Sign in to follow this  

2.0 Ecoboost (203 hp) - funny noises at idle?

Hi all

Just joined the forum because Im seriously considering buying a 2010 plate Mondeo Titanium with the 2 litre 200hp Ecoboost engine, and Im hoping you good people can offer some advice on the noises its making at idle.

The car is in spot on condition, has a full service history, 90000 miles on the clock. It drives great and pulls well, and the engine sounds fine when its revved.

At idle, there is quite a loud ticking noise - almost like badly adjusted tappets in days of yore, but coming from the right hand side of the engine, not the cylinder head. When revved, it seems to stop doing it and the engine sounds sweet as a nut.

There's also a constant low pitched whine which significantly drops in volume when the aircon is switched on.

Both noises are almost inaudible with the bonnet closed.

Im given to believe that direct injection engines do sound different from conventional, so I dont know if I should be concerned about what Im hearing.

Can anyone shed some light on what might be making these noises and should they stop me from buying the car?

Many thanks in advance

Sorry about the delay in replying I had a check on my car which is a 2010 model And yes the noise is the same on the engine it is just like a ticking sound mine has 84k on it and I have owned it for 18 months with no issues and the Ford dealer mechs say it is a great engine they all rate the petrol engines over diesel especially the Ecoboost ones if it has powershift  check the oil and filter in the box has been changed at the correct intervals or they are known for some issues due to lack of oil and filter changes .