Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch problem? Or something else

michaelthomas86

Hello, I’m back again with another problem with my 1999 1.4 petrol focus. Any advice would be much appreciated.

The problem is hard to describe but when I get past around 20mph it just feels like the wheels have been lifted off the ground, the engine is revving but the car doesn’t seem to follow through, it catches up after a few seconds, normally when I ease off the accelerator and press down slower rather than harder.

For instance I can be doing 20mph in third gear around 2000 rpm, then when I want to get to 30mph I press down the accelerator harder the revs will jump to around 3500 revs but the car will be stuck around the 20mph mark for a few seconds then the actual speed of the car kicks in after a few seconds, and then I feel a noticeable power increase, the revs drop to the usual amount and the car picks up speed.

It appears to do it more while going up hills, steeper hills more so.

Some history, I have put the following parts on within the past 8 months

Plugs, air filter, oil filter, fresh oil, throttle position sensor, idle air control valve. Garage has put (I am not certain of the correct name, something arm, the big thing at the back of the car that the springs sit on.

I have a very basic odb scanner (£10 thing off eBay) its showing no codes.

A few people have guessed it could be the clutch slipping, does that describe a clutch problem? I have only driven 3 cars and the clutches were fine, so I don’t know if this is what a wearing clutch feels like.

Definitely sounds like clutch is slipping to me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Definitely sounds like clutch is slipping to me.

I was going to click the "like this button" but i cant bring myself around to doing after you just told me i have to pay around £250+ lol i was hoping for a wd40 job

That's definitely a slipping clutch, no doubt about it.  The revs should never increase without the speed increasing also.

• Like 2

Thanks guys. I would be happy if i could get to September to see how much the MOT repairs it needs before replacing the clutch, it would be a shame to have scrap the car.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club