Ford Cortina/Capri

ForScan on the Mk4 Focus

Recommended Posts

Has anyone tried using this on the Mk4 Focus, anyone managed to make any changes ?  Just bought an adaptor so hope to have a play with it next weekend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can confirm auto locking works and Ford Performance screen in the IPC

Unable to access APIM (as per most MK4 owners) to change any settings

Was trying to get auto high beam to work but i think you need to change the windscreen module (behind the rear view mirror)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a tunnelrat switched adapter and Ive done code reading, but I'm a bit nervous of programming, bricking it and invalidating the warranty.

Is bricking a risk?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Guy Heaton said:

I've got a tunnelrat switched adapter and Ive done code reading, but I'm a bit nervous of programming, bricking it and invalidating the warranty.

Is bricking a risk?

I've not done any programming with FORScan, but I believe you need to make sure your battery Voltage does not go too low, otherwise things can go wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can brick it when re-programming the calibration (firmware), but I don't think modifying as-built data has much risk, the important thing is just to back up your original config in case something is incompatible or a mistake is made and you need to restore it.

You'll often trigger a number of DTCs, but these can also be cleared with Forscan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Was trying to get auto high beam to work but i think you need to change the windscreen module (behind the rear view mirror)

I've looked at doing that. Since the Titanium has a camera that does traffic sign recognition I thought that it may work.

What settings did you try changing ?

My thoughts were that you needed to change the

0C4A to 0C4E and the 2037 to 2237 in as built 720-01-01 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, alexp999 said:

You can brick it when re-programming the calibration (firmware), but I don't think modifying as-built data has much risk, the important thing is just to back up your original config in case something is incompatible or a mistake is made and you need to restore it.

You'll often trigger a number of DTCs, but these can also be cleared with Forscan


Changing the configuration can also brick a module very easily. Most problems however are caused by low battery voltage during diagnostics or lost communication connections caused by bad quality diagnostic interfaces.

In most cases a bricked module can be recovered but this usually requires quite some skills/knowledge and the correct diagnostic tools to recover a non responding (bricked) module.


The Forscan program is by far the best, most advanced freely available Ford specific diagnostic system. It is however not perfect. The support for the relative new Focus MK4 is pretty limited. It usually takes a few Years before a new model is fully supported and all known bugs are solved.


You also have to be aware that Ford is currently transitioning to the online FRDS diagnostic system. On new Ford models programming and configuring of modules requires a (paid and verified) subscription. On the Focus MK4 for example Forscan did show and support some modules (like for example the APIM) on earlier build vehicles while on currently build vehicles these modules are no longer shown and supported. It will just be a matter of time before the offline programming (including the Ford IDS diagnostic system) will be discontinued completely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I know you can change the splash screen to show ST, RS etc... and I've seen the climate control added to the screen. Does anyone have a list of the changes needed to do these ? Or add just the ones you know maybe... ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
So, I know you can change the splash screen to show ST, RS etc... and I've seen the climate control added to the screen. Does anyone have a list of the changes needed to do these ? Or add just the ones you know maybe... ?
If you check the F150 forum there is a very detailed list of all codes and modifications that will work (build spec dependent).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uDSQ1Z5a2Wt8-kjrSiVSlDFGFHnfeuhb3RTMVz95730/htmlview#gid=338817466

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2019 at 1:59 PM, Stoney871 said:

If you check the F150 forum there is a very detailed list of all codes and modifications that will work (build spec dependent).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uDSQ1Z5a2Wt8-kjrSiVSlDFGFHnfeuhb3RTMVz95730/htmlview#gid=338817466

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
 

Had a look at that. I'm trying to program my BCM for LED rear lights and thought the F150 spreadsheet had the answer. But, the F150 has a lot more memory blocks than my Focus so an answers there :-(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2019 at 3:19 PM, ianincheshire said:

I've looked at doing that. Since the Titanium has a camera that does traffic sign recognition I thought that it may work.

What settings did you try changing ?

My thoughts were that you needed to change the

0C4A to 0C4E and the 2037 to 2237 in as built 720-01-01 

Doesn't work I'm afraid, tried it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.