Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Ghia Estate Mk2 Bluetooth issues

bettsaj

Long story short..... When I purchased my car it came with the voice control, steering wheel stalk all ready installed, and the Sony stereo obviously has the capability to use bluetooth. However, when it was new the buyer didn't spec bluetooth so it wasn't installed, even though all the other accoutrements are there. I'd love to have bluetooth, and would like to know a few things.

1. There isn't a Bluetooth module behind the glove box, however will the wiring be there?? I'm assuming that the cars loom will be universal to cover all specs, the plug for the Bluetooth module I'm assuming is tucked away behind there unused?? Is that a fair assumption? 
  2. If I buy a used Bluetooth module and install it (assuming all the wiring is there) is there anything to be done via ecu/pc or should it be plug and play?
  3. Does it matter what module I buy? I've noticed there's a couple, one with USB and one without USB. I've learned that the one with USB is enabled to stream music from a phone via Bluetooth where the non USB type hasn't got that capability..... Is that correct??

I'm hoping that it's a simple case of install the module and I'm away... However as with all these things, they're never that straight forward. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also check if you have a microphone in the small grill in the headlining on the drivers side.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eddie eastwood said:

Also check if you have a microphone in the small grill in the headlining on the drivers side.

That's a good idea... you mean the small grille in front of the courtesy light... 

3 hours ago, eddie eastwood said:

Just checked... yes  the mic is there and connected 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bettsaj said:

There isn't a Bluetooth module behind the glove box, however will the wiring be there?? I'm assuming that the cars loom will be universal to cover all specs, the plug for the Bluetooth module I'm assuming is tucked away behind there unused?? Is that a fair assumption? 

Yes that is a fair assumption. I would expect it to be there normally folded back in to the loom and often difficult to find.

If I buy a used Bluetooth module and install it (assuming all the wiring is there) is there anything to be done via ecu/pc or should it be plug and play?

On your model/age vehicle it should just plug in and work.

Does it matter what module I buy? I've noticed there's a couple, one with USB and one without USB. I've learned that the one with USB is enabled to stream music from a phone via Bluetooth where the non USB type hasn't got that capability..... Is that correct??

Yes it will matter what module you buy. I don't think your system has the capability to stream music and the bluetooth modules from 2008 are not fully compatible with 2022 mobile phones. You are in to the 'suck it and see' area of what might work.

Note: The law changed last month regarding the use of mobile phones in the car. It is now illegal to 'touch' 'look at' or use a mobile phone for "any" purpose while driving, that includes touching the phone to reject an incoming call. The law will be amended (but has yet to be) to deal with using a mobile phone as a satnav, so presently that now is also illegal until the law is updated. The new laws basically give the police the power to charge you with the use of a mobile phone by claiming you looked at the screen while driving. 

Illegal to use mobile phone to stream music to your car if you touch the phone.

17 minutes ago, unofix said:

Illegal to use mobile phone to stream music to your car if you touch the phone.

Yeah... seen that and know about the change in the law... which is why I Wang to get bluetooth working 

29 minutes ago, unofix said:

Yes that is a fair assumption. I would expect it to be there normally folded back in to the loom and often difficult to find.

On your model/age vehicle it should just plug in and work.

Yes it will matter what module you buy. I don't think your system has the capability to stream music and the bluetooth modules from 2008 are not fully compatible with 2022 mobile phones. You are in to the 'suck it and see' area of what might work.

Note: The law changed last month regarding the use of mobile phones in the car. It is now illegal to 'touch' 'look at' or use a mobile phone for "any" purpose while driving, that includes touching the phone to reject an incoming call. The law will be amended (but has yet to be) to deal with using a mobile phone as a satnav, so presently that now is also illegal until the law is updated. The new laws basically give the police the power to charge you with the use of a mobile phone by claiming you looked at the screen while driving. 

My car is a 2007 by the way

3 minutes ago, bettsaj said:

My car is a 2007 by the way

I guess that's why your profile says 2008 🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, unofix said:

I guess that's why your profile says 2008 🤣

You got me thinking now... I need to check... its a 57 plate

Yes, looks very probable. It's the one I would try 👍

I see your profile now says 2007, but is it ..........?

4 minutes ago, unofix said:

Yes, looks very probable. It's the one I would try 👍

I see your profile now says 2007, but is it ..........?

It's a 57 plate.... 

1 minute ago, bettsaj said:

It's a 57 plate.... 

which runs from 1st September 2007 until 28th February 2008, so it could be either.

Just put your registration in the governments road tax checker and it will tell you when the car was first registered.

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

1 hour ago, unofix said:

which runs from 1st September 2007 until 28th February 2008, so it could be either.

Just put your registration in the governments road tax checker and it will tell you when the car was first registered.

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

September 2007

Any idea where abouts the wiring for the module would be? When I take the glove box out, would it be on the left or on the right near the stereo itself?

On the passenger side, somewhere near the glovebox.

36 minutes ago, unofix said:

On the passenger side, somewhere near the glovebox.

Yeah, I know that. I have to remove the glove box... But I'm trying to whittle down the possibilities. I've heard it's normally screwed to left hand wall in which case the wiring would be in the same vicinity. I suspect the wiring will be taped up in the loom somewhere so I'll have to untape some of the loom wiring to expose it. 

I've ordered that module off eBay... for 25 quid if it's not correct it's not a huge loss.

Latest news is this... I have bought a module off eBay.... took glove box out to find the cable and low and behold, I already have a bluetooth module. Now I was of the impression that it didn't have one  following a visit to a main dealer to have a software update, they reckon they looked and told me it didn't have a module.... looks like they either didn't know where it was, or they just didn't look.... anyhow, I have audio muted on the display when I press either the phone button, or the green button... I know I have phone capability.... I have everything there... its just not working... and ideas???

19 minutes ago, bettsaj said:

Now I was of the impression that it didn't have one  following a visit to a main dealer to have a software update, they reckon they looked and told me it didn't have a module.... looks like they either didn't know where it was, or they just didn't look.... 

They would have 'looked' at the modules electronically on the diagnostic system...  If it's not showing up on the system, it's probably faulty.  Did you try swapping it with your eBay replacement?

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

They would have 'looked' at the modules electronically on the diagnostic system...  If it's not showing up on the system, it's probably faulty.  Did you try swapping it with your ebay replacement?

They told me they had the glove box out snd physically looked... regarding swapping it over, its bolted in above the glove box, and I can't get in there to unscrew it from the holder, not enough room... I did try unplugging it but can't get the plug out its in a very awhward position, i think theyve bolted the module to the wrong side of the bracket. If I can just get the plug out I can plug the new one in to test without removing the old one. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

They would have 'looked' at the modules electronically on the diagnostic system...  If it's not showing up on the system, it's probably faulty.  Did you try swapping it with your ebay replacement?

Also, they didnt put it on the diagnostic system... they were going to charge me for that so they looked physically to check before they hooked it up to the pc... I took it to the main dealer specifically to get the audio update due to the audio muted message.... but they didnt bother due to them saying there was no module

• Confused 1

55 minutes ago, bettsaj said:

Also, they didnt put it on the diagnostic system... they were going to charge me for that so they looked physically to check before they hooked it up to the pc... I took it to the main dealer specifically to get the audio update due to the audio muted message.... but they didnt bother due to them saying there was no module

Strange!  Takes less time to plug in than it does to remove glovebox.  Might be worth getting yourself Forscan to save on future 'plug in' costs.

(Just noticed your location...wasn't a JG dealer was it?)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Strange!  Takes less time to plug in than it does to remove glovebox.  Might be worth getting yourself Forscan to save on future 'plug in' costs.

Not sure.... it was the ford dealer in Thetford. They didn't charge me for checking the module... but they were going to charge me for hooking it up to the computer.... where can I get Forscan from, is it the same as what they use?

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

It was Ames Thetford..... 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club