Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking for an app that'll turn Android screen black...

StephenFord

I often listen to the radio when out on my Android phone. To save battery consumption, I've been looking for an app that'll turn screen, 'black' as obviously I have no need for a screen just listening to the radio. I can't find a suitable app. One indeed looks perfect (Black Screen), but, disables any active app from working so is useless LOL Yes, I can turn brightness down to minimum, but not entirely what I want. Anyone know of an option?

You should be able to listen to music/radio apps with the screen off. That will save the most power. 
Just lock the phone while it’s playing. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Just lock the phone while it’s playing. 

Just tried that, turns the radio off LOL

EDIT

I tried just 'quickly' pressing power off button - it works! Brilliant solution, thank you...

15 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

You should be able to listen to music/radio apps with the screen off.

Except the YouTube app...which doesn't allow background play! :rolleyes: 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

That's what initially stumped me, I listen to TalkTV, so the 1st time I tried the power off button, I inadvertently was listening to it on YouTube rather than the radio app!.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

That’s Google’s choice to restrict it. It works if you have a YouTube premium subscription. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

That’s Google’s choice to restrict it. It works if you have a YouTube premium subscription. 

Of course, with Google owning YouTube, that's yet another revenue stream for them LOL

It's an odd choice though.  Doesn't make me want to pay for YouTube Premium, just means I use Spotify for free when on mobile instead.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

... I use Spotify for free when on mobile instead.  

I love people using 'free' options rather than expensive premium subscriptions. Must confess that Google scare me. Imagine waking up tomorrow, and they decide to charge a subscription so you can use their search engine. Or, introduce a subscription to use Gmail? In their T&Cs they can pretty much do what they want...

23 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I love people using 'free' options rather than expensive premium subscriptions. Must confess that Google scare me. Imagine waking up tomorrow, and they decide to charge a subscription so you can use their search engine. Or, introduce a subscription to use Gmail? In their T&Cs they can pretty much do what they want...

Google pretty much reserve the right to close your account if they can’t monetise you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Google pretty much reserve the right to close your account if they can’t monetise you.

I know - that scares me too... Just imagine the effect on the world right now if they started Gmail as a subscription service!

A few years ago, they did close an account on me, it was dormant for over 2 years, I couldn't log in, and on trying to restore it, was informed that due to inactivity it was closed...

A charge of 10 pence per e-mail would certainly cut down on the amount of pure spam I get 👍

22 minutes ago, unofix said:

A charge of 10 pence per e-mail would certainly cut down on the amount of pure spam I get 👍

Imagine if we got charged for posting on here!! :shock:

• Haha 1

I have a G-mail address but never use it for personal stuff.  Didn't realise it could be closed after a period of inactivity.  Looks like the occasional bit of spam is keeping it open! :laugh:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Imagine if we got charged for posting on here!! :shock:

Sshhh... now, we don't want to give folk ideas!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I have a G-mail address but never use it for personal stuff.  Didn't realise it could be closed after a period of inactivity.  Looks like the occasional bit of spam is keeping it open! :laugh:

It's really not the spam, but you should really 'login' even every 6 months ago to let them know you're still alive. Though, I just thought, if you're reading the spam, you are obviously logging in LOL

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

It's really not the spam, but you should really 'login' even every 6 months ago to let them know you're still alive. Though, I just thought, if you're reading the spam, you are obviously logging in LOL

Ah, not sure how it counts logging in.  It's linked to the Mail app on both laptop & phone so might 'log in' whenever connected to WiFi? 

It's also linked to my Xbox online account so maybe that keeps it open.  Getting an Xbox 360 in 2007 was the reason I needed a Gmail account.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alexp999 said:

I can believe that. A few  months ago my Google Backup stopped backing up and despite doing the obvious I could not get it to work again unless I signed up for a Google One account that has free storage as well as paid for but there was no option for the free storage only.

I just disabled it and did other backups but recently I tried it again and free backups works fine now. Maybe they had complaints, I don't know.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club