Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford will end speeding tickets!!

StephenFord

OMG, kill me now... On tonight's, 'Gadget Show', they featured a Ford project currently on test in Cologne, Germany where new Fords will have their speed regulated by geo fencing by location. This will override the driver, and slow car down to the speed limit. Testing will be for a year, then with a (Ford) hopeful roll out. God I'm glad I'm old, I don't have to suffer this awful cr*p for much longer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That's been on the cards for some time now unfortunately. Last time I looked into it the driver could override the system, there were a lot of opposing views due to road safety. We've all been in that situation were going over the speed limit for say 30s to get out of trouble has been necessary, I'd defy anyone to say otherwise. 

Another tech cost that will be forced on the consumer. 

I share your sentiments, Stephen. Rather than shuffle off this mortal coil though my plan is just to pack in driving (if you can call it that) when I can't take any more of this stuff and just max out the bus pass and senior rail card!😀

Didn't catch that particular programme - how does this differ from the compulsory speed limiters on new models which has already been introduced from this month?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Didn't catch that particular programme - how does this differ from the compulsory speed limiters on new models which has already been introduced from this month?

That's the systems I was referring too, which I think are the ones you can override. Ford propose a system that the driver cannot circumvent, which could be another nail in the brands coffin.

8 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I think the main area of innovation was this, 'geo fencing' issue, rather than techniques used in the past to limit speed. (No, I'm not sure what it is either LOL)

I can't watch the Gadget Show any more.  How can a show all about modern technology not use a damn gimbal or even a fixed tripod in the studio!?  I've watched steadier ferry crossings...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, StephenFord said:

OMG, kill me now

Yup !!

I know just how you feel. :sad:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

I can't watch the Gadget Show any more.  How can a show all about modern technology not use a damn gimbal or even a fixed tripod in the studio!?  I've watched steadier ferry crossings...

I never watch it 'live', allows me to speed 30x FF when they play games etc LOL I can dispense with a whole show often in 20 minutes!

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, StephenFord said:

I think the main area of innovation was this, 'geo fencing' issue, rather than techniques used in the past to limit speed. (No, I'm not sure what it is either LOL)

As far as my understanding goes (which is not very far!) geofencing creates a virtual boundary around an actual geographic area, so in this context presumably a 30mph zone, or whatever. I believe there are several ways of doing this, including mobile phone signals, computer IP addresses, etc, but it still largely seems to rely on GPS as far as I can see.

I'm sure none of us set out with the intention of breaking the law, and we certainly don't like points, fines or speed awareness courses, so if these things were 100% guaranteed to work correctly we might be more enthusiastic. So, if all this technology is so marvellous, you might reasonably expect the authorities to absolve the driver from prosecution if a vehicle thus equipped went over the limit. But no, the European Commission (which is the main driver of this stuff) has already clearly stated that, “the driver is always responsible for adhering to the relevant traffic rules and that the Intelligent Speed Assistance system is a best-effort driver assistance system to alert the driver, whenever possible and appropriate” and no doubt the UK government will take the same position.

So basically, we just have to go on being as alert to speed limits as usual, while coping with whatever annoying warnings/interference the system comes up with, all the time mindful that it could be giving us false information as existing GPS and camera based systems do.

18 hours ago, StephenFord said:

OMG, kill me now... On tonight's, 'Gadget Show', they featured a Ford project currently on test in Cologne, Germany where new Fords will have their speed regulated by geo fencing by location. This will override the driver, and slow car down to the speed limit. Testing will be for a year, then with a (Ford) hopeful roll out. God I'm glad I'm old, I don't have to suffer this awful cr*p for much longer.

Soon turn that off with Forscan👍

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

Soon turn that off with Forscan

Apparently the effectiveness of the systems is to be reviewed in 2025. I have seen reference to the use of anonymous data to find out the number of times cars were driven with the ISA switched off and on, number of times the ISA was set-off and overridden and the average time between the speed limiter being switched on and off.

Presumably this sort of data will be stored in the "brains" of cars equipped with the system so I guess they'd throw up a flag if interfered with, as some makes already do with remaps etc.

This is all getting very sinister!

19 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Apparently the effectiveness of the systems is to be reviewed in 2025. I have seen reference to the use of anonymous data to find out the number of times cars were driven with the ISA switched off and on, number of times the ISA was set-off and overridden and the average time between the speed limiter being switched on and off.

Presumably this sort of data will be stored in the "brains" of cars equipped with the system so I guess they'd throw up a flag if interfered with, as some makes already do with remaps etc.

This is all getting very sinister!

As long as it's reactivated for MOT, there's not a lot they can do about it, just like DPF removal etc

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club