Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,429 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:57 PM

Lenny any more thoughts on this snorkel??? I too was surprised when i saw this and thought about removing it completely and replacing it with a hose pointing down towards the intercooler area

Hi Sal
I had a thought that the mountune replacemnent airbox lid for the RS may fit the airbox on the diesel,
Im not 85% sure which means i wont be purchasing it to try, unless i can pick one up second hand or i can confirm the part number for the airbox base to be the same. Because on the inside of the airbox lid their are 3 lines with 3 different part numbers, two of them say diesel followed by the part number and one says petrol.
But which petrol engine is it compliant with? I have yet to find out.

I had thought of purchasing some fittings from JJC Racing to bring the rectangular tip of the airbox to a round port to fit a custom snorkle followed by another mesh wide scoop on the outer end then fit lower in the front end, but my daily route to work is subject to some flooding when heavy rain occours,
So this is detering me from doing anything with it.
But their is a noticeable increase in sound and torque when the slam plate is removed.
Maybe fit a mesh port to the slam panel just above the stock induction port location, would increase flow and remain high up from the road.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#62 james_60

james_60

Too much time on the boards

• FOC Supporters
  • 970 posts
  • Name: Jamie
  • Ford Model: 2013 Focus Titanium X 1.6TDCI 115BHP
  • Year: 2013

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:29 PM

Hi Lenny

I think it is to do with the snorkel as described by salsheikh

No way is it the air filter.

Maybe i should get the ecu updated and see if that helps.

Its still new really (7400 miles)

Would changing the oil help as that must be full of metal (plus the oil filter)

Jamie

#63 Yaticus

Yaticus

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Mk2
  • Year: 2005

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

Hello,
Im new to this forum (feel free to be as critical as you want) as i have only owned my 2005 mk2 1.6 TDCI (110ps) for a week now. Ive been thinking into buying the cotton green filter for mine, But due to the mixed reviews im not sure. There seems to be a difference in diesel and petrol in response to the new filter. If anyone with experience of the upgrade was to sum it up? Is it worth the upgrade and the money. (especially with a Diesel in mind)

Also if i was to upgrade what shape would be my? Cylindrical or panel?

Thanks

#64 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,429 posts
Contributor

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

Hello,
Im new to this forum (feel free to be as critical as you want) as i have only owned my 2005 mk2 1.6 TDCI (110ps) for a week now. Ive been thinking into buying the cotton green filter for mine, But due to the mixed reviews im not sure. There seems to be a difference in diesel and petrol in response to the new filter. If anyone with experience of the upgrade was to sum it up? Is it worth the upgrade and the money. (especially with a Diesel in mind)

Also if i was to upgrade what shape would be my? Cylindrical or panel?

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum,
I too have a 1.6TDCi i found the Green Cotton filter to be a great upgrade resulting in smoother gear change and increased fuel econemy.
But i do also have a 2.5" exhaust system and ecu remap which all play their part in performance so listen to others before purchase encase the filter for me was the iceing on the cake.

#65 Yaticus

Yaticus

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Mk2
  • Year: 2005

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

Hello

Thanks for the reply, ill keep that in mind. That brings me on to the next thing is the ECU remap. What am i looking to pay for a good remap. I have looked into Super chip and Bluefin and thay are a tad expensive. Im low on the monies at the momment

Cheers

#66 james_60

james_60

Too much time on the boards

• FOC Supporters
  • 970 posts
  • Name: Jamie
  • Ford Model: 2013 Focus Titanium X 1.6TDCI 115BHP

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

Hi

Bluefin is expensive but its proven. And you can remove the remap at a moments notice ie if the car goes in for work etc etc

Jamie

#67 gc88

gc88

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Name: Gav
  • Ford Model: Zetec S 2.0
  • Year: 2009

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

I know o asked else where, but this is related to this also.

Anyone with a petrol engine got views on ifthis changes your engine sound? Anyone combined this witg drilling your airbox too?

#68 b1g_dav3

b1g_dav3

Ford Enthusiast

• 2,516 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
Contributor

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

Hm, can't seem to find one of these for my 1.6 diesel Fiesta :(

#69 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts
  • Name: Sal
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 Turbo D
  • Year: 2008

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:48 AM

Hm, can't seem to find one of these for my 1.6 diesel Fiesta :(

this is what i found:

http://www.knfilters...sta&engine=1.6L

dunno why oil filters came up!

#70 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

I know o asked else where, but this is related to this also.

Anyone with a petrol engine got views on ifthis changes your engine sound? Anyone combined this witg drilling your airbox too?

Go for it Gav, it will give a nice roar when you boot it! if its a panel filter your getting then drill box on top only, if its a round filter then on wing side, away from engine heat.

#71 gc88

gc88

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Name: Gav
  • Ford Model: Zetec S 2.0

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:56 AM

Go for it Gav, it will give a nice roar when you boot it! if its a panel filter your getting then drill box on top only, if its a round filter then on wing side, away from engine heat.

I think ill Give it a go. But by design(its a round one) I can't drill in the wing wide as that's where the sealed end of the filter is.

I'll have to drill the front, ie behind the head lights.

I'm worried as to what hole size and how many.

I'm thinking 3 or 4 1inch holes?

#72 salsheikh

salsheikh

Sal_Sheikh

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

behind the headlights should be fine. i did lots of 10mm holes on my previous car.

#73 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,429 posts
Contributor

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:16 AM

update on theroy and research;
Thanks to some information from my good friends at european-parts.net
It seems my theroy of fitting an RS induction box to the 1.6TDCi would be possible,
From reading their listing regarding the K&N 57S air box lid, says it fits the petrol, diesel and RS
So in 2013 i will purchase and attempt to fit a dual intake Rs air box with Green Cotton Performance filter.

http://www.european-...roducts_id/1435

#74 vince_13

vince_13

Vince

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Name: Andrew
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec
Contributor

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

hi lenny you said that fitting a rs induction box would fit, is this to say that the rs air filter is bigger than the standard 1.6 air filter? and requires the rs airbox to fit the rs air filter?

#75 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 9,429 posts
Contributor

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

hi lenny you said that fitting a rs induction box would fit, is this to say that the rs air filter is bigger than the standard 1.6 air filter? and requires the rs airbox to fit the rs air filter?

Hi Vince,
I'm not 100% on the direct fitment of the RS/ST airbox and I think the size of stock induction filter is actually the same size.
Because if you look inside the airbox housing you will see three ford part numbers, two of them say diesel after them and one says petrol, meaning the base section of the air bkx is the same as a petrol model I assumed ST/Rs as it look very similar,

I favour the ST/RS induction lid and snorkle because it has a dual induction feed taking air in to the box from the side and the front.
I have since set my sights on more certain fit with the release of the K&N57S bigger airbox lid with bigger filter also additional side induction inlet. Better than an St/Rs stock induction ever could be.
http://www.european-...roducts_id/1435

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Green Performance, K&N, Induction filter, Green Filter, Diesel Performance, Upgrade Filter, Changing filter 1.6tdci focus, TDC performance, priracing.com, Green Cotton Performance

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users