Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Upgrading from 1.25 Fiesta to 1.0 Ecoboost 100ps - what to expect?

GarethW99

They don't look too bad, I give mine a wipe down with WD40 every now and then.

1 hour ago, Tiexen said:

They don't look too bad, I give mine a wipe down with WD40 every now and then.

Thanks for pointing it out to me, much appreciated

@TomsFocus Hi again, sorry to bother you - just want to confirm I have picked out the turbo! My engine is identical to the top picture you posted, confirming I do indeed have the ecoboost

14E01350-589A-4D1D-84FE-6A8D16EEC683.jpeg

11 hours ago, GarethW99 said:

@TomsFocus Hi again, sorry to bother you - just want to confirm I have picked out the turbo! My engine is identical to the top picture you posted, confirming I do indeed have the ecoboost

14E01350-589A-4D1D-84FE-6A8D16EEC683.jpeg

Yep, that's it. :smile:  

On 5/5/2019 at 9:26 AM, TomsFocus said:

Yep, that's it. :smile:  

Thank you!

Haven't had a chance to test out the start/stop feature yet, been for a few runs but it hasn't seemed to work yet. Sure it will come on some time.

6 minutes ago, GarethW99 said:

Thank you!

Haven't had a chance to test out the start/stop feature yet, been for a few runs but it hasn't seemed to work yet. Sure it will come on some time.

If the car has been sitting at a dealers for a while you'll probably need to reset the BMS (battery monitoring system) to get the stop start working again.  Should be easy to find the method for that on here.  If you do a lot of short, cold runs it probably wont work for long though.

23 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

If the car has been sitting at a dealers for a while you'll probably need to reset the BMS (battery monitoring system) to get the stop start working again.  Should be easy to find the method for that on here.  If you do a lot of short, cold runs it probably wont work for long though.

Thanks for that! It doesnt really bother me if it does work or not, because I've never had it it's a feature I'd not really miss if you get me.

I found this on another forum, will just check if It's correct with you 🙂

"Mine was also fixed by resetting the battery monitoring to do this not sure if it's the same with the Fiesta but

Key turn to position 2 wait 10 seconds then next step (The one just before you turn the engine on)

press rear fog light button 5 times

Hazard light button 3 times (Your hazards will stay on but don't worry just turn them off after you finish everything)

Wait 10 seconds until your battery light flashes then turn off.

Turn car on and go for a quick drive and see if it works again."

4 minutes ago, GarethW99 said:

Thanks for that! It doesnt really bother me if it does work or not, because I've never had it it's a feature I'd not really miss if you get me.

I found this on another forum, will just check if It's correct with you 🙂

"Mine was also fixed by resetting the battery monitoring to do this not sure if it's the same with the Fiesta but

Key turn to position 2 wait 10 seconds then next step (The one just before you turn the engine on)

press rear fog light button 5 times

Hazard light button 3 times (Your hazards will stay on but don't worry just turn them off after you finish everything)

Wait 10 seconds until your battery light flashes then turn off.

Turn car on and go for a quick drive and see if it works again."

Yep, that's the one.  If you've got keyless start, just press the start button without pressing the clutch to switch the ignition on.

I'd recommend doing this after going for a decent run though, so the battery is charged to it's full capacity. :smile: 

22 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Yep, that's the one.  If you've got keyless start, just press the start button without pressing the clutch to switch the ignition on.

I'd recommend doing this after going for a decent run though, so the battery is charged to it's full capacity. :smile: 

Thanks for confirming that! Much appreciated.

Just to check, will it affect any other element of the car resetting the battery in this way?

7 minutes ago, GarethW99 said:

Thanks for confirming that! Much appreciated.

Just to check, will it affect any other element of the car resetting the battery in this way?

Nope, shouldn't affect anything else!

On 5/6/2019 at 1:32 PM, TomsFocus said:

Nope, shouldn't affect anything else!

Thank you, Tom. Compared mine and my friends engines as he came over one day, has actually pointed out that the metal ontop of my engine is not actually the turbo and proceeded to say that we both have the unturbo'd versions, so I give up now 😉

7 minutes ago, GarethW99 said:

Thank you, Tom. Compared mine and my friends engines as he came over one day, has actually pointed out that the metal ontop of my engine is not actually the turbo and proceeded to say that we both have the unturbo'd versions, so I give up now 😉

Ok, rev the engine slightly with the bonnet open and listen for the slight whistle you get from the turbo. It's not very loud but you can hear it. You definitely have the turbo version as seen in the pics. 
Also, get him to go out with you on a drive, find a nice 60 or 70 limit road and give it the beans. You can feel the turbo kick in. 
Then do the same run in his car and you'll soon see and feel the difference. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Nick Y said:

Ok, rev the engine slightly with the bonnet open and listen for the slight whistle you get from the turbo. It's not very loud but you can hear it. You definitely have the turbo version as seen in the pics. 
Also, get him to go out with you on a drive, find a nice 60 or 70 limit road and give it the beans. You can feel the turbo kick in. 
Then do the same run in his car and you'll soon see and feel the difference. 

Haha I tried that already he is just so adamant he's correct. I've given up! 😄 Hasn't affected our friendship I just find it funny how he thinks he knows alot about cars, clearly not 😉

He pointed out that because I don't have the big black cover that says 'ecoboost' mine can't be the one, I've attached an image to explain what he meant. I just said to him it's because mine was the earlier version! 😄 

IMG_9652.jpg

Most of the EB engines do not have the cover on them. Mine is a late model mk7.5 and has no cover on the engine. A few people buy an aftermarket one but afaik, Ford do not fit or supply them. 

2 minutes ago, Nick Y said:

Most of the EB engines do not have the cover on them. Mine is a late model mk7.5 and has no cover on the engine. A few people buy an aftermarket one but afaik, Ford do not fit or supply them. 

Thanks for confirming! Going away from what my friend thinks, I ain't really savvy with the underneath of the bonnet, I am quite amazed how a rectangular bit of metal on top of the engine is the turboboosted part. I think it's great, I hear it's something to do with how much air it lets in, might be wrong but that's what I heard in the dealership 🙂

On 5/6/2019 at 1:01 PM, TomsFocus said:

Hi Tom, do you know what the procedure might be on the MK8 fiesta? Tried the hazard/fog light buttons method but with no success

We have a 2019 1.0 ecoboost.  It has no engine cover.

5 hours ago, GarethW99 said:

I ain't really savvy with the underneath of the bonnet, I am quite amazed how a rectangular bit of metal on top of the engine is the turboboosted part. 

The “rectangular bit of metal” is the heat shield over the turbine and exhaust. The turbo is noted in the photo and how it works in the diagram.

The 1.0 Fiesta doesn’t come with the engine cover as standard. Many people add a Focus 1.0 engine cover for neatness. 

4746BA89-07E8-4B0B-8D7D-37358A68F27D.jpeg

C9F133C1-DFEF-41F3-8D51-24395A492AB2.jpeg

14 hours ago, GarethW99 said:

Haha I tried that already he is just so adamant he's correct. I've given up! 😄 Hasn't affected our friendship I just find it funny how he thinks he knows alot about cars, clearly not 😉

He pointed out that because I don't have the big black cover that says 'ecoboost' mine can't be the one, I've attached an image to explain what he meant. I just said to him it's because mine was the earlier version! 😄 

Sounds like the blind leading the blind here... :laugh: 

Turbos work very simply.  It's just two fans connected by a rod.  The exhaust gasses push against one fan and spin it, which in turn spins the other fan located in the air intake...this second fan compresses the intake air so you can fit more into each cylinder.  More air means you can add more fuel and get a bigger bang.  It's the same effect as increasing the engine size, but without the extra weight.  This why you can get the power of a standard 1.6 petrol, with a turbocharged 1.0.

12 hours ago, DG97 said:

Hi Tom, do you know what the procedure might be on the MK8 fiesta? Tried the hazard/fog light buttons method but with no success

I don't know I'm afraid, I have read that it's Forscan only on the Mk8.  Id be surprised if that's the case though, places like Halfords and Kwikfit need to be able to reset the BMS when they change batteries.  @iantt may know?

@TomsFocus Hi Tom, did the battery monitoring reset as you said and the start/stop function has now started to work so thanks alot for the advice. It’s working fine now! although when I did click the button to turn it off before I got out the car i tried it again and it didnt work but I guess that was fine, it was working after the reset. I’m guessing another reset wont be needed for a while?

13 minutes ago, GarethW99 said:

@TomsFocus Hi Tom, did the battery monitoring reset as you said and the start/stop function has now started to work so thanks alot for the advice. It’s working fine now! although when I did click the button to turn it off before I got out the car i tried it again and it didnt work but I guess that was fine, it was working after the reset. I’m guessing another reset wont be needed for a while?

It doesn't work every time you stop, depends on battery charge and electrical load etc.  You won't need to reset it again unless the battery drops very low (lots of short cold runs) or the battery is replaced.   I leave mine switched on permanently, just let it work as and when it wants.  :smile: 

On 5/8/2019 at 11:42 AM, TomsFocus said:

It doesn't work every time you stop, depends on battery charge and electrical load etc.  You won't need to reset it again unless the battery drops very low (lots of short cold runs) or the battery is replaced.   I leave mine switched on permanently, just let it work as and when it wants.  :smile: 

Hi again Tom. just another quick update to let you know the start/stop feature is working like a dream now. Been out in it lots and It's going on and off when it's meant to so thanks alot for all the help you gave me.

I just want to ask something else, I'm gonna give it a clean soon, will I have to be careful using the jet wash and sponge near the parking sensors? Many thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GarethW99 said:

I just want to ask something else, I'm gonna give it a clean soon, will I have to be careful using the jet wash and sponge near the parking sensors? Many thanks

No, you don't need to worry about the sensors at all, they're pretty robust, if anything they work better after being cleaned!  :smile:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club