Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can glow plugs be tested with a multi meter, if yes then how ??

Fastlife91

2 hours ago, Fastlife91 said:

Hi

yeah, it's been like more than a year and still losing water, no symptoms of HG failure other than having to replace leaking radiator and 2 coolant hoses and metal pipes.  seems to be High pressure in cooling system . However no oil/water mix, no power loss, no smoke (until recently when start up after overnight park) 

When car has been parked overnight, for about 1 minute or so I start it and quite a lot of white smoke comes out the exhaust for about 30 seconds - 1 minute. car also vibrates/shakes when press the gas on initial start up, after a minute or so it clears and car drives great all day and night.

The glow plugs I was given are all giving a reading of about 00.9 on the multimeter, does this mean the plugs are okay ?

if it was the head gasket allowing water into the cylinders would I be seeing oil/water mixing e.t..c  ? 

thank you very much for your help

I don't think that 0.9 is useful tbh, I assume that's set on resistance (ohms)?  Maybe put up a picture of the sign with this 200 as it could be a few different things.

If you're dead set on using the meter, check they are all getting voltage as other people have described above.  Then move onto ohms to check resistance.  

Tbh the easiest thing to do without using the meter is take the plug out, and put a spare wire between it and the battery, and the plug will glow red if it's good.  There will be YouTube videos on this to explain.

As for the headgasket, you won't always get oil and water mixing, in fact of all the headgaskets I've done I've only seen one mixing oil and water.  When they fail between water ways and cylinders you get pressure in the coolant with the engine running then with the engine off the water leaks into the cylinder.  However this exact situation happened on of my cars...It lasted 3 weeks before the radiator hose exploded and cooked the engine...There's no way it's last a year imo!

56 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I don't think that 0.9 is useful tbh, I assume that's set on resistance (ohms)?  Maybe put up a picture of the sign with this 200 as it could be a few different things.

If you're dead set on using the meter, check they are all getting voltage as other people have described above.  Then move onto ohms to check resistance.  

Tbh the easiest thing to do without using the meter is take the plug out, and put a spare wire between it and the battery, and the plug will glow red if it's good.  There will be YouTube videos on this to explain.

As for the headgasket, you won't always get oil and water mixing, in fact of all the headgaskets I've done I've only seen one mixing oil and water.  When they fail between water ways and cylinders you get pressure in the coolant with the engine running then with the engine off the water leaks into the cylinder.  However this exact situation happened on of my cars...It lasted 3 weeks before the radiator hose exploded and cooked the engine...There's no way it's last a year imo!

what does 0.9 set on resistance mean and set to OHM mean ??  I really don't understand how multi meters work despite buying one recently ! 

what do you think may be causing this problem with my car if not the glow plugs ?

if I was to want to get the HG replaced how much should I expect a backstreet garage to charge on a 1.8 tdci ford focus 2006 sport  to replace the head gasket /

thanks

Fastlife, I commend that you want to learn I really do, and don't take this the wrong way... If you don't understand how to use these things and what they mean it can cause many more problems than you know.

You give us one thing you don't understand, we diagnose something and you go throw money at it, potentially cause damage and then back to square one. Potentially fixing more that's not broken.

I would recommend if you can, it's worth really getting one to one support on these issues, I'm not sure what you do for a living but even if you ask around a few garages and indies and see if anyone would be willing to teach you a few things and you help out, it's going to be a better way to learn, as forum education can be complicated enough, but if you have difficulties interpreting the responses you get along with a lack of understanding of the systems and the tools and their values they find it really can lead you into a worse position.

Ask around a few garages, see if anyone would be willing to train you, put a few hours in and learn all about these things, it will help you in the long run and also it would help us, as you understand more and then your accurate information and tests can help us.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jeebowhite said:

Fastlife, I commend that you want to learn I really do, and don't take this the wrong way... If you don't understand how to use these things and what they mean it can cause many more problems than you know.

You give us one thing you don't understand, we diagnose something and you go throw money at it, potentially cause damage and then back to square one. Potentially fixing more that's not broken.

I would recommend if you can, it's worth really getting one to one support on these issues, I'm not sure what you do for a living but even if you ask around a few garages and indies and see if anyone would be willing to teach you a few things and you help out, it's going to be a better way to learn, as forum education can be complicated enough, but if you have difficulties interpreting the responses you get along with a lack of understanding of the systems and the tools and their values they find it really can lead you into a worse position.

Ask around a few garages, see if anyone would be willing to train you, put a few hours in and learn all about these things, it will help you in the long run and also it would help us, as you understand more and then your accurate information and tests can help us.

hey

I do want to learn, I have spent thousands in almost 5 years on car repairs, I have been ripped off and lied too so many times. I've had more car disrepair than I can throw a stick at. I am trying to fix things myself from now on and so far I have replaced.

car radiator

glow plugs

wheel bearing

cv joint gaiter

tie rod

track rod ends

brake pads

brake discs

thermostat

and a few other small jobs.

I just do not know how to use multimeters

not sure I want to get into deep stuff but would not mind some bits.

I am 25 not sure garages would hire me as somebody with little auto know how

Don't look at it as hiring. I'm thinking more popping along and learning, volunteer to help out with a few little jobs at an auto electrician for example, no pay, just be around and you could learn a lot more :)

21 minutes ago, jeebowhite said:

Don't look at it as hiring. I'm thinking more popping along and learning, volunteer to help out with a few little jobs at an auto electrician for example, no pay, just be around and you could learn a lot more :)

**somebody kill me now **

but a lot of garages won't let you enter workshop for insurance reasons, right ?

2 minutes ago, Fastlife91 said:

but a lot of garages won't let you enter workshop for insurance reasons, right ?

Sadly this is correct, I've offered to work at a few for free but it's just not allowed these days. :sad: . Either that or they just didn't like the look of me! :laugh:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Sadly this is correct, I've offered to work at a few for free but it's just not allowed these days. :sad: . Either that or they just didn't like the look of me! :laugh:

I've been to garages were I have approached the mechanics in the workshop but have been told to exit the work area due to the insurance thingies they have in place

I just won't bother offering my advice any further then.

And no, they won't let a passer by walk in do whatever you want and stand around, however if you are under their care with their approval and working with them and their liability insurance covers it they will, I have friends who do this very thing, but clearly I have no idea what I'm talking about, nor have I been in a working garage with my friend under their liability insurance and learning from them for many times, so my experience is not worth sharing.

But don't worry fastlife I only tried constantly to explain, give you advice, suggestions and guidance on how you can help yourself,im so glad it was so clearly appreciated and that your very clear mannerisms show the value and reflect how constructively I have wasted my time replying to you.

Good luck with the car, but I'm sure you will understand why I opt not to further offer assistance to you, as Im sure you will be grateful, not to have to read the drivel I post.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jeebowhite said:

I just won't bother offering my advice any further then.

And no, they won't let a passer by walk in do whatever you want and stand around, however if you are under their care with their approval and working with them and their liability insurance covers it they will, I have friends who do this very thing, but clearly I have no idea what I'm talking about, nor have I been in a working garage with my friend under their liability insurance and learning from them for many times, so my experience is not worth sharing.

But don't worry fastlife I only tried constantly to explain, give you advice, suggestions and guidance on how you can help yourself,im so glad it was so clearly appreciated and that your very clear mannerisms show the value and reflect how constructively I have wasted my time replying to you.

Good luck with the car, but I'm sure you will understand why I opt not to further offer assistance to you, as Im sure you will be grateful, not to have to read the drivel I post.

like, what the hell ?!

Have I upset you , I did not say you wasted your time replying to me, I did not throw anything back in your face, what has upset you this time ?

wow, seriously ?

Start by reading the reply I quoted, and when you get to **somebody kill me now**, imagine I was stood in front of you for hours, trying to help you and that was your reply,and imagine why anybody wouldn't want to walk away.

• Like 2

jeebo has been more than patient and polite , i wont be.

1 buying a multimeter is no use whatsoever if you dont possess the knowledge needed for diagnosing electrical faults - and sorry but you cant get that just by talking on a forum. 

2 the only person making a big deal of of your learning difficulties is you , no-one gets singled out unfairly on this forum that i've ever seen.

3 starting another thread kicking off & complaining about comments made to you is only going to make members avoid trying to help you further.

calm down and seek some professsional help with your cars problems. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, jeebowhite said:

Start by reading the reply I quoted, and when you get to **somebody kill me now**, imagine I was stood in front of you for hours, trying to help you and that was your reply,and imagine why anybody wouldn't want to walk away.

Ohh, I see. I supposed it has come across the wrong way and I can see how this can be. I meant somebody kill me now meaning there is so much to learn and it can be so frustrating so that is why I said that, nothing to do with my conversation with you as such.

Oooohhhhhh I see. I suppose it has come across the wrong way and I can see how this can be. I meant somebody kill me now meaning there is so much to learn and how frustrating it can be so that is why I said that, nothing to do with you conversation with you as such.

does this clear that little mis understanding up ?

cheers

29 minutes ago, biff55 said:

jeebo has been more than patient and polite , i wont be.

1 buying a multimeter is no use whatsoever if you dont possess the knowledge needed for diagnosing electrical faults - and sorry but you cant get that just by talking on a forum. 

2 the only person making a big deal of of your learning difficulties is you , no-one gets singled out unfairly on this forum that i've ever seen.

3 starting another thread kicking off & complaining about comments made to you is only going to make members avoid trying to help you further.

calm down and seek some professsional help with your cars problems. 

3 minutes ago, Fastlife91 said:

Oooohhhhhh I see. I suppose it has come across the wrong way and I can see how this can be. I meant somebody kill me now meaning there is so much to learn and how frustrating it can be so that is why I said that, nothing to do with you conversation with you as such.

does this clear that little mis understanding up ?

cheers

see above

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club