Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ECO mode

Mavroz

1 hour ago, ElliotReid said:

The removal of the 3 door versions of various trim levels has annoyed me somewhat as I wanted a 3 door Titanium but now I'll be going for an ST-Line X 140ps instead. 

Definitely annoying but I understand the reasoning behind it. The 3 door is definitely best suited to being an st-line in my opinion but getting rid of it from other trims is a shame as I was somewhat impressed that ford kept up the 3 doors across the range given that most small cars don’t have a 3 door version at all nowadays. 

2 hours ago, ElliotReid said:

The removal of the 3 door versions of various trim levels has annoyed me somewhat as I wanted a 3 door Titanium but now I'll be going for an ST-Line X 140ps instead. 

A note of caution - I spotted a few anomalies in the latest price list so would look carefully. For example, in the ST-3 section it mentions "extra to ST-1" which seems to have disappeared otherwise, and the ST-2 is shown as having EATC and  manual air conditioning which makes no sense! Obviously it depends what features you are after, but in the latest list the ST-2 is not a lot more than an an ST- Line X 140.

4 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

A note of caution - I spotted a few anomalies in the latest price list so would look carefully. For example, in the ST-3 section it mentions "extra to ST-1" which seems to have disappeared otherwise, and the ST-2 is shown as having EATC and  manual air conditioning which makes no sense! Obviously it depends what features you are after, but in the latest list the ST-2 is not a lot more than an an ST- Line X 140.

I remember mentioning somewhere on the forum recently that Ford really could do with some proof reading, when ordering mine, the brochure had a range of little mistakes in it but back then I could pass that off as a rush to get a new model out but given the car's been out for a while, it's a little bit embarrassing they can't get a brochure right - showing both manual and auto air-con as standard being the prime example.

To me the ST-Line X is one of the best options out there in terms of small cars - if you can live without the performance of the full-fat ST, with a 140ps engine, it's definitely a very competent performer and the spec (with a couple of extras) and a reasonable discount from a dealer makes it into a superb choice. I would agree in saying that without any discounts, the X is a little bit too pricey but usually the dealers are happy to bring the price down a little. Another reason why the 140ps X makes sense to me is there is a noticeable cost difference in insurance and in everyday driving, I don't feel like I would make the most of the extra performance the ST would offer. Though I'd probably still bite someones hand off for an ST-3 😄 

Plus aesthetically, it doesn't look much different to the ST and therefore retains that "sporty" look which for a small car looks pretty decent in my eyes. 

13 minutes ago, DG97 said:

To me the ST-Line X is one of the best options out there in terms of small cars - if you can live without the performance of the full-fat ST, with a 140ps engine, it's definitely a very competent performer and the spec (with a couple of extras) and a reasonable discount from a dealer makes it into a superb choice. 

Absolutely - I've been zooming about most of the day on various errands (earning loads of brownie points with the Mrs😁) and thinking what a cracking little car it is to drive. Agree you don't really need 200ps in today's traffic conditions but I would appreciate a bit more torque. I feel the ST- Line with, say, the 150ps version of the 1.5 with around 180 lbs/ft of torque would make a lot more sense for more people than a full fat ST.

Apologies for going off topic  - we were supposed to be talking about Eco mode!😀

• Like 1

I don't mind them dropping the 3 door, was glad they dropped the 3 door Focus when the MK3 came out.  It always annoys me finding a nice used car but then seeing it doesn't have enough doors... 😒

They've also dropped B&O audio as an option on most Fiestas in this recent streamlining move.  I read somewhere there were nearly 100 Fiesta choices that they have now halved to around 50 so it does make sense to get rid of slower selling options.  

Different strokes for different folks. It was always good to have the choice given that most manufacturers have dropped 3 door cars and as someone who usually drives a car on his own or maybe with one passenger, i actually prefer the 3 door option and would argue that the fiesta in the st-line/st versions looks better without a set of back doors

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

They've also dropped B&O audio as an option on most Fiestas in this recent streamlining move.  I read somewhere there were nearly 100 Fiesta choices that they have now halved to around 50 so it does make sense to get rid of slower selling options.  

That’s definitely a surprise given that was advertised as one of the bigger things on the new Fiesta when it came out but I suppose if sales numbers didn’t meet expectations, it probably makes sense for them to drop it from the option list for most of the cars. Do you know if the B&O edition trim levels will remain or if they’re a thing of the past? 

5 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Absolutely - I've been zooming about most of the day on various errands (earning loads of brownie points with the Mrs😁) and thinking what a cracking little car it is to drive. Agree you don't really need 200ps in today's traffic conditions but I would appreciate a bit more torque. I feel the ST- Line with, say, the 150ps version of the 1.5 with around 180 lbs/ft of torque would make a lot more sense for more people than a full fat ST.

Apologies for going off topic  - we were supposed to be talking about Eco mode!😀

100% agree , the 140 stlx is the best car I've had in terms of toys and it certainly isn't slow! I'd love the ST but in terms of commuting, I'm ok with the current fuel bill 😂 friend of mine is getting 24.6 mpg with his ST-2 so no good for me who is on the road visiting clients all day.

PS eco mode not that great I've found. Not in the stlx or mk7.5. it seems to reduce throttle slightly but no noticeable difference to mpg

13 hours ago, DG97 said:

Different strokes for different folks. It was always good to have the choice given that most manufacturers have dropped 3 door cars and as someone who usually drives a car on his own or maybe with one passenger, i actually prefer the 3 door option and would argue that the fiesta in the st-line/st versions looks better without a set of back doors

Apart from looks (which is personal preference), what do you find the benefits are of a 3 door model?  Doors are long and heavy which is awkward in tight car park spaces.  The B pillar is too far back making it awkward to reach the seatbelt without twisting awkwardly and putting your back out.  Using the rear seats for either cargo or passengers is a right pain, especially for elderly relatives!  And in the same vane, it makes getting long items in and out of the boot difficult as well.

I agree some cars look better in 3dr as sports models, but can't see any reason for it on a comfort/lux model like a Titanium personally.

13 hours ago, DG97 said:

That’s definitely a surprise given that was advertised as one of the bigger things on the new Fiesta when it came out but I suppose if sales numbers didn’t meet expectations, it probably makes sense for them to drop it from the option list for most of the cars. Do you know if the B&O edition trim levels will remain or if they’re a thing of the past? 

The B&O play models will be staying as far as I understand, but you now won't be able to spec it on a standard Titanium, TX or ST etc.

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The B&O play models will be staying as far as I understand, but you now won't be able to spec it on a standard Titanium, TX or ST etc.

The B&O models are still showing on the configurator (as is the ST-1), but not in the February price list (which is not necessarily to be trusted, as previously noted!). This shows B&O as standard on Titanium X, Vignale, ST-2 and one of the Active versions, £450 option on other models.

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Apart from looks (which is personal preference), what do you find the benefits are of a 3 door model?  Doors are long and heavy which is awkward in tight car park spaces.  The B pillar is too far back making it awkward to reach the seatbelt without twisting awkwardly and putting your back out.  Using the rear seats for either cargo or passengers is a right pain, especially for elderly relatives!  And in the same vane, it makes getting long items in and out of the boot difficult as well.

I agree some cars look better in 3dr as sports models, but can't see any reason for it on a comfort/lux model like a Titanium personally.

I'm with you on this - 3 doors can look great and save £5-600 (which is not to be sniffed at for us Yorkshire folk😀) but from a practical perspective fully agree with the above. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The only advantage for 3 door and a long object is you can flip the front seat forward and run from the glovebox to the hatch lip, on five door cars you can't flip the passenger seat forward.

5 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

As i mentioned, it's a case of different strokes for different folks - to me aesthetics are more important that practicality as someone who drives on his own or sporadically with another person. In the past 12 months that I've had the car, i've carried someone in the back twice so usability of the rear seats is not a major concern. I actually think the larger doors and a B pillar being a bit further back is an advantage - the side windows are bigger and offer better visibility and space permitting, you can get a bigger gap to jump into the car if necessary. Though definitely a bit of a pain in tight spaces, it's by no means an annoyance and it's something I've got used to having ran 3 door cars for around 5-6 years now. I'm not entirely sure how it makes getting long items in the boot more difficult if you're placing the item into the car via the boot but would argue it makes long items easier to carry as if needs be, you can play around with the front seat a little bit to get that extra bit of space which is something you can't really do in the 5 door. 

I do agree with you in that I'd probably prefer the not ST/ST-Line vehicles as a 5 door as if I was choosing the titanium or other non-sport trims, chances are my priorities would be different and would mean I'd probably be after a 5 door anyway. Saying that though, even as a 5 door, the Fiesta is still quite cramped in the back so if I really needed to carry people in the back often enough, I'd have probably looked elsewhere. 

Plus as Eric says, there's a price saving of around £500-600 which is a major advantage as I'm not paying more for something I wouldn't be benefitting from. 

59 minutes ago, Tiexen said:

The only advantage for 3 door and a long object is you can flip the front seat forward and run from the glovebox to the hatch lip, on five door cars you can't flip the passenger seat forward.

Yes indeed, as you and @DG97 mention that can be an advantage. A fold flat front passenger seat would be very useful on most cars for carrying longer loads (I was struggling with a 6 foot flat-pack only yesterday but just managed it!) but few manufacturers seem to provide it, even as an option.

On 3/11/2019 at 11:48 AM, TomsFocus said:

Agreed, just had a look at a few auto Vignales on Autotrader, none seem to have the EcoSelect button.  Some don't even have park assist! 😮 

Having digressed somewhat on this thread😀, just to return to @LindyLouLou's query. Also had a good look through the pictures accompanying various ads and, like Tom, couldn't see any sign or mention of an eco button on a Mk 8 Fiesta auto.

Just browsing through the automatic transmission section of my handbook it states" Drive (D) is the normal driving position for the best fuel economy and smoothness. The transmission shifts to the appropriate gear for optimum performance based on driving conditions and your input. " 

So perhaps D is, in effect, the eco mode. 

(Never actually owned an auto, though I've driven a fair few over the years.  I would normally select Sport mode (if there is one) to speed up response, or shift manually, so perhaps D is the thing for economy.)

• 8 months later...

Hi, I have a brand new fiesta active 125 with the 3 buttons ,Eco normal and slippery mode.

Being a 3cylinder engine I find the eco mode feels and sounds like the mark 7 fiesta saloon which I had?

i don't notice any fall off in full power when and if I need it.

i don't bother about fuel economy ,it just nice and smoother to drive..

l had a 3 cylinder Car 4 or so years ago and whilst the viIbration in the active is at lot less ,it's almost gone

in Eco mode.u

I wish I could set it to Eco as default at startup 

• 1 month later...

I have a Fiesta St Line X 140, delivered new in Mid/Late Nov 2018 - when the car was delivered it was classed as the '2019' version - the Fiesta does have the 'Eco' button, positioned on the left of the 3 buttons in front of the gear lever.

I use Eco mode when I first start driving the car. This prevents you driving the car hard when the engine (coolant) is cold. I've always been told you shouldn't drive hard with cold oil as it may damage the engine. I turn it off when the engine is warm.

Last year I left Eco mode on for a tankful, I noticed 2 or so mpg improvement when I refilled. 44 mpg not 41/42 as I got previously.

I only used Eco mode for the first 1000 miles, i did not really get an MPG increase. My car now has over 4000 miles on the clock and im averaging about 43 mpg not using Eco mode

Used it once in 7000miles and not done again since. Totally dulls the responsiveness of the engine with very little benefit IMHO.

Car currently settled at between 45 and 46mpg without ECO so pretty happy.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club