Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CortinaMKII - noisy propshaft and 5speed gear

FransC

Gents, (lady's too) good afternoon.

Let me introduce myself, my name is Frans living in the netherlands.
The car, a Cortina MKII 1600GT.

In my younger days (I was 23 and just married) I bought this car for daily use begin 1979. The car was 9 years old by then and not worth much. On the other hand, the first owner treated the car very gently but since he was an old guy he messedup the clutch. So doing a new clutch was my first project. Altough I was a tv repairman this was easely done on the street.

We started a family and enjoyed many vacations to the the French Alps with the Cortina untill 2004. From 1987 I started to use the car only for vacation and let a golf diesel do the daily job in normal life. At this moment the Cortina is resting for 17 years what is really ***** me off. Finally (I'm 64 years now) I decided to make it roadproof again and need to do a lot of work.

To make it acceptable to drive these modern days is to get rid off the ever noisy propshaft. arround 50miles it start to vibrate, something we accepted in the past but now it is unacceptable. The plan is to make a split shaft with a bearing in the middle like the sierra. Another plan is to install a 5 speed gearbox and that is my guestion for now.

Does anybody now what possibillity's there are? Any input is welcome.

• 6 months later...

Hi Frans, it seems nobody could help you, so this might very well be too late. Did you have the prop shaft balanced by any chance? I have a 1970 1600 Super, which I've owned for nearly 44 years, and I have never had a vibration or any other problem with the prop shaft.

Sorry to tell you @ddevos but your comment is falling on deaf ears.

@FransC is what we call a "One Post Wonder" they made one post back on 11th July 2021 and have never returned since.

Mmmm... I see he hasn't even visited this forum again since posting his story, why then bother to join in the first place? Since I'm new to this forum I have just now discovered how to see when last someone was active.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, unofix said:

Sorry to tell you @ddevos but your comment is falling on deaf ears.

@FransC is what we call a "One Post Wonder" they made one post back on 11th July 2021 and have never returned since.

Perhaps the OP is suffering from start/stop issues instead of stop/start 🤣

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club