Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Focus Estate - can you fit a bike rack at the back?

mikecro

Currently have a 2012 Focus Estate - looking to upgrade to a much newer one. Has the design changed enough to allow a bike rack to be fitted at the back?

I don't want to fit a towbar with the loss of fuel efficiency.

Thanks - have tried googling.

5 hours ago, mikecro said:

I don't want to fit a towbar with the loss of fuel efficiency.

Why would fitting a towbar affect your fuel efficiency ?

5 hours ago, unofix said:

Well I must admit this is a fact I thought I knew but a quick google says there is no aerodynamic impact and negligible difference from the weight. So thank you. Towbar it is

“It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “ – Mark Twain

• Like 2

It's roof racks that really ruin the aerodynamics.  Even without anything on them you can hear the wind resistance they create as they go whistling past.  Adding bikes or a roof box is likely to lose you at least a few mpg.

Plus, I never feel safe behind a car with bikes on the roof...haven't seen one come off so far, but it just doesn't look safe!

You could go onto Saris' web site and put your car details in to see what happens - won't get around the need for electrics to power the trailer board tho'

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2022 at 6:33 PM, RMurphy195 said:

You could go onto Saris' web site and put your car details in to see what happens - won't get around the need for electrics to power the trailer board tho'

UPDATE: I know the original query concerned the Estate, however those following this thread may be interested in the results of my offering-up my Saris Bones 3 to my Hatchback ST-Line.

NOT successful! Issue encountered (before I gave up!) were

1) Upper straps and/or feet foul the "Whale-Tail" on the top edge of the tailgate

2) Side straps ditto the black panels that blend-in with the whale-tail

I didn't try any further!

I would expect both of these issues to apply to any strap-on bike rack. The whale-tail problem may also occur if using a towbar-mounted rack that uses a top strap for stability.

Ho hum😟

On 4/18/2022 at 2:42 PM, unofix said:

It wouldn't in itself (unless you count the extra weight!). Attaching a trailer though, thats another matter!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club