doors, that way if someone tries you passenger/back door you can hit the lock button.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Forums


News


Membership