Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford will ship and sell some vehicles with missing chips and a promise to install them later

eddie eastwood

https://www.techspot.com/news/93779-ford-ship-sell-vehicles-missing-chips-promise-install.html

An effort to get vehicles to buyers ASAP

By Shawn Knight March 14, 2022, 3:56 PM

In brief: Ford is no different than other automakers struggling to meet demand during the ongoing chip shortage. Rather than wait around for the requisite semiconductors to roll off the assembly line, the automaker has decided to go ahead and ship some partially built vehicles to dealers and have them sold with an IOU.

Automotive News said Ford will move forward with plans to ship partially built vehicles to dealers that’ll be fully drivable and sellable, but with certain non-safety features absent. For example, in the case of select Ford Explorers, they’ll arrive with non-functional rear passenger climate controls.

Ford spokesperson Said Deep told the publication they are offering ways for customers to get their vehicles sooner during the global semiconductor shortage.

With the Explorer, buyers will receive a discount at the time of purchase. Furthermore, they’ll be able to take the vehicle to a local service center and have the missing chip(s) installed at a later date for free.

Just last month, Ford suspended output at eight factories due to the chip shortage.

BMW in November confirmed that it was removing touchscreen functionality from the infotainment systems of some of its new vehicles due to the chip shortage. Affected customers were reportedly offered $500 in exchange for having to control the system using a physical dial on the center console.

Old news , already posted and discussed. 🤣🤣

Oh ok Ian did not realise that as the article has yesterdays date.

Eddie, I hadn't seen any discussion previously on this forum (might be hidden away in a model-specific thread that I don't look at, perhaps), so thank you.

I understand the rationale, but I think this approach comes under the category of "what could possibly go wrong with that!"

PS re BMW, I'd pay $500 EXTRA so that I could use a physical control knob rather than a touch-screen.....

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, alanfp said:

PS re BMW, I'd pay $500 EXTRA so that I could use a physical control knob rather than a touch-screen.....

Same here.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club