Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost 2013 drr drr/rattle sound.

Pigeon12

https://youtube.com/shorts/bvRPJlEJErI?feature=share

You can hear it
with the windows closed in the cabin too. Im specifically on about that little drr drr rattly sound as you press the accelerator. The noise seems to get quiter and come and go sometimes but sometimes you can hear it constantly, espeacially at steady acceleration up a hill or something . Cant be heard while crusing or going fast.  I just bought the car a few days ago and its worrying me. I could mabye try and get a refund if its bad.  (2013, 62000 miles)

34 minutes ago, Pigeon12 said:

(2013, 62000 miles)

That does not sound good. It sounds like an engine that has or has had oil lubrication problems.

It may be related to the wet timing belt which will be due to be changed in less than 12 moths (current price is around £1400). What is the service history like ?

10 hours ago, unofix said:

That does not sound good. It sounds like an engine that has or has had oil lubrication problems.

It may be related to the wet timing belt which will be due to be changed in less than 12 moths (current price is around £1400). What is the service history like ?

service history was fine but I cant really speak for what type of oil was used.  I do want to see if I can get a refund under that 30 day consumer rights thing but they may argue that its normal cause its 3 cylinder which I have been getting a lot of. Or that its my fault. Its annoying cause when I test drove it, it wasnt making the noise but when I came to collect the car about half way home it started doing it. Some people say its normal or may be a loose heat shield or rattly turbo, so I thought id come here and ask as there may be people more knowledgable on these engines.

I do also have a 15 month warrenty for the gearbox and engine but I have no idea how well those warrenties hold out

4 hours ago, Pigeon12 said:

or rattly turbo,

possible. You need someone like @iantt to give you a professional opinion.

• Like 1

Hopefully they reply Im in panic mode 😂. It sounds like its coming more from the front of the engine than the back if that helps.

I certainly wouldn't be confident doing a long journey with that noise. 

Don't know if it might be a wee clue, rusty bolt heads on a newish looking clamp of sorts (not sure what that part is) and newish looking boltheads on the rusty looking part in centre of pic.... Noisy turbo? 

• Like 1

Could be anything or nothing depending on the noise. Is there a local garage that could listen to it and give an opinion? No point recording the noise and posting up on here as it never replicates well. 

• Like 2

Well ive been to independant garages who at first thought it was misfiring but then changed his mind after checking  then 1 other came out and said 3 cylinders sound like that but he did say the engine looked like it was shaking about more than usual. Someone else who is a mechancic said it seemed normal. But the fact is that I can hear this noise when accelerating quite clearly and with the window open I can hear the knocking sound echoing off walls and stuff. Sounds like a woodpecker having a rave lol. Sometimes it gets louder and quiter and I checked against videos of other ecooost fiestas and they dont sound like that so something must be causing it. I dont seem to be able to get a solid opinion and I dont rly want to go back to the dealer asking for a refund when even I am not confident on if something is actually wrong or not. Mabye I could try a ford dealer but I assume they might charge me just to listen to it lol. The sound seems distinct enough on the video although I suppose there may be very similar noises that could mean different things.

3 cylinder engines do have a distinctive thrum that sounds a little like a misfire.  I bought a 1.5EB a couple of years ago and immediately noticed it sounded like a 3 cylinder, when I thought it was four.  Rookie error lol...

Perhaps you could get a test drive in an identical one to compare?  Obviously you'll have to feign interest in purchase...but then if this one is knackered you might be after another anyway!

25 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

3 cylinder engines do have a distinctive thrum that sounds a little like a misfire.  I bought a 1.5EB a couple of years ago and immediately noticed it sounded like a 3 cylinder, when I thought it was four.  Rookie error lol...

Perhaps you could get a test drive in an identical one to compare?  Obviously you'll have to feign interest in purchase...but then if this one is knackered you might be after another anyway!

I could but I have already watched videos of them driving and the noise is such a distinct loud (enough) knocking sound that I feel like I would have picked it up. Its not the normal ticking sound that you can hear at idle. 

Actually I think its the same as this but even the comments on the video dont seem to be able to settle on anything lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2022 at 4:56 PM, iantt said:

Could be anything or nothing depending on the noise. Is there a local garage that could listen to it and give an opinion? No point recording the noise and posting up on here as it never replicates well. 

I still dont know what it is but the dealer I bought it from took it to ford and are fitting a reconditioned engine and the dealer is paying for it with 12 months ford guarentee. Do you think this is a good idea to take or should I try and refund the car still. Im assuming reconditioned engine would also mean fresh cambelt?

On 9/10/2022 at 11:44 PM, unofix said:

So I guess Ford have come to the same conclusion.

If it is a Ford garage that is supplying and fitting the replacement engine it will almost certainly be a brand new engine with all your ancillary parts like alternator etc. transferred over. They will class it as reconditioned so that the warranty will be 12 months. 

• Like 2

On 9/20/2022 at 1:57 PM, unofix said:

So I guess Ford have come to the same conclusion.

If it is a Ford garage that is supplying and fitting the replacement engine it will almost certainly be a brand new engine with all your ancillary parts like alternator etc. transferred over. They will class it as reconditioned so that the warranty will be 12 months. 

Ford are supplying it but not fitting it, so I hope the fitter doesnt just take the old belts from the old engine and put it on the new one then shove ***** oil in it lol

13 minutes ago, Pigeon12 said:

just take the old belts from the old engine and put it on the new one

There's not a chance he would do that. It would take far more man hours to recover the used belts than what they are worth. Besides the replacement engine will come factory assembled with the belts already installed.

• Like 1

O

4 minutes ago, unofix said:

There's not a chance he would do that. It would take far more man hours to recover the used belts than what they are worth. Besides the replacement engine will come factory assembled with the belts already installed.

Ohh ok thanks thats eased my mind, as you can probobly tell I am not a mechanic and while I like cars, I am still learning a lot lol

• 9 months later...

If anyone is till searching what that rattly noise is when you press accelerator pedal. It is coming from your turbo. The valve on exhaust side, inside the turbo has come loose and is making that rattly noise, it is flapping inside there.

20230713_190404.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club