Do Not Sell My Personal Information

air con

IRONMAN
聽Share

Hi all, My 2012 1.6 diesel focus air con has stopped blowing cold air.聽 Everything seems to be working, i can see the compressor turn on and off with the switch, and the filter is not too bad but i will replace it tomorrow. Any ideas?聽馃

On a 2012 car I would suspect a leak and it has run out of refrigerant gas.

Go to Kwik Fit (or similar) and get the system checked for leaks and re-gassed if there are no leaks.

• Like 3

Thanks Unofix, My mechanic told me how to check it over the phone, no leaks聽馃憤

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IRONMAN said:

Thanks Unofix, My mechanic told me how to check it over the phone, no leaks聽馃憤

You need to share this miraculous diagnosis, discovering 'no leaks' over the phone. Of all the time I have wasted over the years getting an engineer to actually look at the A/C! 馃ぃ

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

You need to share this miraculous diagnosis, discovering 'no leaks' over the phone 馃ぃ

My phone can't do it because it's only an android but if you had a 'julian assange' phone it would find all kinds of leaks 馃ぃ

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, IRONMAN said:

Hi all, My 2012 1.6 diesel focus air con has stopped blowing cold air.

Despite your, 'no leak' diagnosis, I have had issues with every A/C car I've had in the last 30 years. They fall into 3 x categories:

1) The compressor, despite it looking like it works, the gaskets can fail allowing a leak.

2) The condenser radiator - usually in a prime location to get hit by stones, it'll leak.

3)The A/C pipework may have corroded somewhere, even a pinhole, and it'll leak.

An A/C leak isn't like water, you'll not see a puddle under the car, the gas will just evaporate. The only sure way of testing is putting the system under a vacuum and seeing if it will hold. If it doesn't, it has a leak which needs to be repaired before recharging again. As Unofix said, make sure it's tested first, otherwise you just chuck money down the drain if it leaks again! A proper A/C engineer will charge the system with a fluorescent liquid so that the leak can easily visually be seen...

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

You need to share this miraculous diagnosis, discovering 'no leaks' over the phone. Of all the time I have wasted over the years getting an engineer to actually look at the A/C! 馃ぃ

The info I got (over the phone) was to test for pressure on the valve as you would with a tyre to eliminate total leakage until my mechanic could get a chance to physically check the system聽馃榿馃憤

24 minutes ago, IRONMAN said:

The info I got (over the phone) was to test for pressure on the valve as you would with a tyre to eliminate total leakage until my mechanic could get a chance to physically check the system聽馃榿馃憤

Playing devils advocate, even if you do get a 'hissing' when pressing down on the valve, the actual pressure may still be below the threshold of activating your A/C. Keep us posted on what you discover the fault is...

• Like 1

A working fully charged system is around 200psi not something to be messed about with.

• Like 2

And the gas coming out could quite easily give you frostbite on the fingers, or blind you if to close. Not to mention global warming of 1340 times worse than co2 ( that we all allegedly concerned about)

I know, bit extreme for a little gas released to check for pressure.聽

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, unofix said:

A working fully charged system is around 200psi not something to be messed about with.

7 minutes ago, iantt said:

And the gas coming out could quite easily give you frostbite on the fingers, or blind you if to close. Not to mention global warming of 1340 times worse than co2 ( that we all allegedly concerned about)

You guys now working for Extinction Rebellion?? LOL 馃ぃ

• Haha 2

Yeah,we out to save the world, well, the dolphins and polar bears. Sad but I just worked out if you let a fully charged air con system escape, that's the equivalent of co2聽 driving a car 3500miles.聽

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Playing devils advocate, even if you do get a 'hissing' when pressing down on the valve, the actual pressure may still be below the threshold of activating your A/C. Keep us posted on what you discover the fault is...

I presume it was just to give him an idea of what could be going wrong pending full investigation. All fingers still in tact, as for the Co2 escaping enjoy the fine weather this weekend with my compliments聽馃槑馃憤

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, iantt said:

Yeah,we out to save the world, well, the dolphins and polar bears. Sad but I just worked out if you let a fully charged air con system escape, that's the equivalent of co2聽 driving a car 3500miles.聽

Crikey, if the gas wasn't so expensive, I'd release a bucketful just for fun!

• Haha 3

49 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Crikey, if the gas wasn't so expensive, I'd release a bucketful just for fun!

No blue Peter badge for you then.聽

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, iantt said:

No blue Peter badge for you then.聽

Too late LOL I got one in 1971 when I sent John Noakes in a picture I painted of him and his new pet, Shep 馃ぃ

• Like 2

Update. The car is booked in for proper diagnostics on Wednesday, on quick inspection they suspect a sensor problem. Thanks for your help and comments聽馃憤

Update. So my air con is working again, HURRAY.

Having went to a reputable technician this evening, he ran a full diagnostic and found the gas was extremely low and refilled it. It took about 45 mins and cost 120 Euros. Needless to say before this I knew nothing about the air con system except to switch it on 5 or 6 times a year when we get the odd fine day聽馃ぃ. Lesson learned, thanks again for the input, much appreciated聽馃憤馃憦馃憦馃憦

3 minutes ago, IRONMAN said:

I'm shocked, imagine you needing more gas, who'd have thought 馃ぃ That phone diagnosis sure was a bust!聽 If it goes again within a few weeks, you have a leak.

• Haha 1

Ya they told me that, strangely enough the phone diagnosis to push in the valve was horse doodoo馃槅

24 minutes ago, IRONMAN said:

Having went to a reputable technician this evening, he ran a full diagnostic and found the gas was extremely low and refilled it. It took about 45 mins and cost 120 Euros. Needless to say before this I knew nothing about the air con system except to switch it on 5 or 6 times a year when we get the odd fine day聽馃ぃ. Lesson learned, thanks again for the input, much appreciated聽馃憤馃憦馃憦馃憦

120 Euro's jeeez is that an Irish price ?????

4 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

Now, what gave that away LOL

irish.jpeg.17635358c59528a4187e265be22dcb44.jpeg

• Like 1

ATS did mine on a voucher for 拢35.00, full check and regass

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

ATS did mine on a voucher for 拢35.00, full check and regass

ATS do not operate in Ireland, them's the breaks LOL

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

Yep

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club