Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta revs at 1200rpm on start up

adzie123

Hi,

For the last few weeks whenever I start my fiesta, the engine dial shows the revs at 1100rpm - 1200rpm. 

Looking around on the forums for Fords and other cars this is apparently normal in cold starts

It's currently summer and its still occuring...is this something to be worried about? 

At the start of June I had the timing/cam belt changed alongside battery and water pump. Not sure if this could be the issue? 

Not entirely sure what mark my Fiesta is as some sites say 6 and others say 6.5 but its a 56 plate 3DR Zetec with a 1.25 petrol engine. It has red dash interior too! 

The optimal temperature is 90 degrees c for coolant. Starting your car up when it is uk temps out is still cold for an engine. When you start the engine up it sort of assumes the worst conditions such as bad fuel, cold outside, air quality is bad etc. If your engine is showing a couple bars on the coolant readout on the dash and your car isn't idling at 800-900 rpm, then you might have something wrong.

Just remember oil doesn't get fully up to temperature for a good 10 miles of driving at least. It's also considered a bad thing to start your car up and drive off straight away, let the oil get flowing first.

• Like 1

That is normal for a cold start. During the winter as the outside temp drops the revs could be higher.

Perfectly Normal, you'll see in the cold it will sit higher as above states, nothing to worry about.

Cheers guys thanks for the reply

@Luke4efc did what you recommended today too regarding watching when the revs go down. When the oil temp starts moving from 60 -> 75 after 5-10 mins the engine revs at 900rpm so car seems to be running fine then!

Had another question on cold start too. As stated in the first post, at the start of June I had the cam belt changed. When I started the car this morning around 5am the windows were frosted to an extent so it was relatively cold and the timing belt was making a hissing noise on engine ignition but disappeared a few minutes into the drive. 

Does the cam belt need looking into again? Just worried its going to make noises this coming winter.

Are you sure it wad the cam belt? Could have been the serpentine belt or even one of the pulleys themselves that might have a shaft with a bad bearing. See if it happens again and maybe look into it.

45 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

Are you sure it wad the cam belt? Could have been the serpentine belt or even one of the pulleys themselves that might have a shaft with a bad bearing. See if it happens again and maybe look into it.

Ah right ok. I assumed that was changed with the cam belt as the mechanic mentioned that a belt for the alternator, steering, water pump etc was changed

I've also just gone outside and taken a video: http://vimple.co/a40eccb801c4414cb8843d8e728dcda7

Does this indicate what it coulod be?

Out of interest @adzie123 where abouts are you? Frost in July, I'm hoping it's not the UK ☹️. I'm not particularly mechanically minded/experienced and @Luke4efc has lost me with his knowledge but I don't hear a lot of difference between the wife's Fiesta and yours. I'm also hoping 'efc' is not a hat tip to the second best team in Merseyside [emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@Jonro2009 Yeah its a odd one...waking up in the morning in July and seeing the windows frosted over...not to an extent of what you see in January but enough for the wipers to do one sweep to clear it up and I'm based just inside the M25 in East London! (Actually 10 minutes drives from West Hams Upton Park Ground) Glad to hear that your wife's and my car sound alike! Reassuring as I use mine to work and do about 110 miles a week and rather not start looking for a new car yet! (saving for an RS)

Wasn't even aware Merseyside  had any decent football clubs....would always thought that if your looking at a decent club up North...usually its the red side of Manchester :) 

Oof, shots fired! Haha.

I'm sure somebody will be able to give you a more experienced based answer to your engine noise though. As long as it is driving well you are golden. An RS would be great and so would a wife that cooks, cleans and waits on you hand and foot but you cant have both. Or so my wife says!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Mine often starts and hovers around the 1100 mark but once revved a little or after driving around a while it idles how it should. It seems it is a normal thing....if it starts hunting (car seems to rev itself a little) this may be an issue with your ignition coils.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club