Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Zetec 08 issues

Cojenss

Hi there, this is my first time posting on this forum so i hope i have opened this discussion in the correct place.

Recently purchased a Focus Zetec 08 and am having a number of issues with it.

1) After driving it for about two days the amber engine warning light came on. I have run a diagnostics tool but all it is giving me is an error code of P0171. I have inspected all the pipes and joints and can not find any broken or leaking parts. Took it to the garage last week and they ran a smoke test but no leaks were found. From doing some general research it appears that it could be an issue with the MAP or MAF sensors. I have managed to locate the MAP sensor but am struggling on how to access it to be able to inspect it and decided either to clean or replace the sensor. I have looked for the MAF sensor but have not had any luck finding it. 

Would anyone be able to guide me in how to remove these sensors so that i can clean or replace them. Don't really have the money to send it to the garage for endless tests.

I have the Torque app for android (full version) but am not sure how to use it correctly. I would be happy to send you a log of the data if you tell me what data you would like to see and how i can get it to show. 

2) Not sure if this is related to my first issue, but when we start the car from cold it chokes and dies out. If i then turn the engine off and on again and hold the key in the furthest position i will start and run as normal.

3) The clutch on the car is also very stiff, not sure what is causing this i have check the break/hydraulic fluid level and it appears to be ok. Any suggestions

Would really appreciate any help or suggestions 

Kind regards

David

On 20/07/2016 at 11:12 PM, Cojenss said:

error code of P0171.

The 1.6 VVT engine (variable valve timing) has a combined MAF/Temp. sensor.

The 1.6/1.4 standard engines have a combined MAP/Temp sensor.

So it is one or the other. The MAF would be right next to the air filter, but if can see the MAP, then there should be no MAF.

I believe the MAP is hard to access on these engines.

A diagnostic tool like Forscan can monitor MAP readings, and also monitor fuel trim values, which are linked to a lean burn problem. Also O2 readings, and lots of other stuff.

Torque can do some of the things that Forscan can, but not all. I have not used it, & am not sure if it will monitor MAP & fuel trim readings. Have a look, these readings are often called PIDs on these tools.

Cleaning the inside of the MAP is less likely to cure a fault. I am not sure if it goes into the manifold via a seal, or has a hose, but either way, leaks or blockages could be a problem. Also check the electrical connection.

So it is either remove the MAP & check or replace it, or view the readings and see if that confirms the MAP, or points to something else. A MAP should read about 100kPa (or current atmospheric pressure) with key on, engine off, and 25 to 33kPa when idling, I believe.

Cold start problems could be linked to the same fault, cold start needs rich mix, not lean.

Forscan is a powerful Ford specific system. Cost £15.00 for the interface. Needs a computer of some sort. (COM port, USB, bluetooth or WiFi interfaces available). Not as simple as the self contained OBD2 scanner.

You will find a lot about ELM327 & Forscan on this site, which together provide a very comprehensive diagnosis & maintenance tool.

James (jeebowhite) has done a nice guide: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=21196

For an ELM327 adapter, see
http://www.spanglefish.com/TunnelratElectronics/index.asp?pageid=516992

you will also need a program called Forscan, its free and you can get it from

http://forscan.org/download.html

Peter.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Peter

Many thanks for the time taken to respond to my query.  As i was having trouble getting the scanner to show the readings i needed and it was almost impossible for me to access the MAP sensor without taking the car apart i ended up taking the car to a garage. It turns out the the fuel pump was faulty and this led to the engine light error, which has now been replaced. 

Perhaps you can assist me with the following issue. I purchased a fob from eBay which included the transponder and a blank key, i had the key cut yesterday and it works to open the door. I have also managed to program it so that i can unlock & lock the car. I am having trouble getting the transponder to pair with the car, i have two keys which came when i purchased the car (second hand) these are the keys 1 & 2 starting from the right hand-side of the picture. I have followed the sequence of turning key 1 to position II (for 3-10 seconds) then within 5 seconds inserting key 2 to position II (for 3-10 seconds) and then key 3 (the new key) for (for 3-10 seconds) but nothing seems to happen. 

When i took the key to be cut the guy who cut it scanned the key in his machine and said the chip was present. 

Where am i going wrong?

Once again i really appreciate your assistance.

Kind regards

David

image1.JPG

2 hours ago, Cojenss said:

I am having trouble getting the transponder to pair with the car,

There are 3 almost entirely independent parts of a Ford key:

The mechanical blade, that can unlock a door, and allows the ignition switch to turn.

The remote control, which is the buttons on the key fob. This only controls the central locking. It can be programmed by the key in ignition sequence (turn 6 times, press a button etc). It sounds like you have done this.

Then there is the Ford PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System).  It is intended to be (and is) a pretty severe theft deterrent. But it can be a right pain for legitimate users.

There is some confusion over the programming of new keys to PATS. The Mk1 Focus manual gives the ignition on/off with all 3 keys procedure that you have tried. My Mk2 manual says nothing,  just get a key from a Ford dealer.

I have seen other references to "ignition on/off" sequences, but these all seem to be American, or rather old. As far as I know, they do not apply to modern European Fords, like the Focus Mk2.

So I only know of two ways to re-programme PATS on Mk2 Focus:

1) Take it to a Ford dealer, or other garage with IDS and relevant experience.

2) Use Forscan. This system can programme PATS for Mk2 Focus (Forscan version 2.2.4 on), but it is not very easy. It requires opting in to a special license on the Forscan site, the system may then extract a security number from the car, which you have to enter into a Ford web site. This gives another code, which Forscan can enter into the car to enable the key. I suspect this would need a laptop, with full Windows version of Forscan.

If anyone knows of a third, easier, way, Please say! But I have just found a rather definite answer (No 3rd way!) in:

For the Forscan description see: http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=839

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club