Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cambelt Change

Boulton

Anyone had their cambelt changed recently on a Mk3 1.0 Ecoboost. I understand its a wetbelt, and the cost is more than normal, but can anyone advise roughly what I should expect to pay, and is it worth trusting Ford to do the work themselves.

Many thanks

I got mine done by Ford (in Sweden). 

Expect to pay about £1,200. Yes it is worth entrusting it to a Ford dealer, they have the correct tools and training to do the job. It is a lot more complicated than a normal cam belt change. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, pcaouolte said:

Expect to pay about £1,200.

Presently it seems that Ford main dealers are feeling the squeeze and £1200 is the least they will charge, most seem to be quoting £1400

• Like 1

My friend works on the service desk at a main dealer and they've done a few now for £1400.

• Like 2

Always make sure that both wetbelts are replaced. Only the main wetbelt has a prescribed service interval. the 2nd wetbelt (between the crankshaft and the oil pump) does not have a prescribed service interval.

The original timing belt kit does not include the 2nd wetbelt. Being not included and not part of the timing belt service interval usually means that dropping the sump and replacing the 2nd wetbelt is additional work that usually requires a seperate order.

To be honest considering the ridiculous amount of labour and the expensive tools that are involved £1400 is actually not that bad if it includes the 2nd wetbelt.

• Like 4

jesus, thank you all.

Does anyone want to buy a Kidney?????

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Boulton said:

jesus, thank you all.

Does anyone want to buy a Kidney?????

Have you tried WeBuyAnyOrgan.com?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Have you tried WeBuyAnyOrgan.com?

Maybe I'll start an Onlyfans...... reckon I could make £1400 in about 9 months 😁

• Haha 3

A nearby ford dealer quoted me £1250 , although I was driving at the time of the call and didn't take much of it in re what was included. Yesterday I called another dealer who quoted £1500 and £1700 , again i'm not good at taking stuff down, but the £1500 he emphasised using genuine ford parts.

Personally with this kind of job i'd rather get it done by someone who knows what they're doing. My main concern would be spending this sort of money and something failing a few weeks later.

My 2013 1l will be due next year. It's done 60k miles so might last a bit longer. Bit of a gamble this one. I get the belt replaced and something goes wrong a week later, or I could continue with the existing belt for another 5 years

• Like 1

I would agree it would be prudent to replace the oil pump belt at the same time.

In comparison to the overall cost of the cambelt service the oil belt adds very little. Even a genuine Ford one is relatively cheap and no extra labour is required to fit it

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, mburdett555 said:

A nearby ford dealer quoted me £1250 , although I was driving at the time of the call and didn't take much of it in re what was included. Yesterday I called another dealer who quoted £1500 and £1700 , again i'm not good at taking stuff down, but the £1500 he emphasised using genuine ford parts.

Personally with this kind of job i'd rather get it done by someone who knows what they're doing. My main concern would be spending this sort of money and something failing a few weeks later.

My 2013 1l will be due next year. It's done 60k miles so might last a bit longer. Bit of a gamble this one. I get the belt replaced and something goes wrong a week later, or I could continue with the existing belt for another 5 years

These are my concerns also. Get it done then something goes wrong afterwards when the car has been fine til now. Mines a 2013 on 55k miles so will need doing between now and next year. 

58 minutes ago, RayC333 said:

I would agree it would be prudent to replace the oil pump belt at the same time.

In comparison to the overall cost of the cambelt service the oil belt adds very little. Even a genuine Ford one is relatively cheap and no extra labour is required to fit it

In addition to the main wetbelt change the oil pump wetbelt change requires the exhaust downpipe and sump to be removed cleaned and installed.

On a 10 Year old car this is an apoximately 3 to 4 Hour job considering the studs and bolts that will probably be seized. 

1 hour ago, JW1982 said:

In addition to the main wetbelt change the oil pump wetbelt change requires the exhaust downpipe and sump to be removed cleaned and installed.

On a 10 Year old car this is an apoximately 3 to 4 Hour job considering the studs and bolts that will probably be seized. 

Sorry, I had made the assumption that once the timing cover and old timing belt are removed it would be possible to slide the timing belt gear off the crank and disengage/replace the oil pump belt from its own crank gear.

When I replaced mine the sump and pump were already off so was easy.

Got my car booked in with Allen Ford in Swindon to get the work done. The girl on the desk advised that it was a ten hour job at £140p.a labour. So £1400 just for labour. I politely left and made contact with a friend who works there (I used to work there there to) and got discount on the job. So, now all in including parts, labour, and vat, its costing me £1090 and 3 days without the car. Thank god for staff discount.

• Like 5

For comparison purposes, is that £140 ph INC VAT or EXC VAT (i.e. £168)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alanfp said:

For comparison purposes, is that £140 ph INC VAT or EXC VAT (i.e. £168)

That's including vat. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Boulton said:

That's including vat. 

Bargain then! :wink:  Out of interest, does anyone know current labour rates for any other manufacturers?  Just interested to know where Ford's is comparatively.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Bargain then! :wink:  Out of interest, does anyone know current labour rates for any other manufacturers?  Just interested to know where Ford's is comparatively.

I work at Audi and they charge £155 plus vat 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Boulton said:

I work at Audi and they charge £155 plus vat 

Phew! Good job the Audi/VW Group triple doesn't have a wet belt requiring 10 hours labour to change then, or that would be £1,550 +vat = £1,860!😞

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Car dropped off this morning. Possibly gone for 3 days, but hopefully it will be ready tomorrow

• Like 3

All done, got the car back. Its got a new degas pipe as well, which is good. Still, £1k is now sat on the credit card!!!

• Like 3

On 9/14/2022 at 2:19 PM, Boulton said:

All done, got the car back. Its got a new degas pipe as well, which is good. Still, £1k is now sat on the credit card!!!

Be interested to see if the car still runs this time next week lol

I'll book mine in on my next full service and MOT i guess, get it all done at the same time 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, mburdett555 said:

Be interested to see if the car still runs this time next week lol

I'll book mine in on my next full service and MOT i guess, get it all done at the same time 

Well it is running fine now, it ***** better still be next week, and next year and in 10 years time..... 🤣

8 minutes ago, Boulton said:

Well it is running fine now, it ***** better still be next week, and next year and in 10 years time..... 🤣

Not 10 years time, it'll need another damn belt by then!! :laugh: 

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club