Do Not Sell My Personal Information

snapped timing belt mk3 1.6 tdci 115bhp

slimsimmons1984
聽Share

hey guys

timinig belt snapped on the motorway earlier this week聽馃サ

anyone had a similar experience and have an idea of damage/rebuild cost?

Can you remove the top cam cover so we can see if any damage has occurred in there?聽 Being 8v might have saved the valves themselves so it may not be a huge repair job.

However, it's a very common engine and we don't see many engine failures from belts snapping so it's probably cheaper and easier to fit a used engine rather than repair it.

Don't even think about trying to rebuild it. The cost and time to do it will just be beyond economical repair.

Just source a secondhand engine from a scrapyard

belt was changed last year by previous owner, so im guessing something has gone wrong with whatever they fitted (not through a garage)

gutted as ive only had the car 4 weeks

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, slimsimmons1984 said:

belt was changed last year by previous owner, so im guessing something has gone wrong with whatever they fitted (not through a garage)

gutted as ive only had the car 4 weeks

The DV6 belt is a very simple one, there's not much they could have got wrong!聽 Could you check if the crank pulley is still in place?聽 If there's coolant leaking from the waterpump area?聽 And as above, can you remove the top cam cover?聽 Those things would give us a better idea of what may have failed and what may need repair.

27 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The DV6 belt is a very simple one, there's not much they could have got wrong!聽 Could you check if the crank pulley is still in place?聽 If there's coolant leaking from the waterpump area?聽 And as above, can you remove the top cam cover?聽 Those things would give us a better idea of what may have failed and what may need repair.

at the moment ive pulled the top belt cover back and spotted theres no belt left

we did find a bolt when it was being dropped off the lowloader so my guess is a pulley has come off

havent had a chance to look into the rest yet, but im guessing with the belt coming off at 70/80mph theres considerable damage

one other quick question, any idea where the engine code is placed so i can find a matching engine?

3 hours ago, unofix said:

Don't even think about trying to rebuild it. The cost and time to do it will just be beyond economical repair.

Just source a secondhand engine from a scrapyard

...and get the belt replaced on that one before putting it in the car 馃槈

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Focus_ said:

Belts rarely fail on these.聽 In this case it looks like replacing the belt was the cause of the failure! :laugh:

3 hours ago, slimsimmons1984 said:

one other quick question, any idea where the engine code is placed so i can find a matching engine?

It should be a DV6C.聽 Engine code was originally on a sticker on the cambelt cover...but that's probably faded or fallen off by now.聽 Block etching could be on the front edge just behind the alternator, or around the oil filter/cooler.聽 Either way, not easy to see with ancillaries fitted.聽 Your V5 logbook may also contain an engine code.聽 That's likely to be a Ford specific 4 digit code that can then be used to find the generic PSA/FMC engine number.

• Like 1

Full engine code doesn't show on ETIS.聽 Will just say DV6.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Belts rarely fail on these.聽 In this case it looks like replacing the belt was the cause of the failure! :laugh:

Well that is true 馃槅

Just out of interest, what needs to be changed/ modified in terms of the onboard electronics when swapping an engine? And can all of it be done by Forscan?聽

If you swap the engine like for like, and keep all the original modules belonging to your vehicle then there is very little that needs to be programmed/updated.

Any changes that maybe needed will be able to be done by FORScan and a decent ELM327 lead or better the new vLinker FS cable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, unofix said:

If you swap the engine like for like, and keep all the original modules belonging to your vehicle then there is very little that needs to be programmed/updated.

Any changes that maybe needed will be able to be done by FORScan and a decent ELM327 lead or better the new vLinker FS cable.

i was just about to ask the same question as when i chaged my mk1 focus diesel i had to keep the solenoid or something similair off original pump

ive just ordered a cable to use with forscan

these are the stickers on side of engine

fd37e27f-445d-40bc-862f-de18e82f9e1f.jpg

e2d4b0f0-d5a4-45aa-8af3-a3d4105c6bc4.jpg

bd9d1052-40e1-4b7c-8dc4-d6ea4345d7b1.jpg

c23ae76e-6d0c-43f3-8708-20cffb8b6e79.jpg

22 hours ago, Focus_ said:

replacing the belt is what killed this one off聽馃槃聽gates kit with waterpump belt etc

typical my luck lol

31 minutes ago, slimsimmons1984 said:

these are the stickers on side of engine

fd37e27f-445d-40bc-862f-de18e82f9e1f.jpg

e2d4b0f0-d5a4-45aa-8af3-a3d4105c6bc4.jpg

bd9d1052-40e1-4b7c-8dc4-d6ea4345d7b1.jpg

c23ae76e-6d0c-43f3-8708-20cffb8b6e79.jpg

T1DB is the Ford engine code.聽 DV6C is the engine family (also used in Peugeot, Citroen, etc.)聽

22 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

It should be a DV6C.聽 Engine code was originally on a sticker on the cambelt cover.

I see you were 100% correct Tom, it is indeed a DV6C 馃憤

DV6C.JPG

• Thanks 1

is there any difference in the citroen engines? just changed a gearbox on my ds3 with same engine code

2 minutes ago, slimsimmons1984 said:

is there any difference in the citroen engines?

Yes, the ECU speaks French 馃ぃ

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, slimsimmons1984 said:

is there any difference in the citroen engines? just changed a gearbox on my ds3 with same engine code

The main engine block/head is the same as long as both are DV6C.聽 But the ancillaries may be different.

On 3/30/2022 at 1:56 PM, TomsFocus said:

The main engine block/head is the same as long as both are DV6C.聽 But the ancillaries may be different.

the pug/cit advertised engines seem to be cheaper than specific ford advertised, had no luck finding anything local so far

On 3/29/2022 at 10:54 AM, TomsFocus said:

wouldn't happen to know if there's a guide for locking engine and changing belt etc? I've tried searching but no luck

3 minutes ago, slimsimmons1984 said:

wouldn't happen to know if there's a guide for locking engine and changing belt etc? I've tried searching but no luck

I made a guide for the older 16v model a few years ago.聽 The second cam on those was driven by a chain so the belt change is basically the same on both engines.聽聽

Basic Cambelt Change Guide - Mk2.5 Focus 1.6 TDCi - Ford Focus Club - Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club