Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car has been thrashed?

stoolzo
聽Share

Hi, I just picked up a used ford and i've found that the syncro mesh has gone in 3rd gear, it still works fine but its just a bit chunk and noisy. It looks the seller is going to repair it but i'm concerned that a car with only 40k on (2019) with a gearbox fault may have been thrashed. The Car is a 2019 Ecosport 125hp STLINE, it also came with a towing bar which might be the cause of the gear issue if they've been towing heavy stuff.

I'm still within the 30 day cool off period so I can return it, the car has no other issues at all, would you reject it and look for another one, they other issue i've also part ex my car so i'll be left with no car for what could be weeks while find and buy another.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated I only have 2 days to decide though 馃槥

I doubt many Ecosport's are thrashed at all.聽 The gearboxes are known weak points though.聽 Towing seems a more likely reason for gearbox strain here.聽 Does the clutch feel ok?聽 Would they be replacing that along with the gearbox repair?

Given the current situation, you'd probably be better off keeping it, unless you can immediately spot a better replacement.

• Thanks 1

Hi, thanks very much for your reply, if towing issue the issue would you expect the other gears to be ok then, they all seem fine and I guess 3rd gear might get the most strain as people often drive around in 3rd gear when they are towing something suburbanly, my sister is dreadful for that.

Hi yeah, the clutch seems completely fine and no other issues with any other gears.

• Like 1

I decided to give them a chance and keep it, I have however advised I want it fixing this week and I want an extended warranty on the gear box itself, and all this in writing. I think that should cover my butt.

Thanks so much for your help 馃檪

• Like 1

The gearbox, clutch and clutch pedal on 1.0 MK4s are dogs**t.

Towing would've made it worse.

If you've bought the car on finance, reject it or make them fit a new gearbox

3 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

The gearbox, clutch and clutch pedal on 1.0 MK4s are dogs**t.

Towing would've made it worse.

If you've bought the car on finance, reject it or make them fit a new gearbox

There have only been two gens of Ecosport?

But the Mk2 ecosport which a 2019 would be, is based on the Mk7 fiesta with the old IB5 box, which was never designed for turbo charged engines, it is pretty weak, so as has been noted towing will have made that worse.

Just now, alexp999 said:

There have only been two gens of Ecosport?

But the Mk2 ecosport which a 2019 would be, is based on the Mk7 fiesta with the old IB5 box, which was never designed for turbo charged engines, it is pretty weak, so as has been noted towing will have made that worse.

Ah, my mistake, saw 2019 and presumed Focus 4.

Apologies, all versions of Ecosport have been dogs**t, not just the gearbox

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club