Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keyless entry stopped on all doors except driver’s door

Mrs_h

Our Focus Vignale went to the dealers earlier this year for a recall and since then the keyless entry has stopped working on all doors apart from the driver’s door.  Both keys work near to the driver’s door but not any of the other 3 doors.  Any ideas as Food want to keep the car for 1 day minimum to investigate?

Presumably you haven't got it set for only the drivers door to operate in the steering wheel settings?

• Like 1

Presumably you haven't got it set for only the drivers door to operate in the steering wheel settings?
+1
In the dash menu you should see an option for changing central locking settings.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Does stop/ start work ?

Typically, if the battery is not fully charged, then the keyless entry only works on the drivers door. Stop/ start not working is another symptom. With the often lack of long journeys in the current situation the battery may not get fully charged. I've seen similar situations with the keyless entry in the 18 months I've had my car. After a good long run it sorts itself out.

• Like 1

Yes your battery is below a charge level and the software turns off systems usually first to be turned off is start stop then the heated screens front and rear then keyless entry apart from the drivers door.

There is a battery drain update but I am not sure if it cures this problem

Thanks guys. Low battery could be the cause. Will try a longer drive and see if it changes

Definitely battery management is doing this. I have exactly the same symptoms- no stop/start, sometimes the other doors do not work on key-less (sometimes they do), heated screens stop working. Its like its turning systems off in order of priority. I do short journeys  as well. In a way, I'm glad to hear its not just me!  New battery I reckon.

New battery I reckon

I dont think that will help. It's just the battery monitoring system deciding not to charge the battery rapidly. My car has the symptoms from time to time if it hasn't had a good drive. battery is fine and no drain when  I left it for 6 weeks back in Feb/Mar while I was in warmer climes. Started on the button first time!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, an update on the battery management system...  Ford had my car in for a recall (electronic brake booster), so while it was in the garage I had an early service and also asked them to look at the erratic problems with the keyless entry, stop/start and window heaters. The guy on the desk straight away said that he knew what the problem was, the system is dropping out 'non-essential' systems to keep the battery focused on starting the car. He asked if it was low mileage, which it is- 12k in 18 months, and said I am doing too many short journeys and this affects the charge state of the battery. This would be true of course. Nothing can be done, but suggested regular trickle charges or long runs will do the trick. Not very good really is it?

• Like 1

Get a solar trickle charger and plug it in. Got to be worth a try.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, steved99 said:

Hi, an update on the battery management system...  Ford had my car in for a recall (electronic brake booster), so while it was in the garage I had an early service and also asked them to look at the erratic problems with the keyless entry, stop/start and window heaters. The guy on the desk straight away said that he knew what the problem was, the system is dropping out 'non-essential' systems to keep the battery focused on starting the car. He asked if it was low mileage, which it is- 12k in 18 months, and said I am doing too many short journeys and this affects the charge state of the battery. This would be true of course. Nothing can be done, but suggested regular trickle charges or long runs will do the trick. Not very good really is it?

Were in the same boat tbh. Don't use the car as often as we did prior to lockdown but have to take the car out every 3/4 days to keep it charged.

No idea how we/everyone  would go on if they went on holidays and left there car for 2/3weeks at a time. Ours went flat after 2 weeks at the start of lockdown. Its parked on the street overnight so dont have the option of trickle charging.

Why don't they fit better batteries?  I mean for crying out loud I haven't had to keep a car on trickle charge for 30 years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Guy Heaton said:

Why don't they fit better batteries?  I mean for crying out loud I haven't had to keep a car on trickle charge for 30 years.

I dunno but was speaking to the Brother in law about it (He runs his own garage. MOT and service ) and has had to set on an extra recovery driver / mechanic to deal with a lot not just Fords but all makes of these so called Smart cars as theyre all having the same problems if there stood for more than a week. Sometimes less.

As with pretty much everything else on cars nowadays, it comes down to the latest emissions regs. 

Charging a battery wastes fuel which creates CO2.  So we have variable charging on 'modern' cars which only allows the bare minimum of charge to be maintained...a few short journeys followed by a few days inactivity is likely to result in a non-start.

• Like 2

No idea how we/everyone  would go on if they went on holidays and left there car for 2/3weeks at a time. Ours went flat after 2 weeks at the start of lockdown.

I've left mine twice now for 6 weeks when I was on my 'winter break' in warmer climes. Both times it started first time on the button, no problems. I did ensure that I turned off the wifi hotspot and all connectivity options though. I've been leaving all my previous cars for this length of time and only ever had a problem with one that I'm sure had a failing battery after 3 years.

In my opinion, if a car can't survive for two weeks, then it has duff battery or a system fault causing battery drain!

• 1 year later...
On 6/25/2020 at 1:45 PM, rayferry said:

I have 2020 Kuga and I am living this problem. I don't know what am I suppose to do 

• 5 months later...
On 6/26/2020 at 7:35 PM, Mrs_h said:

Thanks guys. Low battery could be the cause. Will try a longer drive and see if it changes

Hi, Have you solved the issue?

Hello Cristian, I think that I've probably answered this a couple of dozen times in just the last 12 months.

The problem is caused by a low "State OF Charge" of your battery. Once the SOC falls below 70% the car will start to disable equipment in order to save battery power.

Get yourself a good 'Smart' battery charger and put the battery on charge for at least 12 hours. It is very important that you connect the positive of the charger direct to the battery terminal, then connect the negative of the charger to a good earth point on the vehicle chassis DO NOT connect the battery negative lead to the battery terminal.

After the battery has been fully charged take the car for a short drive and when you get back the locking on all 4 doors will have been reactivated.

Well I finally got a fully working keyless entry and stop/start. I sold the Focus and got a Skoda Karoq 1.5 DSG🤨

Had it for a couple of months and despite doing exactly the same low mileage the systems work flawlessly!. On the Focus the stop/start only worked twice in the last year, both times for about a day after doing a 200ml+ journey. I'd also disabled the keyless entry since it was so unreliable.

Why cant Ford just admit they have got the SOC target wrong and fix it ? rather than tell people its their driving profile.

NB I didnt just get the Karoq for the s/s and keyless, I needed something that was easier to get in/out of and an auto. After all the problems with Ford and the Focus I just didnt bother to look at the Kuga...

I did miss the heated windscreen the other day though, but these days I dont HAVE to go out early in the morning, so mostly can just wait until it defrosts naturally😁

Hi Ian, I've got your updated profile ready for you 🤣

may your Stop/Starts be many !!

profile X.jpg

profile.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ianincheshire said:

Why cant Ford just admit they have got the SOC target wrong and fix it ?

who said that ???? 🤣

It's people are not using the car the way Ford think they should. It's the customers fault !!! 🤣

Year 2022

Actually its only a 2021😁 Pre-reg Oct del mileage. Didnt want to wait 6 months for a new one, although I could have spec'd a heated screen then. £2k off current list and the Focus only cost me £4k in depreciation over nearly 3 yrs🙂

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club