Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Installing Sub in Focus MK2

Blue46

I'm looking at installing a sub into my MK2 Focus. Specifically the Alpine SWE-815 as it's received decent reviews and fits within my budget.

I currently have the stock head unit but was looking to change this to something half decent, but cheap as I'm on a very tight budget. Main reason for the change is for easier installation of the sub and a more accessible AUX input. What would you recommend?

As for fitting the sub, I do have the 12v power line behind the right hand boot panel which I'm assuming I can use to power the sub / amp. What would be the best way of connecting this up to the sub / amp?

These may seem like very noob questions but I have never even looked at installing a sub, amp or head unit before this so it's all very new to me.

Thanks

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Blue46 said:

I'm looking at installing a sub into my MK2 Focus. Specifically the Alpine SWE-815 as it's received decent reviews and fits within my budget.

I currently have the stock head unit but was looking to change this to something half decent, but cheap as I'm on a very tight budget. What would you recommend for around £50?

As for fitting the sub, I do have the 12v power line behind the right hand boot panel which I'm assuming I can use to power the sub / amp. What would be the best way of connecting this up to the sub / amp?

These may seem like very noob questions but I have never even looked at installing a sub, amp or head unit before this so it's all very new to me.

Thanks

Hi,

You don't need to change the headunit to have the sub operating successfully.

you can install a hi level rca output adaptor which provides the required RCA output the amplifier needs.

Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270662823340 

hi-low-level-line-converter-1_zpsfrs7gld

You can adjust the bass volume via the inline remote provided with the alpine kit.

you will also need a 4AWG amplifier wiring kit 

Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T1-AUDIO-2000-Watts-4-AWG-Gauge-Car-Complete-Amplifier-Amp-Wiring-Cable-Kit-/251395419160?hash=item3a8855ac18:g:4kwAAOxy3NBSnlRp 

And finally then the specific sized fuse that will be stated in the amplifiers manual. 

It's not recommend using the existing 12v socket power supply within the boot compartment to power an amplifier because the cable isint sufficient size to meet amplifiers demands and may blow fuses or cause fire.

Same goes for a  £50 headunit high chance it would set fire to the vehicle and not likely to have any quality inside to be deemed an upgrade, the aftermarket conversion kit alone costs 55 pounds unless you fit it like this

car-audio-fail-install-stereo-00_zpsynoq

You may also like to view my guides any questions I'm happy to help👍

Thanks Lenny. Really appreciate the reply.

After having a look around I noticed a £50 head unit wasn't going to get me anything remotely good. What I did see though was a JVC head unit for £90 with the MK2 surround and AUX input up front.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-MK2-2005-2007-JVC-CD-MP3-USB-Aux-Car-Stereo-Player-Fitting-Kit-/182007230444?hash=item2a6079efec:g:RpEAAOSwL7VWq~WW

I'll have a read through your guide and see if I can make sense of it.

Thanks again :)

39 minutes ago, Blue46 said:

Thanks Lenny. Really appreciate the reply.

After having a look around I noticed a £50 head unit wasn't going to get me anything remotely good. What I did see though was a JVC head unit for £90 with the MK2 surround and AUX input up front.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-MK2-2005-2007-JVC-CD-MP3-USB-Aux-Car-Stereo-Player-Fitting-Kit-/182007230444?hash=item2a6079efec:g:RpEAAOSwL7VWq~WW

I'll have a read through your guide and see if I can make sense of it.

Thanks again :)

Looks like a great deal there,

I would add the steering stalk adaptor to that kit aswell which will keep the controls working. 

If you do fit the aftermarket headunit; you won't need to install the inline remote that is supplied with the alpine sub because the headunit will have an amplifier volume control built in to its settings which will adjust the base in accordance with the speaker volume 👍

On 11/07/2016 at 1:03 PM, Lenny said:

Looks like a great deal there,

I would add the steering stalk adaptor to that kit aswell which will keep the controls working. 

If you do fit the aftermarket headunit; you won't need to install the inline remote that is supplied with the alpine sub because the headunit will have an amplifier volume control built in to its settings which will adjust the base in accordance with the speaker volume 👍

I think I might just get that then. For the price it seems a good deal and makes everything neater and less faffing about with separate controls along with an easier to use AUX in etc

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Blue46 said:

I think I might just get that then. For the price it seems a good deal and makes everything neater and less faffing about with separate controls along with an easier to use AUX in etc

Does look like a great deal for the money and it's a branded headunit. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club