Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 fiesta panoramic roof and spare wheel

Jonson

Does anybody have a definitive answer as to why it is not possible to spec a spare wheel with the panoramic roof? 

Dealer thinks it might be to do with weight/ emissions. 

Ford live chat thinks the wheel well might be used for something else.

Anybody know for sure?

TIA

Jon

I don't know for certain but I would guess weight is the issue.

I can't think the well is used for anything to do with the roof.

Which should mean there is nothing stopping you from buying the spare after and putting one in yourself.

Don't think it's down to the panoramic roof. More likely a model that is available with panoramic roof has the B&O setup. The spare wheel well is filled with the subwoofer assembly. 

• 4 months later...

Is this to do with the torsional rigidity of the car being weakened by the aperture in the roof.and the possibility of the body deforming if the car is jacked up on one corner. Anybody any thoughts ?

Wow, that is interesting. I can't think what the reason could be!

Simply buy the car with the panoramic roof and then purchase a spare wheel from elsewhere (you can get them much cheaper than what Ford charge!). You will be looking for a spare with similar dimensions to this:

• Rim size: 14" x 5.5
  • Tyre size: 175/65 R14

Wouldn't surprise me if it's just weight. The cars have to be type approved and meet their emissions targets.

They also have to be able to take so much load, potentially a tow bar. Adding a panoramic roof and spare wheel is a lot of extra weight.

Otherwise you'll end up with what Honda do, which is different MPG and CO2 ratings for models with panoramic roofs.

21 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Wouldn't surprise me if it's just weight. The cars have to be type approved and meet their emissions targets.

They also have to be able to take so much load, potentially a tow bar. Adding a panoramic roof and spare wheel is a lot of extra weight.

Otherwise you'll end up with what Honda do, which is different MPG and CO2 ratings for models with panoramic roofs.

Introduced in Sept 2017 is the WLTP (Worldwide Harmonised Light-duty vehicles Test Procedure). This requires all new vehicles to take into account all equipment options which would influence aerodynamics, weight and rolling resistance. In this new test procedure every kilogram counts (apparently).

Honda are the clever ones then. Getting in before the rest of the world is forced to follow.

• 1 year later...

On this subject we just bought a Fiesta ST with a pan roof and the Dealer said he could supply a dealer accessory spare himself.

In the end he backed off, as another customer had tried this and when he came to use the spare it would not fit over the ST's brake calipers.

Was this the wrong wheel?  I'm not sure.

If you have the false floor the skinny spare will sit on top of the sub under the false floor - it robs boot space but it will fit.

20190228_123050.jpg

20190228_123037.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

If this is in a Titanium then the wheels will be 16” wheels - that size spare in the boot looks too small in rolling circumference ? 

1 hour ago, OldPastures said:

If this is in a Titanium then the wheels will be 16” wheels - that size spare in the boot looks too small in rolling circumference ? 

It is a Titanium  - the spare was Ford dealer supplied

• 2 weeks later...

Ford supply a 14” spare which is not the same size and not the same rolling circumference and my understanding is that it should only be used temporarily in the same way as you would use a space saver temporarily.

Mines the same. It is a 14 inch wheel but the tyre size is different and makes up the size.   I've used one and the car drives quite normally but you are advised not to go over 50 mph.

As above. The temporary spacesaver spare supplied by Ford as an option on the Mk 8 is 14" with a 175/65 tyre to make up the rolling circumference, except on the ST-3 where it is a 15" with a 175/65x15 tyre.

My wife has a similar problem with a Renault Kadjar.   It has a sunroof and a large bass unit where the spare goes.   She got a latex fill kit instead of a spare.   However she has the Type 1 Latex Allergy and if she comes into contact with latex she goes into anaphylactic shock; a life threatening condition.   I bought a spare, removed the bass unit and, although the spare fits in the space it protrudes out of the top.   The spare has to be carried in the boot and I wonder if the Fiestas with the sunroof have the same problem.

1 hour ago, Bobr said:

I wonder if the Fiestas with the sunroof have the same problem.

This thread has some interesting solutions to accommodating a spare in the Vignale which has the pan roof and a subwoofer.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club