Jamieking86

Tyre pressure light coming on every 2 weeks

Hi guys, we have a 14 plate fiesta ecoboost 1.0L, we've had the car nearly 2 years now, it's been a great little car, but for the last year or so the tyre pressure light comes on every 2 weeks, sometimes sooner. We've had new tyres, new valves fitted, had the tyres resealed you name it but the light is constantly coming up. It's a complete pain in the back side. When we pump the tyres up, they have all gone down in PSI too but more so the passenger rear which drops down to around 18 PSI every couple of weeks. We've had mechanics look at it and we're all completely baffled. Does anybody know why this could be or have a solution for it? TIA

The light is comming on because the tyres have gone down, i would suggest that you get the rims check for corrosion or damage, the  tyre  place should be able to check for leaks.

11 minutes ago, pragmatix said:

The light is comming on because the tyres have gone down, i would suggest that you get the rims check for corrosion or damage, they thre place should be able tomcheck for leaks.

I'd echo what Pete has said.

I had a Mazda 2 for 4 years and towards the end all the tyres would drop 5 - 10 psi in the space of a month.  It was caused by corrosion inside the allows.  I had everything done short of full alloy refurbishment and nothing stopped it.  i used to just re-inflate the tyres every few weeks as I didn't want to spend circa £200 on it at the time.

To echo whats been said above - I had  the same problem on my last Fiesta, everything was checked over and over again. Finally realized the wheel was very slightly bucked meaning the tyre was letting air out...i ended up keeping a small pump in the boot (until someone very kindly drove into me writing the car off last year).

Have you taken the car to a tyre place where they can drop the wheel/ tyre in a tank of water to see where the leak is?

Most dealers will just spray water on the tyre to look for an obvious leak (nail in tyre, etc) and not bother checking it properly.

The tyre may not be sealed on the rim properly (need removing, cleaning of rim, new bead sealer applied), wheel may have a crack or as my problem on a 2014 ST the valve itself (metal valves fitted on early cars) was overtightened 6 times (yes 6) by the dealer which damaged the wheel causing it to blister and not seal properly

The light comes on when the tyre has lost around 5psi from when it was last set

Thanks for your replys. The car was in at a mechanic last week for some new brake pads. We asked him to check the tyres/wheels whilst it was their. He said he re-sealed them as they hadn't been sealed. That was last monday, exactly a week ago and the tyre pressure came on again this morning. We do have a tyre inflator but it's just a pain in the backside having to pump them all up every couple of week

I've had that problem before too. I went back to the tyre centre several times where I bought the new tyres and each time they would take the tyre off the wheel and clean and check everything then refit the tyre. They couldn't find the problem with the wheel in the bubble tank either. In the end they admitted defeat and changed the tyre for another new one (free of charge) which finally solved the problem. I was surprised because it was a Michelin tyre too so nothing cheap. They had told me if changing the tyre didn't solve it then I'd have to get a new wheel. As others have said...…..your tyre monitoring system is working as it should. It may be annoying but it's warning you of a problem.

On 4/15/2019 at 7:41 PM, Jamieking86 said:

Thanks for your replys. The car was in at a mechanic last week for some new brake pads. We asked him to check the tyres/wheels whilst it was their. He said he re-sealed them as they hadn't been sealed. That was last monday, exactly a week ago and the tyre pressure came on again this morning. We do have a tyre inflator but it's just a pain in the backside having to pump them all up every couple of week

I think the key is if it's happening on multiple tyres and to a similar extent on each.

In my siutation I had several 'good' tyre places check and re-seal / re-bead but nothing worked.  Even when new tyres were fitted I still had the drop in psi. It was only when the tyres were on the car and under load the slow pressure loss would occur so emersion tests showed nothing unfortunately.

I ended up doing the same as you, keeping a small electric pump in the boot and topping them up ever few weeks.