Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

lockdown

lasthope

does any one no if the local garages are on lockdown all so this week

service departments where open last time sales weren't my local independent was open.

• Like 2

its mot iam wanting my one runs out end of the month,

MOT garages will stay open but showrooms will be closed.

I've seen a lot of places are booked up well on advance now so worth booking early.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I've seen a lot of places are booked up well on advance now so worth booking early.

Papers today full of pictures of folk buying armfuls of loo rolls again (why??!!!). Don't tell me they're also panic buying MoTs now!😃

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Papers today full of pictures of folk buying armfuls of loo rolls again (why??!!!). Don't tell me they're also panic buying MoTs now!😃

I think the reason why lots of places are booked up is because of people using the MOT extension. A lot of those which were extended by 6 months are now running out or have run out, hence the increase in bookings. 
My local garage has been fully booked for months because of the extension and that they had to close for a while during the first lockdown. 

• Like 1

Lmao it's hardly a lockdown when the only places that are affected is hospitality and some retail stores. Most pubs are already shut and the ones that aren't are barely making a profit (if at all). Closing pubs just means people will meet up in homes instead. You're much more likely to catch it in someone's home than sat at a pub with them.
Most shops will be doing click & collect instead of closing completely. Whilst it's a small compromise, I'm sure C&C is adequate for most situations as you generally don't need to see things in person.

It's alright saying close retail and hospitality, but I've yet to see any evidence that those are a significant contributing factor in the growth of the R-rate...

People are getting sick of these restrictions now, and the longer it goes on, the more people will start to ignore them as they are just making no sense whatsoever now.

12 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

Lmao it's hardly a lockdown when the only places that are affected is hospitality and some retail stores.y

Lol, it's just enough to cancel the couple of short breaks we had arranged this month, after all our major plans for this year had to be cancelled (we had a "big" anniversary this year). So spent 6 months battling to get money back for those (and only recently succeeded), now got 2 more to deal with!😠

May be just a coincidence, but cases seemed to shoot up when unis/colleges reopened, but they're staying open.

I have seen figures suggesting that the "Eat out to help out" scheme may have increased the rate by up to 17%, so perhaps not a great success if true.

12 hours ago, Nick Y said:

I think the reason why lots of places are booked up is because of people using the MOT extension. A lot of those which were extended by 6 months are now running out or have run out, hence the increase in bookings. 
My local garage has been fully booked for months because of the extension and that they had to close for a while during the first lockdown. 

Yes, that's probably the answer, although I got my wife's car done at the end of September, when the first wave of deferrals from March would be ending, with no problem.

Another problem with MOTs if you have to wait for your car then only a limited number can sit in waiting room.

12 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

Lmao it's hardly a lockdown when the only places that are affected is hospitality and some retail stores. Most pubs are already shut and the ones that aren't are barely making a profit (if at all). Closing pubs just means people will meet up in homes instead. You're much more likely to catch it in someone's home than sat at a pub with them.
Most shops will be doing click & collect instead of closing completely. Whilst it's a small compromise, I'm sure C&C is adequate for most situations as you generally don't need to see things in person.

It's alright saying close retail and hospitality, but I've yet to see any evidence that those are a significant contributing factor in the growth of the R-rate...

People are getting sick of these restrictions now, and the longer it goes on, the more people will start to ignore them as they are just making no sense whatsoever now.

God man don't you watch TV or read newspapers. Of course pubs etc ( especially at weekends  ) cause the R rate to increase if everyone did what they are told we wouldn't be in this MESS ..........Baaaaaa

1 hour ago, Hostahousey said:

if everyone did what they are told we wouldn't be in this MESS

Indeed. We've never been particular worried throughout the epidemic (despite being allegedly "vulnerable" by reason of age, health conditions etc) as we keep the recommended distance from other people, hard though it is when you want to give your family and friends a hug. If everyone had done the same it's hard to see that we would have a problem now.

It's not as simple as everyone doing as they're told...  If you work in a factory with other people all day, then car share with 5 people back to your HMO of 12 people, some of which are kids at the local school and your wife is a supermarket worker...the virus will inevitably spread even if you're not going to the pub.  They're not paid enough to take 2 weeks off if they feel a bit dodgy, and as most are younger people, may not even have symptoms so won't need to take a test.  Just one example, but there are plenty of others.  Same reason flu circles the world every year.  

This virus isn't going anywhere and another lockdown won't stop it.  There's even proof now that in around a third of people the antibodies don't last long after you've had the virus, yet they're still pushing a vaccine as the only way out. 

I'm usually a very rigid rule follower but this is getting ridiculous now.  Lockdowns aren't the way forward, they're just wrecking the economy, causing alternative health issue and delaying the inevitable imo.  I won't be doing anything differently now to the last couple of months after my health declined rapidly over the first lockdown.  Things I was just about managing in March I was suddenly stopped from doing for months and haven't been able to do again even since restrictions were lifted.

Back on topic, my MOT is due mid Dec (we will still be in lockdown by then...the notion of it ending Dec 2nd is laughable!) and I'm honestly not sure how to go about it this year.  Pre first lockdown I was still able to walk the ~1.5 miles home and would leave the car there all day.  Now I can barely manage half that even on a good day.  I can't wait the hour even if they are allowing people in (it's a small indy with a tiny waiting room).  So far the best solution I can come up with is to ask someone I've never actually met but follow on Instagram if they'd do me a favour and drop the car in on their way to work.  They work near the MOT centre so it's only 10 minutes out of their day as they can leave their car in my carpark.  But they might not feel comfortable doing it and I hate being a nuisance and burdening other people.  I'm fairly sure there's something wrong with the car as well, something knocking on the NSF over some bumps, potentially a snapped spring but I can't even lift the trolley jack any more let alone try and jack up one corner.  It's so frustrating having the knowledge & experience to fix pretty much anything on a car yet no longer having the ability to do it.  Just totally fed up with both the coronavirus and my body now.  I don't personally see either improving any time soon...

/rant :whistling: 

• Like 1

If the garage is that close, maybe worth giving them a call and see if they can do a pick up and return. 

What annoys me is that just before the new lockdown was announced I booked an appointment at the opticians for Friday. Still, at least if I get stopped by the police I can say I'm going to get my eyes tested... 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, erictcleric said:

What annoys me is that just before the new lockdown was announced I booked an appointment at the opticians for Friday. Still, at least if I get stopped by the police I can say I'm going to get my eyes tested... 

I assume you know the way to Barnard Castle..........?😃

• Haha 2

Garages will be open as normal, nothing is changing for them unless they sell cars then the showroom side has to shut. Not the end of the world if you want to buy a car. Just wait a few weeks. 

Where I work it's business as usual  and extremely busy right up to Xmas I'm told. 

In Northern Ireland, all the MOT centers are government run, so come 'lockdown, they all close. However, the local government just puts a blanket extension on the expiry date. Mine was due in July, but was extended automatically to January 2021.

EDIT: I just checked online, and it's now extended to July 2021! Happy days...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

In Northern Ireland, all the MOT centers are government run, so come 'lockdown, they all close. However, the local government just puts a blanket extension on the expiry date. Mine was due in July, but was extended automatically to January 2021.

EDIT: I just checked online, and it's now extended to July 2021! Happy days...

In southern Ireland which nobody on here probably even cares about and I'll get my coat as soon as I'm finished writing this post 😂

s42ggnIKIqg8.thumb.gif.cffea45819b40bcbd9853b5962f2b13a.gif

Eh were in full lockdown for the past three weeks; I can't even take the dog in the car to the forest on a Sunday for a walk; I'm still working as I'm manufacturing active pharmaceutical ingredients some being used in vaccines,

And the MOT is a private run business here operated by a Spanish company which adheres to Spanish regulations not Irish law and classed as essential; the Spanish law differs when it comes to front tinted windows; Irish law says up to 20% where the NCT will fail you on anything over the 10% factory, also fail if your indicator isint amber enough.

Schools are still open with a teacher strike looming over the lack of government support and advice on social distance aswell as an issue with the ingredients of sanitizer being distributed to school's which contained a hazardous chemical, my kids use there own which I made myself in work glycerine, ethanol and water in a spray bottle. 

Kids under 12 don't have to wear masks although; I've three kids two under 12 and they all come home to the same kitchen table as our eldest whom has to wear a mask all day in school, 

My neighbor has been out of work since the beginning of the pandemic as he works in a wet pub; if sesame street was still on TV then todays word would be brought to him by the letters: 

"D" "I" "V" "E" "R" "S" "I" "F" "Y" 

ticklemeelmounemployed.thumb.jpg.d05a5dafc91d68448d74a018fc957692.jpg

Changing times, remain dynamic in this fluid environment and fight back in any way possible; the middle isle in Aldi and Lidl has been stopped by the government here because other shops complained that the items being sold; were not essential 

Tesco and the likes are not allowed to sell non essential items neither; so the only toys available to purchase in shops now are inside the kinder surprise eggs which I wouldn't be surprised if the security guard made the child open it prior to exiting the shop. 

Im very happy to have amazon Prime for both television and great deals on online purchase; I've completed my Christmas list, 

Despite the government says this Christmas will be very different; I've made sacrifices and my priority the past six weeks to be very sure that it won't be any different for my children this year than it was any other and Santa is very important in every home this year above all others and I've post about that before; were all in this together regardless of country or origen the struggle is Real, we will get through it together everyone is affected in some way nobody is alone, I encourage everyone to donate a brand new toy to the local toy bank this year; they will be distributed locally to help Santa's elves that are in self isolation. 

Very important in my opinion. 

All said I'm out; I'll keep my opinion and the weather to myself too as it's never shown on BBC 😂

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, BigLen said:

All said I'm out; I'll keep my opinion and the weather to myself too as it's never shown on BBC 😂

No need to get your coat buddy, really interesting and educational post! Never knew about the 'Spanish' MOT overlords. I have had 2 x holidays cancelled to Donegal this year, the 1st we booked over St Patricks day, just when you announced the first lockdown, the second on the 5th October, when the 2nd one was getting underway (If she indoors books another, I'll let you know so you can prepare LOL)

At least people realise you are a separate country - the number of packages I have received over the years from the 'mainland' with customs forms attached not realising that Northern Ireland is part of the UK! (I even have a proper UK postcode which should be a clue too LOL)

Take care Len, it'll all be over before you know it and we'll be posting, "remember when..."

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigLen said:

In southern Ireland which nobody on here probably even cares about

Course we do Lenny, lovely place with lovely people and lovely Guinness!  Only over last year, visiting NI as well, seems like ages ago now. 

Like @StephenFord I'd never heard of the MoT thing either, but then "nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition" as Monty Python said. 

Take care on both sides of the border, guys.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

No need to get your coat...but you will need to bring your passport to log in after Dec 31st. :wink:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

36 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

No need to get your coat...but you will need to bring your passport to log in after Dec 31st. :wink:

Yeah, his posts will have to be checked at customs . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not quite a lockdown thing, but my mate told me this story about his grandson's best friend, lets call him Peter (not his real name of course):

Peter was part of a family `bubble’ and had to self isolate because he went to see his grandad who later tested positive.  He saw out the next two weeks with no coronavirus problems and went back to school.

A close friend at school then tested positive and Peter had to go back into isolation for a further two weeks.   Once again he showed no effects during this period.

He then went back to school again and someone else in his class tested positive.  Peter was judged to have had close contact and has now had to go into isolation for the third time.

Peter's father is now very worried about his son's mental health.  Even though he is normally a very well adjusted 13 year old from a nice family, he is really starting to feel the strain.

To rub salt into the wound, a few days ago they had a letter from the education department asking them to explain why Peter had recently missed so much schooling.  His parents were not pleased with the letter and have replied accordingly!!

I've mentioned elsewhere the flu epidemic of 1968 (my GCE O level year) which claimed 80,000 plus lives but my education was not affected in any way, and really it got very little attention in the media. I really feel for children at school (or not!) this year.

• Like 2

I find it a little stupid schools are still open. I might wrong. It doesn't help the parents or grandparents if their grand or children come back with covid symptoms and passed it onto them.

• Like 1

I would urge that the only industry that should be shutdown, is 'government'. They swan around in 100% safe, secure & well paid jobs with absolutely NO repercussion or personal responsibility for their actions. There, that felt good to get that off my chest!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, StephenFord said:

There, that felt good to get that off my chest!

A good moan always helps, I find!

Tbh I wouldn't like to be the Government at the moment as they're rather stuck between a rock and a hard place, damned if they do and damned if they don't, and other phrases from the book of assorted cliches.

What does bother me is the scientific/medical advisers such as Messrs Vallance and Whitty who appear to have a particular view and then make the evidence fit. Saturdays briefing seemed highly suspect to me - they put up a series of pretty indistinct slides in quick succession and claimed they were proof of their predictions. When you actually get chance to study them in detail - a number have now appeared online and/or in the press - you see that they're possible scenarios, not predictions, or don't show a whole picture, or are based on projections that were already out of date.

I'm by no means a "coronavirus denier" - that's plain silly imo - but I don't appreciate being given "facts" which are often inaccurate just because they support a particular view.

You're right, that felt good!😃

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

you see that they're possible scenarios, not predictions, or don't show a whole picture, or are based on projections that were already out of date.

Hit the nail on the head there! It's a fools game making predictions - especially about the future LOL 🤣

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club