Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Glow plug rely

james shepherd

Hi all,need some advise my S-max is having starting issus only on first start up in the morning,i am having to turn ingnition key 4/5 times to get the glow plugs to heat up enough to start the engine,and yes glowplugs have been changed about 3 months ago,so looking into it,i have come up with the thought it must be the glowplug control model,but looking on google i can only find info on a glowplug relay,looking more into it i cannot find out whitch rely in the fuse box is the right relay to change,looking at images on google for my year smax which is the 2006 tdci 1,8 it has the same fuse box as the mondeo,but as winter is getting closer and the starting issue i need to get it sorted,as i say once the car has run,it will start every time all day,it is litterly the first start up of the day after sitting all night,i have serched in google for the relay and on eBay,just struggling to find anything that helps,cheers in advance any info would be much appreciated1636518645_Screenshot_2020-08-26Mk4_EJB_00jpg(JPEGImage426656pixels)-Scaled(92).thumb.png.14aaedfbcfefa50433c19d7ff6546f70.png

It's nowhere near cold enough to need glowplugs on a CR engine at the moment.

Are you turning the engine over 4/5 times or just switching the ignition on 4/5 times?  It sounds more like fuel draining back overnight.

• Thanks 1

Cherrs for reply,no not actully turning the car over litterly just turning the key to heat plugs,i have an error code stating issue with glow plugs circuit a malfunction,when researched says faulty glow plugs,open fuse,faulty glow plug relay or faulty glowplug module,the glowplugs were replaced with new ones 3 months ago,and it litterly will start every time after first start up,if i try to start the car on first turn of the key after letting glowplug light go out it wont start but if i like i say turn the key 4/5 times to heat the plugs it will start,

Hmm, very odd.  I've previously driven a 1.6 TDCi without the plugs even wired in in September.  Didn't make any difference to starting.  Of course, it's a completely different engine so I shouldn't assume!  :smile:

Are the relays image coded on the fusebox lid on the SMax?  Worth a look if you haven't already checked.

I think it's R4 if it's the same as the Mondeo.  Though that may be as useful as my above assumption! :whistling:

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Hello , we have the same problem with our 2.0 tdci S MAX 2006 , was ok up to the start of cold weather , now will not start at first turn of the key , would like to put in a new glow plug relay but cannot find it , do you know where the relay is located

On 8/26/2020 at 11:26 AM, james shepherd said:

Hi all,need some advise my S-max is having starting issus only on first start up in the morning,i am having to turn ingnition key 4/5 times to get the glow plugs to heat up enough to start the engine,and yes glowplugs have been changed about 3 months ago,so looking into it,i have come up with the thought it must be the glowplug control model,but looking on google i can only find info on a glowplug relay,looking more into it i cannot find out whitch rely in the fuse box is the right relay to change,looking at images on google for my year smax which is the 2006 tdci 1,8 it has the same fuse box as the mondeo,but as winter is getting closer and the starting issue i need to get it sorted,as i say once the car has run,it will start every time all day,it is litterly the first start up of the day after sitting all night,i have serched in google for the relay and on ebay,just struggling to find anything that helps,cheers in advance any info would be much appreciated1636518645_Screenshot_2020-08-26Mk4_EJB_00jpg(JPEGImage426656pixels)-Scaled(92).thumb.png.14aaedfbcfefa50433c19d7ff6546f70.png

I'm new on this website however i am having same issue on my S MAX 2011 2.0tdci Start/Stop button ignition. Once started works all day, does yours start eventually but the idle is rough and possibly raw fuel smell from exhaust. If so is either fuel injector copper seal leak and this results in more air in mixture so car adjusting to fire up and combustion difficult as its possibly too rich, also you may have a fuel injector which permanently open so too much fuel in combustion chamber.  I checked every possibility, see if you can check whether you have a vacuum leak, as this also affects start up. my motor going into halford to have vacuum leak checked so i asked them to check injectors too. In all honesty Forscan indicates no problems with injectors however its running rich so vacuum leak is most likely cause. check all gaskets and check for oil leaks. if you see any oil leak be careful there no hairline cracks to. Lots on  Youtube to check vacum leaks.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club