Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Titanium X Adaptive headlight Problems

jonplatts331@hotmail.co.uk

Hi, I had the same headlight malfunction problem on my 2016 Focus, which the dealer told me was due to a  failed motor which had failed in a position that was illegal and would fail an MOT. As the error occurred close to the MOT date I had no option to pay the main dealer the large sum for a  new assembly and get it fixed.  I did ask them to return the old part to me so that I could investigate and see if the fault related to the issue reported own this site. I found this broken wire which looks to be the same as reported in this thread. I assume from earlier pictures that the connector can be pulled out to solder the wire.  I also found a loose piece of wire with a connector at both ends. Not sure if this has been there all the time or whether the technician just decided to put it in there.  I the middle light cavity there is also a connection part that is laying loose which I assume should have been secured. Would be interested if anyone know whether this is normal

loose connecter part.jpeg

lose connector part detail.jpeg

loose connector wire.jpeg

snapped wire.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Hi All

I have the 2016 Titanium X and have had the same problem.

I have been told that they is a lose wire but because it is sealed within the unit, I have to pay for a whole new unit which has been quoted at £860 + VAT.

As it’s ran out of warranty they won’t repair it for free.

Surely this is a manufacture value.

I am really disappointed and my next car i think i will just buy elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have the same problem - quoted £921-60 for replacement unit by Essex Ford - cost £90 to just check it out and told replacement unit - I have inspected the unit as far as I can but cannot see any issue with anything and no broken wires that I can see. Has anyone found a way to open up the unit to really get into it?

By the way when I enquired with the Parts department about cost of replacement unit it was apparent that I was one of a number with this issue!

On 12/8/2020 at 12:35 PM, Focus owner - Essex said:

Hi all,

I have the same problem - quoted £921-60 for replacement unit by Essex Ford - cost £90 to just check it out and told replacement unit - I have inspected the unit as far as I can but cannot see any issue with anything and no broken wires that I can see. Has anyone found a way to open up the unit to really get into it?

By the way when I enquired with the Parts department about cost of replacement unit it was apparent that I was one of a number with this issue!

Hi,

Finally, after much searching on the Internet, I was able to find an exact replacement unit for £270.00. Works perfectly.

Hi - may I ask where you bought your replacement part from, please? As I have the same issue

Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

Ford focus titanium x Headlamp Malfunction warning light.

If replaced New would be +£700 plus £200 fitting😤

Took headlamp of to investigate and found 3 wires had broken. This may be due to overheating.

Ive contacted a car auto electronics and they said they can fix and wont take much time or money to fix

• 1 month later...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-Mk3-Xenon-Headlight-Fix-Inc-St-Rs-/324410994053

Hi guys

If you do find the wire has snapped or come away from the mounted plug that’s the issue (as many photos on this thread shows). It’s a common fault, the wires don’t have the flex in them to maintain a life time of flexing due to the movement of the light hence the breakage. Ford won’t touch the unit due to them not actually building the unit them selves and they advise a brand new unit. For me I had the middle wire still attached which gave me the lights but had no full beam and the self alignment wouldn’t work. 

Found this guy online (attached link) that has a fix for this issue. Had mine done today and works perfectly. Lucky for me the guy is local to me (Leicester) and he came and fitted it for me for a small fee, took 10 mins to do.  (if you know what your doing) he does travel if needed but you would have to pay extra. In my opinion it would be better than paying the excessive amount for a new unit. 

• Like 1

Hi all as its such a common fault and i have had a few guys on here recommend me (Cheers gaz for recent link to my eBay page) - thought i would add on my website for the fix so its easier for people to buy the part and have a detailed walkthrough to fix themselves. 

As mentioned i can come to you but it does cost due to travel time and distance, but i promise its ALOT cheaper then garage prices and not all lamps need replacing.

https://adaptivefix.com/

Thanks all for recommendations 🙂

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Hi all,

Had the same issues with my 2015 focus titanium x. Driver side lights bringing up the headlight malfunction error. Took the car to see Callum and he found the broken wire straight away. 10 mins later he'd done his magic and the lights are perfect again. Cannot recommend him enough. Great communication and honesty. All this from dreading having a £1000+ bill. Thank you so much Callum.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2018 at 2:41 AM, jonplatts331@hotmail.co.uk said:

Hi. I have been dealing with Ford for 2 years  with this problem.  Ford know about it but won't do anything.    The lights splay out and the beam does not work.  the dash says headlight malfunction service required  but this goes when you turn the car off  .   I have all this on video and dash cam...    Ford dealership have seen it and said yes theres a problem    but because there are no fault codes  won't do anything ..   The car was well in warranty when this happened   now its out of warranty no one wants to know.  .   So now it looks like I have to fork out the bill for it. £940 and it has to be done by ford.............

can anyone help or share before someone gets killed as when your driving its like driving with one headlight. 

It will be a broken wire within the headlight unit. Go to Https:// adaptive fix.com , they do repair kits for£9.99 I fixed mine myself. If you can cut and crimp a cable, it's not a big job. It took me less than 1 hour. Good luck

• 7 months later...

I have seen a lot of people saying about the adaptive fix solution, then found a video on YouTube where someone said at the same time their headlight problem occurred their air conditioning stopped working. I have the same issue. My o/s (drivers side) headlight is faulty and defaults to shine low and to the right (away from the kerb). I have seen people say this is the default position for a focus headlight issue.

I am wanting to by the adaptive fix solution but worried that it seems a bit difficult and the instructions on the website are not 100% easy to understand for a novice, not very experienced person like me to fix. Like many others I have been quoted over £1000 for a new headlight as it a Focus Titanium X so has the xenon chrome bezel headlights. In addition Ford tell me these headlights are on back order and would take at least 8 - 10 weeks!!!. Now my car has failed its MOT and I would so love to fix it with this adaptive fix kit but I am a bit worried. Is there anyone who knows a place that would carry out this fix for me if I bought the part? Needs to be in the South Essex area ideally.

I'd be really interested to see how many people have the headlight and air con. issues happen at the same time. Is 2015 a bad year for the Ford Focus?

• 5 months later...

Thanks to this thread I saved myself an expensive trip to Ford, Found the loose wire and glued it back in until my replacement loom arrives from @Wrenny Thanks everyone!😃

20230201_125852.jpg

• 2 months later...

I had the same problem on my 2015 focus titanium.(drivers side light would move left and right when at a standstill for aboit 30 seconds then alarm out). After a long search I found a fix. There is a site that sells a replacement connector that has 3 wires attached.  All you do is snip the 3 wires on your headlight and attach the replacement and reconnect it. It costs £14.99. It works perfectly now. If anyone needs the site details email me and I will send you the link 

12 hours ago, NUFC72 said:

I had the same problem on my 2015 focus titanium.(drivers side light would move left and right when at a standstill for aboit 30 seconds then alarm out). After a long search I found a fix. There is a site that sells a replacement connector that has 3 wires attached.  All you do is snip the 3 wires on your headlight and attach the replacement and reconnect it. It costs £14.99. It works perfectly now. If anyone needs the site details email me and I will send you the link 

https://adaptivefix.com/

• 4 months later...

Ive got headlight malfunction warning service needed warning light on my titanium x.   Anyone found someone in Essex or South East area that can sort this (not a Ford dealer) ?  Thanks.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club