Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What to choose? | 2013 1.6 182 HP EcoBoost MK3 vs 2016 1.0 125 HP EcoBoost MK3.5

Egoistul

Cheers, mates!

I'm going through a headache-inducing dilemma right now and I'd appreciate your help.

For context, I intend to use the car mostly on the highway (70%). I won't be driving more than ~6,000 miles (10,000 km) per year. There aren't any notable insurance price differences between the two where I live, so that's not an issue whatsoever.

I've owned a 1.5 150 HP EcoBoost MK3.5 (FL) for a while in the past, but sold it for multiple reasons: I didn't like that it was a Sedan, it lacked multiple bells and whistles (Driver-Assist technology). I've also driven a 1.0 125 HP EcoBoost MK3 a handful of times and I liked its revvy nature, yet it doesn't really compare to the 4-cylinder, especially on the highway when engaging in a quick takeover. It just feels safer to have a power reserve under the hood.

I'm trying to choose between two Ford Focuses that are quite different, although similar in some aspects. As a note, they're both hatchbacks.

1. A 2013 1.6 182 HP EcoBoost MK3 with ~50,000 miles (80,000 km) on the clock. It costs 6,500 GBP (8,000 EUR).

It comes in the ST-Line Trim since it has lowered (and stiffened?) suspensions and sports seats.

It comes with Xenon headlights, Sync 1 with the 4.2-inch display, Active City Stop, High Beam Assist, Lane-Keeping Assist, BLIS, Cruise Control, Hill Launch Assist, heated windshield, rear heated window, Start/Stop. It has a full service history and it was really well-maintained by the previous owner.

2. A 2016 1.0 125 HP EcoBoost MK3.5 (FL) also with ~50,000 miles (80,000 km) on the clock. It costs 7,500 GBP (9,000 EUR).

This comes in the highest trim. It has everything that comes with the first car, while adding Sync 2 with the 8-inch display, front heated seats, heated driving wheel, front & rear parking sensors, Active Park Assist, backup camera, Cross-Traffic Alert, Keyless Entry, Keyless Go. It also has a full service history and it was really well-maintained by the previous owner.

Now, there are pros and cons for each of them.

The first one is obviously more powerful and 1,000 pounds cheaper, yet 3 years older than the other and it lacks a few useful things such as the parking sensors, backup camera, Sync 2 with touchscreen, heated seats and so on. It also has quite a troublesome engine (I'm talking about the coolant leaks known for causing fires), but the owner says it's been factory recalled and fixed.

The second one is newer, it has all the bells and whistles, but it lacks in the engine department. This engine doesn't have the best reputation either, yet they're much more common in the used car market and there aren't many issues with the 2016 and newer iterations. It's also 1,000 pounds more expensive than the other.

What do you folks think is the best choice? Thank you! 😁

Thanks for your reply, Unofix! What made you suggest that one? I'm trying to find the right arguments since I feel it's quite a tough call between the two.

I would personally go for the 1.0 ECOboost but only if the car has a full service history, all services were performed within schedule conform Ford specifications and requirements.

On 1/10/2022 at 2:09 PM, Egoistul said:

What made you suggest that one?

On balance the many tens (possibly more than a hundred)  of threads of owners of used 1.0 Ecoboost engines that have suffered catastrophic failure at well below 100,000 miles would tell me that unless you could be 110% sure it had been wet nursed (well the belts at least) since the day it first turned a wheel it could well be a very costly engine to maintain in the future.

The 1.6 seems to be for whatever reason a more robust engine. Yes there are owners on these forums that have had issues, but then find me any engine that is not without a few problems. The reliability and durability of the 1.6 seems to be greater than the 1.0, maybe because the engine does not have to work as hard. So in my opinion (and many will disagree) if you want something to last a good few years with less chance of running up repair bills in the thousand of pounds then I'd go for the 1.6 every time.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club