Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Door locking, but then immediately unlocking again

mrdford

Hi all,
When I lock from the driver side, I hear it lock, but then unlock again immediately.   It works fine from the passenger side though.   Unclipping the electronic connector inside the driver door makes it lock itself OK.  So that's my current temporary measure.  (Lock other doors from inside via pushing the passenger handle in, then locking drivers side with the key).

Any help to debugging this issue greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

The little microswitch inside the drivers side door lock is not working. Either the switch has broke or the wiring to the switch has broken. The central locking system is not able to detect that the drivers door is closed and so it unlocks the doors after you lock them.

On your model I'm not sure where the microswitch is located, but on most Ford models the switch is inside the door latch. You will have to take the door card off and have a look at the door latch and see if there is wires connected (normally two or possible three). Spraying lots and lots of WD40 inside the door latch sometimes fixes the problem.

• Like 2

Thanks, I'll have a look now when I remove the door card again this weekend.  Although, as a quick experiment, I tried locking from the passenger side with the passenger door open, and I get no sound of attenuators (ie. it doesn't do the lock/unlock thing).  So would that not be the same expected behaviour if the driver side switch was showing the door as open?  ie. it wouldn't make any sound at all?

From your description and video I would say the front passenger door lock MOTOR has failed.

my 2007 fiesta randomly does the same, on mine i know its the micro switch in the passenger door. spraying it with electrical cleaner sorted it for a while but its still intermittent. when it happens the "door open" light shows on the dash with ignition on, when that shows i lean over and open and close the door a few times until the light finally go's out then i get out and it will lock fine. been considering working out where the wires run and disabling it by giving it a perm open or perm closed circuit depending how it operates but its a minor thing so on hold while i sort more important things on the car 🙂

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club