Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is my fuel economy awful for a diesel, or is it good or average ?

Fastlife91

I drive an  mk2 focus sport 1.8 TDCI with 139,500 miles on the clock, full service history

It takes 43 litres from fuel light to fill to full brim. Once I drive 5 or 10 miles the gauge begins to move from brim, by the time it hits first line it has only usually done 80  -100 miles, by the time it gets to half way line usually only 180- 200 but 180 usually.

By the time fuel light comes on it has usually only done around 380, maybe 400 miles.

The top half of the tank recently saw me get 58 mpg after driving to Wales, however once I got to fuel light come on my mpg had fallen to 45 mpg after only 420 out of a tank.

Any ideas ?

oh, could my fuel injector be faulty, a few months ago 2 of them were leaking, he glued 1 in and replaced a seal on the other, but when it rains I see rainbow color liquid trail from my car, only see it when wet. car also chugs as well when on idle but then clears back to normal idle after few mins. also remember seeing a fuel injector malfunction code but friend says he thinks that was from last time and said he thinks he has reset that.

I have a 2004 1.8 Tdci. I get 47.1mpg round town and around 60mpg on a long run with a gentle right foot. You will get best motorway mpg at around sixty miles per hour.  In town let the car pull away on tick over,  once moving apply right foot. Interestingly you will save more fuel going downhill in gear than freewheeling as ecu recognises no load.  Freewheeling fuel is used to keep engine on tick over. A huge benefit of driving gently is your DMF will last forever. My last Tdci had over 200,000 miles on original clutch and DMF. Does your car have the trip computer fitted? 

35 minutes ago, Marcusbrittanicus said:

I have a 2004 1.8 Tdci. I get 47.1mpg round town and around 60mpg on a long run with a gentle right foot. You will get best motorway mpg at around sixty miles per hour.  In town let the car pull away on tick over,  once moving apply right foot. Interestingly you will save more fuel going downhill in gear than freewheeling as ecu recognises no load.  Freewheeling fuel is used to keep engine on tick over. A huge benefit of driving gently is your DMF will last forever. My last Tdci had over 200,000 miles on original clutch and DMF. Does your car have the trip computer fitted? 

I don't think so, where will the trip computer be ?  would it be on the cd palyer ?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club