Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Mountain Bike advice.

jace1969

Hi All.

I have just brought off my friend a Carrera Hellcat for £100,it is like new (i will add picture below)just been serviced.

I do know going back a few years these were a £400 plus bike,its the 19'' wheel and 18' frame and 24 gears (3 front and 8 back)on the cogs,also gel seat cover.

First thing is what's the best thing to lubricate the chain or is it just normal oil as don't want it going everywhere when I'm on it,i do know its got this gel in the tyres something like it seals up the tyres if a puncture so is it just blow them up normal if needed.

Also as for the Head gear,i have the helmet but does anyone put i think it is a balaclava on first then helmet as these cool feel ones looks good,there breathable ones.

Thanks and sorry for may be some stupid questions as the last mountain bike had was a Hawk Cycle,it was steel and needed a crain to lift it,got to say had a go on it and amazing,gears spot on and so smooth.

mountain bike.jpg

Wiggle is a good place to start, blue oil is something I've used on my previous cycles which was recommended by others.

If you have an inner tube with a sealant inside- in my opinion and I do a lot of road cycling it’s hit and miss,sometimes it works,sometimes it could be a long walk home.

1 minute ago, williamweb said:

If you have an inner tube with a sealant inside- in my opinion and I do a lot of road cycling it’s very hit and miss sometimes it works sometimes it could be a long walk home.

I'm bikeless at the moment, but used to suffer frequent punctures until I discovered the sealing inner tubes and used them on my road and mountain bike. Never had one after that, so I'm a fan.

1 minute ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I'm bikeless at the moment, but used to suffer frequent punctures until I discovered the sealing inner tubes and used them on my road and mountain bike. Never had one after that, so I'm a fan.

I’ve had the opposite experience.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, williamweb said:

I’ve had the opposite experience.

Not much point taking our advice then - we cancel each other out!😀

• Haha 2

Just now, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Not much point taking our advice then - we cancel each other out!😀

I use a Tannus sleeve much more reliable in my opinion.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, williamweb said:

I use a Tannus sleeve much more reliable in my opinion.

I keep thinking of getting another bike so will bear those in mind. Could you use those with a self sealing tube as well for a belt and braces approach?

I haven't ridden a bike for a decade, but the self-sealing tubes were rubbish back then.  I wonder if the tech has improved since?

13 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I keep thinking of getting another bike so will bear those in mind. Could you use those with a self sealing tube as well for a belt and braces approach?

I don’t think it’s recommended, I wouldn’t do it.The good thing about Tannus inners - I can continue to cycle on a flat tyre.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I haven't ridden a bike for a decade, but the self-sealing tubes were rubbish back then.  I wonder if the tech has improved since?

The tech is on the market,if you are willing to spend the money.I have a feeling and it’s not scientific ha ha, over time the sealant degrades.

• Like 2

Like i said i aint got a clue what sort he used, he said he had it serviced not too long ago (sounds weird saying a bike service) also the chain looks ok as yet just wanted a bit of advice.

I just could not turn it down the condition of it, it will be used mainly canal/footpath riding as i can get to where i work that way.

Do any of you wear an helmet when say on the canal.

And thanks to you all for the advice even if some say good/bad just good to hear them either way.

Sounds like a life jacket might be more useful next to a canal! :biggrin:

2 hours ago, jace1969 said:

Like i said i aint got a clue what sort he used, he said he had it serviced not too long ago (sounds weird saying a bike service) also the chain looks ok as yet just wanted a bit of advice.

I just could not turn it down the condition of it, it will be used mainly canal/footpath riding as i can get to where i work that way.

Do any of you wear an helmet when say on the canal.

And thanks to you all for the advice even if some say good/bad just good to hear them either way.

These days most cyclists wear a helmet.Why wouldn’t you?

• Like 2

I haven’t ridden my bicycle for a while, it’s just too dangerous with the traffic.  Rode if quite a bit during first lockdown as so little traffic.  Chain lube, I like the aerosol of stuff I use on my motorbike. Goes on runny, then goes sticky to stop it flying off, assume high in solvents of ozone damaging type.  People like to steal bikes so I like to have mine looking like no one would want to steal it.  And don’t forget it’s not just at risk when unaccompanied, they can just push you off as you cycle along and steal it.

Regarding the tyre sealant - you need to top this up every few months and replace it completely once a year or so. Plenty of Youtube videos showing you how. It's no guarantee though - it can still fail and you should carry a tubeless repair kit, pump, and if all else fails, an inner tube. Bear in mind that in order to install a tube you will need to remove the tubeless valve first.

As for chain lubricant, I'm a fair weather cyclist and swear by Finish Line teflon dry lubricant. Also I highly recommend a Park Tool Cyclone chain cleaner - used with a suitable degreaser it's the best way to get your chain clean. If you don't clean your drivetrain regularly you'll end up wearing it out and having to replace the chain, chainrings and/or cassette.

And yeah, wear a helmet. Whether they save lives or not is a whole can of worms I'm not going to open, but I look at it this way - if you don't have one, I can guarantee it won't save your life.

Think you look like a div in a helmet? Think how much of a div you'll look sans-helmet in the back of an ambulance.

Thanks for all the advice.

Im a volunteer for people with mental health problems and i mean any sort so i have seen with my own eyes what not wearing a helmet does, young people as well,i was just asking if some still don't.

As for the tyres i will ask the person when the sealant was put in and what type.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club