Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dash Cam Recommendations?

richardc1983

Hey everyone, what dashcams are you all using?

Streetguardian SG9663DC

The Street guardian stuff is a bit more, but they use better components (such as Sony sensors) and have great support.

They share enclosures with Viofo if you wanted something a bit cheaper.

It does depend what sort of cam you want. I wanted something discrete and almost OEM looking, but it's not designed to be easily swapped from car to car.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Streetguardian SG9663DC

The Street guardian stuff is a bit more, but they use better components (such as Sony sensors) and have great support.

They share enclosures with Viofo if you wanted something a bit cheaper.

It does depend what sort of cam you want. I wanted something discrete and almost OEM looking, but it's not designed to be easily swapped from car to car.

I want something that will be wired in to a permanent live that knows when the ignition goes off and has time to shut down. I want a capacitor based one rather than battery as had a few batteries expand in the heat of a locked car.

• Like 1

The streetguardian's are capacitor ones. I have it wired in to a switched live with ignition. The cap holds enough power to cleanly finish the video file and turn off when it loses power.

Most are like that even cheaper ones, afaik.

4 minutes ago, colinmcg71 said:

Considering this Ford Sync 3 compatible one myself 🙂

That looks good but may be a little out of my price bracket.

I have seen these which have good reviews.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nextbase-412GW-Car-Camera-Viewing-Black/dp/B01N3SP41O/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 

23 minutes ago, richardc1983 said:

That looks good but may be a little out of my price bracket.

I have seen these which have good reviews.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nextbase-412GW-Car-Camera-Viewing-Black/dp/B01N3SP41O/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 

Yeah, the Ford one does seem a little expensive for what it is. My dad had the Nextbase 312 and he thought it worked well. 

3 minutes ago, colinmcg71 said:

Yeah, the Ford one does seem a little expensive for what it is. My dad had the Nextbase 312 and he thought it worked well. 

There's a series 2 of them out now which looks sleeker and has a touch screen...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nextbase-Camera-Bundle-Hardwire-included/dp/B07X7X3ZN7/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1F4C7SHJKNNT7&dchild=1&keywords=nextbase%2Bhardwire%2Bkit&qid=1594638126&sprefix=next%2Bbase%2Bhard%2Bwire%2B%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-7&th=1

I use a Nextbase 512 with quick release mount, got it at a discount as a shop was clearing out stock for the newer models. Went with the 512 because is, or was, one of the few with a polarised lens reducing the glare you get from wet roads and windscreens. Nextbase also has one of the best mounting systems where you can easily detach the camera from the mount to stop it getting stolen. 

10 minutes ago, Ennvoqation said:

I use a Nextbase 512 with quick release mount, got it at a discount as a shop was clearing out stock for the newer models. Went with the 512 because is, or was, one of the few with a polarised lens reducing the glare you get from wet roads and windscreens. Nextbase also has one of the best mounting systems where you can easily detach the camera from the mount to stop it getting stolen. 

Theres a series 2 version of it out now not sure which one to go for series 1 or 2. There is £30 difference. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nextbase-Camera-Bundle-Hardwire-included/dp/B07XDKKLKC/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=nextbase+522&qid=1594639240&sr=8-4

3 minutes ago, richardc1983 said:

Theres a series 2 version of it out now not sure which one to go for series 1 or 2. There is £30 difference. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nextbase-Camera-Bundle-Hardwire-included/dp/B07XDKKLKC/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=nextbase+522&qid=1594639240&sr=8-4

Halfords has the 522 for £119 and hard wiring kit for £20. Seems like a good deal.

4 minutes ago, richardc1983 said:

They're all good, it really comes down to what features/mounting systems you prefer. It's worth getting the hardwire kit, makes life a lot easier.

2 minutes ago, colinmcg71 said:

Halfords has the 522 for £119 and hard wiring kit for £20. Seems like a good deal.

Does anyone know if it is capacitor based or battery based? The reviews talk about a battery but I would rather have a capacitor.

5 minutes ago, colinmcg71 said:

Similar deal from amazon if you buy the kit separately it works out about 10p cheaper lol

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, richardc1983 said:

Does anyone know if it is capacitor based or battery based? The reviews talk about a battery but I would rather have a capacitor.

They're battery based, though replacing the battery isn't supposed to be user serviceable it can be done with a bit of patience.  

Nextbase are battery based the last time I read anything about them.

I use a Mini 0906, which has a rear camera too and parking mode mode (though not sure about that as I've got battery issues now, but did record in time lapse mode for hours previously) Have a look here...http://www.combi.org.uk/products/165/Mini-0906-MK2-Dual-Lens-2x-1080P-Full-HD-Dash-Cam-GPS 

I've had this for over 2 and a 1/2 years now and no issues like the previous battery models (0801 and 0805). It's small and discreet, and I just leave it in the windscreen. There are better ones out there but I don't have any plans to replace mine yet.

Have a look here too there's a forum on there as well....this might well throw in a load of spanners to your decision making though. Happy reading.

• Like 2

Has anyone done a 'how to' guide on fitting? I'd like a hard wired dashcam and might look at paying to have it fitted as trim is the worst thing to mess with. (I'm looking for the vRS Octavia not the Fizzer.)

40 minutes ago, fiestaecoboostman said:

Has anyone done a 'how to' guide on fitting? I'd like a hard wired dashcam and might look at paying to have it fitted as trim is the worst thing to mess with. (I'm looking for the vRS Octavia not the Fizzer.)

There's a few videos on YouTube to give a general idea of what to do, but it's simple enough task depending on the car. Took me all of ten-fifteen minutes to complete the job. I searched for what fuse people was using for my car on Bing, and then confirmed that with a multi-meter. Once that was done the hardest bit was to actually run the cabling along the headliner/A Pillar.

I have a Nextbase 522GW. Currently working via cig lighter however I'm thinking of Hard Wiring it. My concern is whether or not this will be an issue as my vehicle is only a few months old and so still in Warranty. Thoughts?

My only concern is the side curtain air bags are in the A pillar behind the trim, the last thing you want to do is impede a saety feature.

Nextbase 312GW for me. Recommended by Which? and excellent. Easy to fit.

Bought a second one for Mrs. ScanaPBman's car and I am pleased. Previously there had been several body incidents  "after parking in the supermarket". Since fitting it myself there has been no trouble at all. Draw your own conclusions!

I purchased a third one to use every day on the coach I drive. It was a factory re-conditioned 312GW and has done stirling service with me. It  has to come off at night and back on the next morning, the extra handling has not affected it at all.

The Nextbase software downloaded to my Windows 10 straight off, is good and intuitive to use, even for a computer dumbo like me.

They have excellent customer service too.

ScaniaPBman.

PS. I have no connection with Nextbase except as a satisfied user.

• Like 2

I use a Next base 322GW with rear cam plugged into the side and a next base hardwiring kit. For £99 Halfords do the camera with a polarising lens filter and 32gb sd card, the rear camera attachment is £49 and the hardwire kit £20. It is a piece of cake to fit.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mollymoodoo said:

I use a Next base 322GW with rear cam plugged into the side and a next base hardwiring kit. For £99 Halfords do the camera with a polarising lens filter and 32gb sd card, the rear camera attachment is £49 and the hardwire kit £20. It is a piece of cake to fit.

That seems a really good deal. I was looking at the 522gw but only difference is a larger resolution and screen. The 322gw on amazon with the kit is £125 and doesn't come with the polarising lens. Is it worth Halfords wiring it in or do we not trust them. 

11 minutes ago, richardc1983 said:

Is it worth halfords wiring it in or do we not trust them. 

Nothing to do with trust in Halfords, it's all down to the guy that would be fitting it to your car. As with many garages, there are good'uns, and not so good'uns. See if there are recommendations you can get locally. Maybe social media, (if you're into that kind of thing!), can help...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club