Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Noise after indicator turned on (it’s not any of the expected ones)

PDM

Ford Fiesta 1L Ecoboost 2017 bought recently and still under warranty. After turning on the indicator (right or left), there is sometimes a sharp click/crack, which is sometimes loud enough to make me jump (when I first heard it I thought a stone had hit the windscreen). It is not the normal indicator noise, and it doesn’t happen every time the indicator is used, it sometimes happens immediately the indicator is turned on, sometimes after 3-4 seconds. It’s not linked to turning the corner and is not the self-cancellation noise. I took the car into the Ford dealer where I bought it and they investigated for some time, then said:
“We believe that the noise from the indicator is a normal characteristic of the vehicle as other ford vehicles make a similar sound. There is a release catch in the indicator which could be releasing and causing the sound.”

When I asked why it is inconsistent, and why, if it’s a normal characteristic, it took them days to diagnose, they replied:

“We have compared a good number of other vehicles. The noise you are hearing is a characteristic of a vehicle with this type of switch gear fitted. The inconsistency of the noise can be due to steering wheel/cancellation pin position.”

They say because it is “normal” it would not be repaired, at least not under warranty. They could take it apart, at my cost, and replace the indicator setup but it’s likely the noise would still happen.

I am not completely convinced of these explanations. I would appreciate any further views.

Edited by PDM
To clarify the sound

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club