Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help with Ford Fiesta MK7 Oil Pressure Low Message

fordowner1738

Hello ladies and gents, I made this thread so that hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge than me could help identify the problem I am having with my Ford Fiesta. It is a 1.25 litre MK7 2011 plate.

Whilst driving it today, I received a message saying something along the lines of 'Engine oil Pressure Low, Stop Safely'. I was wondering that the problem could possibly be. I have checked my engine oil levels and there is enough oil as I put some in the other day. The engine has become very hot and I have white smoke coming out of the oil filler cap with a tyre-like burning smell. 

I have looked online and on Youtube and some videos suggest that the problem could be with the oil pressure sending unit/switch. I have tried to look for the location of this switch/unit under the hood but cant seem to find. My plan was to find it and replace and then see if that fixes it. If not, I would just take it to the mechanic.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with the Fiesta? Also does anyone know where exactly this switch/unit is as I cant seem to find it online anywhere.

Thank you for the help in advance!

..and did you Stop ?

Have you considered that the pressure sender may be correct and that you have no oil pressure ?

• Like 1

Yes I did stop. Sorry I am pretty much a novice when it comes to cars and the mechanics behind it. How does one go about checking the no oil pressure you have mentioned?

I would recommend contacting a garage and getting them to collect it. If you have little or no oil pressure then starting the engine will cause major damage.

Okay, my mechanic isn't too far from me so will take it to him tomorrow. Appreciate the help!

19 hours ago, unofix said:

I would recommend contacting a garage and getting them to collect it. If you have little or no oil pressure then starting the engine will cause major damage.

18 hours ago, fordowner1738 said:

Okay, my mechanic isn't too far from me so will take it to him tomorrow. Appreciate the help!

do what unofix recommended, get him to come and look at it before you start it!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, fordowner1738 said:

The engine has become very hot and I have white smoke coming out of the oil filler cap with a tyre-like burning smell. 

I'm afraid that sounds rather ominous 😞 Perhaps a classic wet cam belt degradation debris blocking the oil pump issue.

He said it’s a 1.25,  they are traditional dry belt.  I have had two cars that had no oil pressure.  Triumph TR7 - spring broke in pressure relief valve. Ford Granada 3.0 v6,  hexagonal oil pump drive shaft wore down to circular so it did not turn the pump. I do not now what these parts are like on that 1.25 engine.  On my brothers Audi TT low oil pressure was down to blocked oil filter ( the oil filter you change, not the strainer mesh)

13 hours ago, isetta said:

He said it’s a 1.25,  they are traditional dry belt.

My bad. I totally misread it, thinking it was a 125hp Ecoboost which I am currently primed to recognise 😞

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club