GarethW99

Upgrading from 1.25 Fiesta to 1.0 Ecoboost 100ps - what to expect?

Recommended Posts

Hi guys,

Basically what the title says. What can I expect in terms of the 'feel' of the car when driving in upgrading from a 1.25 82ps 2013 Fiesta to a 1.0 Ecoboost 100ps, also 2013. I've drove an ecoboost before but that was a 125ps one.

Thank you in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will notice lag

The gearing is ***** awful on these Fiesta Ecoboosts.

You have to change your driving habits to keep the car above 2,250 RPM otherwise it's lag central

The current Fiesta on the other hand is dramatically improved, if you can afford to stretch to a MK8 I'd go for it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it partly depends on your style of driving and where you drive. For example if going up a long hill on a motorway I think you will notice it can maintain speed much better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a 2018 1.0 ecoboost, it's a gutsy engine but yes, it needs to be over 2k rpm so ignore that daft change up indicator.

It can happily take 3 of us and luggage at 70mph and not feel like it's struggling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You soon get used to the half second hesitation before you get the power, it just becomes second nature to anticipate it or ease the throttle slightly as the boost builds. 

The torque will be the big difference, you're economy will be similar or marginally better. Oh and "psshhh", leave the window open and feel like a 17 year old when you change up a gear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GarethW99 said:

Hi guys,

Basically what the title says. What can I expect in terms of the 'feel' of the car when driving in upgrading from a 1.25 82ps 2013 Fiesta to a 1.0 Ecoboost 100ps, also 2013. I've drove an ecoboost before but that was a 125ps one.

Thank you in advance.

Not a lot of difference between 100ps and 125ps - both much better then 1.25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lag then sudden POWER if my brothers Focus is anything to go by!!!!  Personally, I prefer the 1.25 but each to their own.  Like any new car, I'm sure you will get used to it.  What I will say is the Ecoboost seems much better than the 3-cyl fabia I had recently as a courtesy car (and that much better again than the Nissan Micra 3-cyl) 

I'll be honest, I noticed a difference between my 2014 (very low mileage and dealer serviced) and 2017 1.25 (seems better at lower revs) - Ford DO seem to be constantly improving these things so what someone on a car a couple of years old experiences might not be the same on a new car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tarbyonline said:

Lag then sudden POWER if my brothers Focus is anything to go by!!!!  Personally, I prefer the 1.25 but each to their own.  Like any new car, I'm sure you will get used to it.  What I will say is the Ecoboost seems much better than the 3-cyl fabia I had recently as a courtesy car (and that much better again than the Nissan Micra 3-cyl) 

I'll be honest, I noticed a difference between my 2014 (very low mileage and dealer serviced) and 2017 1.25 (seems better at lower revs) - Ford DO seem to be constantly improving these things so what someone on a car a couple of years old experiences might not be the same on a new car.

They no longer do the 1.25 so 3cyl is all you can get from now on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

 

The current Fiesta on the other hand is dramatically improved, if you can afford to stretch to a MK8 I'd go for it 

👍 I have found the Mk 8 to have a much more progressive delivery compared to Mk 7.5s I have driven.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My girlfriend has an 2014 82ps 1.25 and I have a 2016 140hp EcoBoost. Hers is a five door Zetec and mine is a three door Zestc S (if that makes any difference). I know you’re looking at 100hp so not an accurate comparison but I notice that the torque difference is the most noticeable improvement. The comments about lag are true and you have to drive them differently. Her 1.25 feels more “nippy” around town but on open roads and hills the EcoBoost is far better. The 1.25 will happily sit at 90 but is just slower to get there. Both excellent cars but In my opinion the 140 is far better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2019 at 8:24 AM, Tiexen said:

They no longer do the 1.25 so 3cyl is all you can get from now on.

True, but that wasn’t the question 🙂.  

It does kind of live on in the Ka+ mind, so it’s been a conscious decision by Ford to shelve it in the range rather than continue to offer it in its current guise as an option on the Fiesta.

The point I was trying to make really was that an earlier ecoboost won’t necessarily feel the same as a more recent one due to the minor tweaks they make during the production run, as I experienced with my late 2014 and early 2017 Fiestas (both Zetec) - the latter seemed noticeably more eager from day one. The best way to compare really is to test drive.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have the latest ecoboost 100ps

It's gutsy and quite linear once above 2k rpm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, tarbyonline said:

True, but that wasn’t the question 🙂.  

It does kind of live on in the Ka+ mind, so it’s been a conscious decision by Ford to shelve it in the range rather than continue to offer it in its current guise as an option on the Fiesta.

The point I was trying to make really was that an earlier ecoboost won’t necessarily feel the same as a more recent one due to the minor tweaks they make during the production run, as I experienced with my late 2014 and early 2017 Fiestas (both Zetec) - the latter seemed noticeably more eager from day one. The best way to compare really is to test drive.    

Even the Ka+ is now 3cyl . Euro 6.2 forced that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for all your feedback everyone. Very much appreciated.

 

I took the new car in question for a test drive when I seen it at the dealership and it most definitely is nippy when pulling out that’s for sure!!! Can feel the turbo kicking in and also how easy it is to leave it in 2nd gear at 25mph! Very smooth ride. I do feel like I have ‘upgraded’.

 

I just have another question guys if you don’t mind, my friend (fellow fiesta 2013 zetec owner) has a 1.0 engine, but it’s only 80ps. Am I 100% correct in saying his engine is not an ecoboost version like mine would be?

 

Many thanks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes 1.0 Ecoboosts only come in 100, 125 and 140PS variants. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ThaiFiesta said:

Yes 1.0 Ecoboosts only come in 100, 125 and 140PS variants. 

Thank you for answering! I have told him this yet he seems to be adamant his 1.0 is an ecoboost, depsite me telling him that they are 100bhp+.

I even ran a BHP spec check on both our number plates and he has said that it's wrong and his must be 100 as well like mine 😧 Would not have it that his car is 80 lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GarethW99 said:

Thank you for answering! I have told him this yet he seems to be adamant his 1.0 is an ecoboost, depsite me telling him that they are 100bhp+.

I even ran a BHP spec check on both our number plates and he has said that it's wrong and his must be 100 as well like mine 😧 Would not have it that his car is 80 lol.

Ask him to point out the turbo next time you see him...  :wink: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Ask him to point out the turbo next time you see him...  :wink: 

Hahah, I will do! I ain't really that 'savvy' with the underneath of the bonnet so I won't lie I wouldnt actually be able to point out the turbo on the engine, would there be obvious visual differences with mine being 100ps and his 80ps? 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, GarethW99 said:

Hahah, I will do! I ain't really that 'savvy' with the underneath of the bonnet so I won't lie I wouldnt actually be able to point out the turbo on the engine, would there be obvious visual differences with mine being 100ps and his 80ps? 🙂

The main visual difference is a massive lump of metal stuck on the front of yours that isn't on his, that's the turbo... :biggrin:  

1.0 EcoBoost

330376-029_1_1024_680.jpg

1.0 NA 80ps

Ford Fiesta 1.0 Zetec first drive review

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The easiest way to find out what engine he has would be to check the drivers door pillar. The info sticker there should state which engine it is and what PS it is running.
Then of course there's the V5 (logbook) which will give the power output in KW. 80PS = 58.8KW and 100PS = 73.55KW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The main visual difference is a massive lump of metal stuck on the front of yours that isn't on his, that's the turbo... :biggrin:  

Thanks really much for them pictures. They will help... although i still feel my friend would be like "nah mine is defo 100ps" yeah if you say so! 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GarethW99 said:

Thanks really much for them pictures. They will help... although i still feel my friend would be like "nah mine is defo 100ps" yeah if you say so! 😄

I think we all know someone like that! :laugh:  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2019 at 1:54 PM, TomsFocus said:

I think we all know someone like that! :laugh:  

I picked up the car today and it is an absolute dream to drive. It is so smooth and that turbo when it gets to work is terrific.

 

I’ve checked under the bonnet and compared my engine with the above images you posted(thanks alot)which definitely confirms my engine is a 1.0 Ecoboost 100bhp. Next step is to convince my friend he does not have the ecoboost version which will take some doing, will probably say my one is the one without the turbo lmao

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before you settled down and enjoy your Fiesta you should checkout this link:

ecoboost-engine-rust-problem

as your car is about that age it needs checking, hopfully it has been sorted before you got it.

 

image.png.608b2bf6a4468013c2eff4f844768898.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tiexen said:

Before you settled down and enjoy your Fiesta you should checkout this link:

ecoboost-engine-rust-problem

as your car is about that age it needs checking, hopfully it has been sorted before you got it.

Hey thanks for your concerns!

Just went out to have a look, will attach pictures of the pipe in question.

 

11841620-4811-44AB-91B9-03862F491A42.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.