Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Stamp Swap Out

TomsFocus

The Royal Mail's 'Stamp Swap Out' scheme has officially started.

If you have any old style stamps without a barcode you won't be able to use those after Jan 31st 2023.  The easiest option is to use them all before that date.  But if you cannot use them within that time frame, they can be easily swapped out using a downloadable form from this page. 

Reinventing stamps for the next generations | Royal Mail Group Ltd

Oddly, the form asks for the total value of the stamps rather than each type (1st, 2nd, large etc).  With the price of stamps increasing on April 4th, make sure you use the new prices to calculate their monetary value.

• Like 2

It says the time limit does not apply to special stamps with pictures on (I assume what that means what is usually referred to as commemorative stamps) and Christmas stamps.  So that helps.   I think you have to send them off in the post to swap don’t you? Being cynical won’t they say they never received them?

I wouldn’t be surprised if someone tried a legal challenge . They have changed the rules after they sold the stamps.  If I bought the stamps 6 months ago I was not told they have an expiry date then it is not on to change the rules after the contract of sale happened.  If they wanted to do this they should have put expiry dates on stamps a long long time ago. It won’t affect me financially but I do think it’s out of order really

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, isetta said:

I think you have to send them off in the post to swap don’t you? Being cynical won’t they say they never received them?

Yes, that's right.  As another cynic, I took a picture of mine plus the form and the envelope before posting them. 

1 hour ago, isetta said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if someone tried a legal challenge . They have changed the rules after they sold the stamps.  If I bought the stamps 6 months ago I was not told they have an expiry date then it is not on to change the rules after the contract of sale happened.  If they wanted to do this they should have put expiry dates on stamps a long long time ago.

I do see your point, but there has to be a 'cut-off' point with any new scheme surely?  There are now so many fake stamps being sold online that they had to put an end date on this type otherwise people would continue using the fakes indefinitely.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

I do see your point, but there has to be a 'cut-off' point with any new scheme surely? 

didn't there used to be an automatic 'cut-off' point ? it was called putting the value of the stamp on it !!

11 hours ago, unofix said:

didn't there used to be an automatic 'cut-off' point ? it was called putting the value of the stamp on it !!

Not sure that's a cut-off point?  Just makes it annoying when the price goes up a few pence in the following year and you have to add a little extra. 

Must admit, I can't remember the basic (1st & 2nd class) stamps having the value printed on them so it must have been a while ago when they stopped that?

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Must admit, I can't remember the basic (1st & 2nd class) stamps having the value printed on them so it must have been a while ago when they stopped that?

It was around 2003 when the values on the stamps started to be removed and replaced with 1st or 2nd so as not to cause alarm when the price of stamps rocketed skywards.

stamps.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As an experiment, I have posted off a few '2nd class' stamps for swapping just to see how long it takes before sending off my whole stamp reserve. I also got the form posted out to me complete with pre paid envelope to ship them back. Yes, you can print off the form on your printer and use your own envelope, but hey, if RM are willing to do it for me, why not!

IMG_20220406_103434.thumb.jpg.2e8c1bffc73ee535d7630bf7b2a91668.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

That crease! :shocking:

I know LOL That kinda freaked me out too, my OCD took a severe battering on seeing it!

• Haha 1

Not impressed! Well, the service was really good, new stamps arrived within 6 days, BUT, they are enormous! As you can see, for the old footprint of 6 x stamps, you get 4 x new ones. Now in the grand scheme of life, not a biggie, but in the limited space within a wallet, using the traditional credit card slot, well, it makes a difference! Oh well, I suppose in a few years we'll get use to it...

IMG_20220412_122227.thumb.jpg.52b4e0277961d987f293c344095a4689.jpg

UPDATE...

Just tried to put 4 x new stamps in wallet (credit card slot) They do NOT fit! How can they design them to be non compatible with the ubiquitous credit card slot which has standardised the size of such things for decades?? Conclusion? They suck...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StephenFord said:

using the traditional credit card slot

Yes, you need that space for the credit card you need to use to buy stamps these days!😀

2 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Not impressed! Well, the service was really good, new stamps arrived within 6 days, BUT, they are enormous! As you can see, for the old footprint of 6 x stamps, you get 4 x new ones. Now in the grand scheme of life, not a biggie, but in the limited space within a wallet, using the traditional credit card slot, well, it makes a difference! Oh well, I suppose in a few years we'll get use to it...

So whats the idea of the stamps having QR codes on them ?

I see each stamp has a unique QR so I guess they can track each individual stamp through the post (big brother is watching you). No good if you are trying to post an anonymous letter 🤣

On 4/1/2022 at 1:32 PM, TomsFocus said:

The Royal Mail's 'Stamp Swap Out' scheme has officially started.

Thanks for flagging that up Tom. My Mrs is a serial stamp hoarder so I'll be getting the form. I understand from the Royal Mail site that as yet there is no time limit on doing a swap after January 31 2023. 

• Like 1

Received my swapped stamps today.  8 working days from collection.

System has worked fine, I've got all the same type back as I sent.  (It does state they may make up the value with alternatives due to stock etc).

Same complaint as Stephen though, they are massive!  And no longer in neat little books either.

Only thing I would say is be very careful hand writing your address on the form.  Not sure if it's deciphered by a computer or a dyslexic, but they managed to spell my name and street wrong, there's not a single capital letter used, and they even got the post code wrong, replacing a number with a letter!! :unsure:

• Like 1

I expect time taken will be longer when closer to the new rules deadline. Bigger stamps = more paper. No green credentials here then.  Lol. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, isetta said:

... Bigger stamps = more paper. No green credentials here then.  Lol. 

Well, it's only a temporary measure anyway as Extinction Rebellion keep telling us we've only 10 years left (or, is it 9 now??)  🤣🤣🤣

10 hours ago, isetta said:

I expect time taken will be longer when closer to the new rules deadline. Bigger stamps = more paper. No green credentials here then.  Lol. 

Not just paper, but I also wonder what it is that makes stamps shiny...something plastic based presumably? :unsure: 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club