Sign in or register to start a topic...

#1007 jim_b

jim_b

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Ford Model: Mk 7 Fiesta Titanium 1.6 TiVCT
  • Year: 2009
Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:02 PM

I am after some advice please, as this is my first new car, my Ford garage advised that they had put on two coats of AG HD wax when I collected the car last month. Reading the useful detailing info on here, many thanks Dan et al :) , I have only done the basic wash so far - how long do you reckon the wax will last before needing to re-apply ?.

#1008 DanGull

DanGull

Area Rep: Midlands (Despite owning a Seat)

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,229 posts
  • Ford Model: Formerly a Mk7 Fiesta Titanium 1.6 TiVCT now a Seat Leon FR+ 2.0TDI 170
  • Year: 2014

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:22 PM

I've had 3 months out of a coat of HD wax - however, that was after I'd been applying wax for a while and was happy with my technique, there can be no guarantee of how well the wax has been applied from a dealer unfortunately.

Too thick (as is most likely) - and it won't have bonded too well in the first place and will be gone quickly. There are two ways of checking your wax layers - the swipe test (where you swipe a finger over the paint and see if you can feel the wax moving) or a better way is keep an eye on your beading when the car is wet.

#1009 Strutter

Strutter

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Ford Model: Mk7 Titanuim Dress Up Kit, 17s

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:48 AM

SHouldnt be a problem with our weather!

Got a few more things but the best thing so far was an EZ Brush for the wheels, absolutly amazing, keep it in a warm bucket to soften the britles up and it can even fit thru the small holes in teh 17;s and reaches right around teh brake pad area as well!

#1010 aph1101

aph1101

Local Rep: Cambridgeshire and Rutland

• PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Ford Model: 1.6TDCi Fiesta Titanium

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:32 PM

On the subject of wheel brushes, I recently bought the Silveline wheel brush and I can't reccommend it highly enough. It's dirt cheap (2.50), about a foot long, very soft, and can fit all the way through the spokes of the titanium 16" alloys. Dead chuffed with it!

#1011 ozzrahog

ozzrahog

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Ford Model: fiesta titanium 1.6TDCI

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:07 PM

Well, first good weekend of the spring so the car got a good seeing too today, snow foam, wash, polish and sealed.

However one area that is a let down is the top edge of the back seat and head restraints which gets a liberal dosing of labrador spit and has a grey sort of water mark, what would any one suggest as a good fabric cleaner

Cheers

#1012 DanGull

DanGull

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,229 posts
  • Ford Model: Formerly a Mk7 Fiesta Titanium 1.6 TiVCT now a Seat Leon FR+ 2.0TDI 170

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:25 PM

All Purpose Cleaner - Meguiars if you want to go fancy, Tesco Daisy if you're not bothered about the brand...

#1013 Fast Fiesta

Fast Fiesta

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk7

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:56 PM

This is where i really come into my environment, i am always washing/waxing/cleaning etc. To date i have probably spend excess of 400 on products, equipment, one thing i truly am particular about is an immaculate car.

I spend roughly six hours each time. not one place of the car is unlooked or untouched.
And most importantly wax everywhere possible, keeps it protected!! :)

Posted Image

#1014 DanGull

DanGull

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:21 AM

This is where i really come into my environment, i am always washing/waxing/cleaning etc. To date i have probably spend excess of 400 on products, equipment, one thing i truly am particular about is an immaculate car.

I spend roughly six hours each time. not one place of the car is unlooked or untouched.
And most importantly wax everywhere possible, keeps it protected!! :)

Posted Image

Nice reflections - think how good they'd be if you spent a decent amount of time on it ;)

#1015 Gazjs

Gazjs

Area Rep: Central and North Scotland (Detailing Obsessive)

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,873 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk 6 Facelift
Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:01 PM

Nice reflections - think how good they'd be if you spent a decent amount of time on it ;)

:lol:

#1016 Fast Parrot

Fast Parrot

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Ford Model: Mk7 Fiesta Titanium 1.6 TDCi

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:49 PM

I couldn't find the answer in a search so I thought I'd ask.

Are the synthetic wool wash mitts worth a buy? Are they as good or nearly as good as lamb's wool mitts? I was in Halfrauds and saw a wash mitt made of the wool of a sheep but it was 7.99 :o - is that any good?

Synthetic wool wash mitt

Cheers for any advice.

#1017 DanGull

DanGull

• FOC Supporters
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:06 PM

That Kent mitt isn't bad actually. I have never been a fan of Lamb's wool mitts, they rot if not kept perfectly dry.

Can't beat a Megs mf mitt for me - currently in the 3 for 2 at Halfords.

#1018 greenymk7

greenymk7

Area Rep: Midlands (Detailing Guru)

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec-S TDCI

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:12 AM

Bogof on these at the moment, worth getting the 2 so u can use one for top and one for bottom.

http://www.monzacarc...le-wash-mitt/0/

normally have some good deals on as well and very reliable.

#1019 andyedge

andyedge

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Name: Andy
  • Ford Model: Panther Black Fiesta Metal 2012
  • Year: 2012

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:10 PM

Cheapest price I have found for lambswool wash mitts is from sheepskinshop.co.uk
http://www.sheepskin...nd Polish Mitts
2 for 12.75 inc delivery.

Bought 4 about a year ago & the first 2 are still going strong (1 for top & 1 for bottom)

A good tip for drying them is to keep the cuff open after washing using something like the inner from a roll of sellotape.

Not too sure about their seat covers though :o

#1020 Graham89

Graham89

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk7 Titanium

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:34 AM

Is there anything in particular anyone has found that is good for cleaning/polishing the chrome bits on a Titanium?
Since it's only plastic and not actual chrome I don't really know what would be best to use on it.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users