Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Name: Tony
  • Ford Model: granada
  • Year: 1992

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:28 AM

modern engines allow glow plugs to continue to heat for a short while after engine has started, talking in seconds rather than minutes...all to do with fuel economy whilst engine is cold

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#47 Mike77

Mike77

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Name: Mike
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Titanium
  • Year: 2008

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:55 AM

Its not just to do with helping the engine while its cold, they will operate whenever the cars brain senses they need too. Old skool diesels, they just had glow plugs for starting ONLY. But not nowadays. All to do with emissions.

And NO, I'm not saying your in for a massive surge of parts that need replacing lol, fingers crossed everything will be back to normal after new part is fitted. Only reason I mentioned it was, the machine that mine went on for diagnosis was an expensive piece if kit, but couldn't pinpoint the specific part of the glowplug system that was at fault. Just gave me a starting point, so I went for the cheapest first, and got lucky. So just hope your garage has got it right.

And mine is quite sporty too lol, more so after the remap. But in all honesty it was a bit of a waste of time for me, as with age, I'm driving a little more conservatively haha, though I have seen an improvement in MPG, at 36 years of age, I'm almost ashamed to admit that publicly haha.

#48 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:08 AM

mike.
not sure where you got this information re glow plugs, but at most, glow plugs will continue to heat for a maximum of 5 minutes at reduced voltage from cold start, for lower emmission purposes, after that, they would be no benefit of switching plugs on and off

#49 The Bear

The Bear

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Name: Steve
  • Ford Model: 2006 Ford Fusion 1.6 '+'
  • Year: 2006

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

It would be good to clarify exactly what their roles are. My understanding was they were literally just there for cold starts (but I don't mind being wrong... the other half tells me I am often enough :D )

I can certainly see the logic of them burning unburned fuel on the exhaust stroke and the performance issues that could follow if it didn't do that. I'll do some research.

#50 Mike77

Mike77

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

mike.
not sure where you got this information re glow plugs, but at most, glow plugs will continue to heat for a maximum of 5 minutes at reduced voltage from cold start, for lower emmission purposes, after that, they would be no benefit of switching plugs on and off

It is my understanding that the glowplugs will operate anytime the brain senses it needs too. Your theory is basically saying that the car will only have reduced emissions for 5 mins max. Don't forget, on the 1.8 tdci they do not have the benefit (thankfully) of a DPF, to futher help with emissions. Hence the reason other things had to be done to qualify it for its euro 4 classification. I stand to be corrected on this, but from my research, this is how it works.

#51 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 4,954 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
Contributor

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

It is my understanding that the glowplugs will operate anytime the brain senses it needs too. Your theory is basically saying that the car will only have reduced emissions for 5 mins max. Don't forget, on the 1.8 tdci they do not have the benefit (thankfully) of a DPF, to futher help with emissions. Hence the reason other things had to be done to qualify it for its euro 4 classification. I stand to be corrected on this, but from my research, this is how it works.

Once the engine is warm the glow plugs would be doing nothing if they were to come on.

#52 Mike77

Mike77

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

So your absolutely 100% sure about this, as in your that confident in the evidence it would be a water tight case if it were criminal ? Lol........... As I'm not convinced, if it were an old car I would say ok I'm wrong. But I'm sure that even a modern car can run lean or rich and then be corrected by the ECM or PCM whichever the case may be, this is when the glowplugs could be engaged (at a lower voltage) to aid the cleanliness of the emissions. I don't claim to know everything, but no one has explained in detail why what I'm stating is wrong. Or in fact, why they are right lol. So it seems everyone is unsure...

#53 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 4,954 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
Contributor

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

So your absolutely 100% sure about this, as in your that confident in the evidence it would be a water tight case if it were criminal ? Lol........... As I'm not convinced, if it were an old car I would say ok I'm wrong. But I'm sure that even a modern car can run lean or rich and then be corrected by the ECM or PCM whichever the case may be, this is when the glowplugs could be engaged (at a lower voltage) to aid the cleanliness of the emissions. I don't claim to know everything, but no one has explained in detail why what I'm stating is wrong. Or in fact, why they are right lol. So it seems everyone is unsure...

Pretty sure yes lol.

The glow plugs as you know aid ignition, they heat the air/fuel mixture to help it combust when the engine is cold. Once the engine is warm, the heat from the engine itself and that from the compression will easily ignite the fuel mixture. So therefor activating the plugs again is not benefiting anything - it's would probably use more energy by loading the electrical system.

#54 wase16ll

wase16ll

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

technology is advancing rapidly without a doubt, i know a system that incorporates a sensor within the glow plug which acts like a closed loop oxygen sensor, so feeds info to the pcm and fuel can be adjusted to suit, but wether that system is being used right now im unsure about...but either way, heating the glow plug itself once the chamber is already hot will achieve nothing....bear in mind, glow plugs are predominately for heating the air in the chamber, not the fuel.

#55 Pirategirl

Pirategirl

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Name: Amanda
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 tdci Sport

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

Well, I am much better informed and impressed by the amount of knowledge bounding around the forum however, I am nowhere near qualified enough to jump into the debate so shall sit and read from the side lines! ;-)

#56 FOCA

FOCA

Feet on the table

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts
  • Name: FOCA
  • Ford Model: Mondeo Mk3 Sleeper 194 flb.p.t.
  • Year: Non
Contributor

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

Well, I am much better informed and impressed by the amount of knowledge bounding around the forum however, I am nowhere near qualified enough to jump into the debate so shall sit and read from the side lines! ;-)

Members on here have different levels of or specalised knowlege but all with an interest in Ford cars   I would not worry about not being "qualified" or an expert and you can still have an opinion, after all, you are the Original Poster  

#57 Mike77

Mike77

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:12 PM

Yeah,,,,, jump in, call me a name and I'll call you one back haha.
Its all about trying to help other people out with what you know today, coz maybe tomorrow you'll be the one needing the help. And if you don't know,,,, then ask anyway, there will always be someone willing to give helpful advice. Its a community of love and wellbeing lol.

#58 Pirategirl

Pirategirl

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Name: Amanda
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 tdci Sport

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:02 PM

Lol, thanks guys. I think the forum is great and really pleased with all the help I have received :-D

#59 Stoney871

Stoney871

Resident Peacekeeper

• Super Mod
  • 14,434 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 1.8 TDCI Sport
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:05 PM

We do our best.
A few here are mechanics/techs but most of us are just good ole car nuts.

#60 Mike77

Mike77

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:43 AM

We do our best.
A few here are mechanics/techs but most of us are just good ole car nuts.

Or a mixture of them all lol :blink:

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users