Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Repairing chipped paint near boot

bettz

Hi all wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how best to repair a few paint chips near the boot. 

I've bought a chip pen kit from Halfords but was wondering if that's the best way. 

The white paint feels like it needs to be sanded down lightly before attempting to repair. 

IMG_20220811_160813.jpg

IMG_20220811_160823.jpg

IMG_20220811_160826.jpg

try the pen no harm. if you dont like the finish, then sand and rattle can plenty of instructionals on how for best results, once happy with the finish remember to clear coat and dont use grinding paste etc for at leat 2 weeks to allow whatever you use to harden.

• Like 1

Thanks I'll try the pen kit and report back

• Like 1

When you say near the boot, do you mean that the chips are on the plastic bumper?

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2022 at 11:41 PM, alanfp said:

When you say near the boot, do you mean that the chips are on the plastic bumper?

Yes it's on the bumper below the boot think it happened when I picked a treadmill up. 

I'm still unsure what to do. It feels like it needs sanding down and would look better sprayed

On 8/12/2022 at 11:30 AM, Jimpster said:

try the pen no harm. if you dont like the finish, then sand and rattle can plenty of instructionals on how for best results, once happy with the finish remember to clear coat and dont use grinding paste etc for at leat 2 weeks to allow whatever you use to harden.

I think I'll go the spraying route watched a few YouTube vids and after using the kit the area always looks raised. 

What sort of sandpaper would you recommend and would I need to prime it as I don't think it's gone all the way through. 

Wet and dry start with 240 and go finer as the chip flattens out, wet finger are the best for feeling if its smooth, dry and wipe to make sure the area is clean. multiple fine coats of paint, leave a couple of days to harden, light sand with 2000 grit and laquer if all looks good if not more prep needed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

So I paid a guy to repair my chips this week and let's just say I'm not v happy sure I could have done a better job. 

He told me he got the paint mixed from my code but it def looks more cream than frozen white. 

I've been quoted £280 & £220 to spray as they all say the whole bumper needs doing?? 

IMG_20221119_203716.jpg

IMG_20221116_150625.jpg

2 hours ago, bettz said:

So I paid a guy to repair my chips this week and let's just say I'm not v happy sure

An old saying is "Pay peanuts get monkeys"

2 hours ago, bettz said:

I've been quoted £280 & £220 to spray as they all say the whole bumper needs doing

and pay the going rate and get a decent job.

Its all in the prep, tho with some colours going off the code will NEVER result in a match due to age, fading etc. Old school is to colour cut the rest of the car or panel after a couple of weeks for the repair to harden.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jimpster said:

Its all in the prep, tho with some colours going off the code will NEVER result in a match due to age, fading etc. Old school is to colour cut the rest of the car or panel after a couple of weeks for the repair to harden.

I can't seem to find the paint with my code. I can't find anything relating to HC from Ford. 

It's a 62 plate fiesta says frozen white when I enter the VIN. 

I take it sanding down the parts and spraying is still an option? 

IMG_20221110_195258.thumb.jpg.eaad1e4eeba95262a7ac8e03afae2d47.jpg

sanding and painting is always an option, if it were me i'd leave it till the new year let it fully harden the t-cut the panel if still not impressed, 1500 or 2000 grit and flash.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club