alexp999

Zetec S Trim is Dead, ST-Line is the future

Recommended Posts

Ford have announced the new ST-Line Fiesta and Focus, however for all intents and purposes, it is just a rename of the Zetec S with some minor tweaks:

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/feu/en/news/2016/06/02/ford-launches-sporty-new-st-line--fiesta-st-line-and-focus-st-li.html

fordst-line_2016_fiesta_st-line_badge.jpg

The Zetec S has always been only available in the UK afaik, so I can understand Ford wanting to use the globally recognised ST name to make the "Zetec S" trim available in more markets.

The main differences to the old Zetec S seem to be wing badges (really??), black headlining from the ST and rock metallic painted alloys. Otherwise it looks basically identical, same Zetec S bodykit, suspension, engine choice, etc.

Quite good really as I always felt the Zetec S needed the black headlining, perhaps they could have called it ST-Lite, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

It sounds pretty much what Kia have done. They got a pro, and a pro something I can't remember but basically the only difference is a badge and some little items. But charge you a grand more. Nice little move though, but maybe shouldn't of called the ST Line, and maybe the S Line?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it's either an ST or it's not.

There can't really be more than one ST per model or it causes a confusing overlap on specs.

Sent from my SM-G930F

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JayG90 said:

It sounds pretty much what Kia have done. They got a pro, and a pro something I can't remember but basically the only difference is a badge and some little items. But charge you a grand more. Nice little move though, but maybe shouldn't of called the ST Line, and maybe the S Line?

But then you end up in Audi territory, seeing as they have S Line sitting beneath the S, then RS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Benji. said:

But then you end up in Audi territory, seeing as they have S Line sitting beneath the S, then RS.

As I submitted that I was thinking about Audi but couldn't think if it was lol! Cheers for remiding me what I was thinking. Either way, I don't personally like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, JayG90 said:

As I submitted that I was thinking about Audi but couldn't think if it was lol! Cheers for remiding me what I was thinking. Either way, I don't personally like it.

Aha no worries. I know what you mean and I think I'm the same. S Line, ST Line, they all make it sound a little bit like 'almost, but not quite', as if it's a compromise. At least with Zetec S, it sounded like an upgrade of the Zetec, rather than ST Line which sounds like a downgrade of the ST

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Benji. said:

Aha no worries. I know what you mean and I think I'm the same. S Line, ST Line, they all make it sound a little bit like 'almost, but not quite', as if it's a compromise. At least with Zetec S, it sounded like an upgrade of the Zetec, rather than ST Line which sounds like a downgrade of the ST

Has Ford been bought out by someone or something? as how long has Zetec S been around? and now the sudden changes, but a change that makes it sound silly. Starting to think Ford are trying to make 'cheap' little cars for budget drivers but are failing personally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zetec S branding wasn't used outside the UK.

Ford has been about moving towards it's One Ford strategy for a while now, hence why we finally get RHD Mustangs.

This is just part of them defining globally recognised brands/models/specs, etc.

ST is known far wider than Zetec S.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also has flat bottom steering wheel like ST

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do like the introduction of flappy paddles for gear change though.

Pity it wasn't an ST option on the 3.5.

Sent from my SM-G930F

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Stoney871 said:

I do like the introduction of flappy paddles for gear change though.

Pity it wasn't an ST option on the 3.5.

Sent from my SM-G930F

It is, but only if you pick diesel auto.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give me clutch and a stick any day.

Not looking forward to the death of the manual which seems inevitable with hybrid tech coming along. Maybe they'll find a way of having hybrid powertrain but still manual shift - one can but hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alexp999 said:

Give me clutch and a stick any day.

Not looking forward to the death of the manual which seems inevitable with hybrid tech coming along. Maybe they'll find a way of having hybrid powertrain but still manual shift - one can but hope.

Otherwise manuals will become some sort of underground scene. Or people will look at you like you're some kind of dinosaur nutcase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw something about this a few weeks ago, I'm all for having a re-branded Sporty range below the ST,

but actually having 'ST' on a car with a 1 Litre engine just seems wrong, are people going to say they have an ST?

"Oh it's only an ST-Line"........... Will be a common phrase in conversations soon.

 

The Mk2 Focus Sport had no body-kit, just alloys and fogs (i think) and it looked rather drab and pointless.

The Mk2.5 Focus Zetec S was much improved in the looks department, but it was really only a £1600 body kit option.

The Mk3 Zetec S was finally a model in the range and not a simple kit option, but I do think 'Zetec S' need updating,

dropping the 'Zetec' and just calling it 'S' or 'Sport' would have been enough.

 

These cars will look great, and it's nice they are setting them apart from bog standard cars,

But I fear the Insurance Companies will take advantage of how much more 'Sporty' they look and charge you more for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RAIDER32 said:

I saw something about this a few weeks ago, I'm all for having a re-branded Sporty range below the ST,

but actually having 'ST' on a car with a 1 Litre engine just seems wrong, are people going to say they have an ST?

"Oh it's only an ST-Line"........... Will be a common phrase in conversations soon.

 

The Mk2 Focus had a 'Sport' but it had no body-kit, just alloys and fogs (i think), it looked rather drab.

The Mk2.5 Focus 'Zetec S' was much improved in the looks department, but it got nothing on the inside.

Ford didn't really push Focus Zetec S and loads never even got an 'S' badge, it was really only a £1600 kit option.

 

I do think 'Zetec S' need updating, dropping the 'Zetec' and just calling it 'S' or 'Sport' would have been enough.

These cars will look great, and it's nice they are setting them apart from bog standard cars,

But I fear the Insurance Companies will take advantage of how much more 'Sporty' they look and charge you more for it.

Agreed. Also 'Fiesta/Focus Zetec S' was always a bit of a mouthful. Focus S or Focus Sport is pretty self explanatory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, I noticed today (apologies if I've been hella slow on the uptake) that the new Zetec S (ST-Line) models on the Ford website can now come with 5 doors. Was always an issue I had with the sportier Fiestas as I tend to prefer 5-door for ease of use.

Not really news either actually, so I'm not sure why I'm posting this but hey-ho. It's friday and my brain is mush.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2016 at 6:46 PM, Benji. said:

Also, I noticed today (apologies if I've been hella slow on the uptake) that the new Zetec S (ST-Line) models on the Ford website can now come with 5 doors. Was always an issue I had with the sportier Fiestas as I tend to prefer 5-door for ease of use.

Not really news either actually, so I'm not sure why I'm posting this but hey-ho. It's friday and my brain is mush.

I just noticed this and was about to mention it but you beat me to it.

But I agree since being rebranded the ST-Line it comes with 5 Doors this just makes me scream YESSSS! Inside. Now I want one, really bad, I think they look so good :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I was to buy the new Zetec S (S line) I'd take the wing badges off, replace them with vinyl "S" wing badges, and replace the rear badge for an S too..

S-line is just screaming *I CANT AFFORD TO RUN AN ST* even if it's not true..

www.yorkshiredetailing.co.uk - approved resellers of the Highest quality detailing & Valeting supplies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tbh I always think the same when I see Zetec S badges anyway...get excited seeing an ST...then notice it's just a ZS, usually a diesel as well...urgh... :tongue: If you want 5 doors go for a Titanium and get more toys! :biggrin:  I suppose it's down to personal preference though, I've been looking at Mk7.5 Fiesta's for my next daily - to combine both my current cars into one.  Looked at EcoBoost Titaniums or ST's, no interest in the ZS at all, but obviously a lot of people do go for them so must be something in it! :smile: 

I really don't like the ST line name though, sounds like part of a Tampax factory... :unsure: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Tbh I always think the same when I see Zetec S badges anyway...get excited seeing an ST...then notice it's just a ZS, usually a diesel as well...urgh... :tongue: If you want 5 doors go for a Titanium and get more toys! :biggrin:  I suppose it's down to personal preference though, I've been looking at Mk7.5 Fiesta's for my next daily - to combine both my current cars into one.  Looked at EcoBoost Titaniums or ST's, no interest in the ZS at all, but obviously a lot of people do go for them so must be something in it! :smile: 

I really don't like the ST line name though, sounds like part of a Tampax factory... :unsure: 

Yeah probably going to go for Titanium next time anyway, the wheels will be easier to clean :P and may even get the dress up kit cause I love how that looks but we'll see :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Titanium wheels are awful to clean lol.  Hate cleaning/sealing mine...so many spokes... :mellow:

Dress up kit is nice though, I agree!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Better than my current Zetec wheels (the picture below) which have grooves and funny little indentations, If I can get in the gaps then I'm not too fussed :D 

ford-fiesta-zetec-3dr-15inch-5-spoke-wheels.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now