Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2009 ford focus TDCI fuel system fault

Jcwutang92

Hi everyone please see attached video it explains everything with what's going on with my car. 

Thanks 

• Like 1

Have any of the diagnostics you used been Ford specific?  Either a Ford dealer tool or Forscan?

The engine malfunction codes are almost always Ford specific as generic OBD2 codes would trigger the EML.

It does seem like a fuel pressure fault, and I'd perhaps suggests the fuel pressure regulator rather than the rail pressure sensor, but really would recommend getting Forscan on it if not done already.

• Like 1

Use Forscan to read codes

Possibly boost issues

Split/loose hoses, damaged intercooler or turbo actuator or the turbo itself

• Like 1

Thanks guys and no not one tool was ford specific suppose that would have been a better start to do that lol 

I have checked all boost hoses etc all good except the hose that joins into the compressor side of the turbo I can pull it off with out loosening the jubblie clip there's oil sitting on the bottom of the turbo compressor I can attach pictures if you want. There's also oil in the breather rocker cover and in the pipe which has the MAP sensor. So maybe a new turbo is on the cards. 

Really appreciate the replies guys thanks so much this has been going on for a year. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jcwutang92 said:

there's oil sitting on the bottom of the turbo compressor I can attach pictures if you want. There's also oil in the breather rocker cover and in the pipe which has the MAP sensor. So maybe a new turbo is on the cards.

These engines do spit out a lot of oil from the Crankcase Breather and this is likely what you are seeing in the Turbo and Hoses. There is not much that you can do about it.

For a small one-off investment, FORScan is worth its weight in gold if you own a Ford car,

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Tizer said:

These engines do spit out a lot of Oil from the Crankcase Breather and this is likely what you are seeing in the Turbo and Hoses. There is not much that you can do about it.

For a small one-off investment, FORScan is worth its weight in gold if you own a Ford car,

Yeah I think maybe get someone to plug it in and if I can't find anyone just goto ford and see what the story is 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

would recommend getting Forscan on it if not done already.

7 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

Use Forscan to read codes

3 hours ago, Tizer said:

FORScan is worth its weight in gold if you own a Ford car,

As the old saying goes "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink"

• Like 1

So guys got the car tested and it's coming up 

P0087 

And 

P2290 

• Like 1

So it seems that the fuel rail pressure is low. Try replacing the sensor.

• Like 1

I think it's a physical fault myself.  Pressure isn't being maintained in the rail at low RPM.  

Could mean that there's not enough pressure being produced in the first place, or that there's too much leaking off.

Cheapest & easiest test would be injector leak off to make sure that's not excessive.  Then I'd probably replace the regulator rather than the rail sensor.

• Like 1

On my 1.6tdci when it had error code for low fuel pressure it was cured by replacing the fuel filter. 

• Like 1

The guy reckons the car has dirt in the fuel tank and it's clogging up the filter which probably why after 2 filter changes it's still the same.

So the dirt is getting caught in the filter and the fuel can't get through because it's blocked with the dirt. 

So he said he is going to bypass the fuel filter and see if it flags up and take it from there.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Ummhh….  Well if it is thought there is dirt in the pipes or tank then I wouldn’t just bypass the filter because if the dirt gets as far as the injectors then that’s the injectors ruined. If the filter is by passed and using perfectly clean fuel in a perfectly clean auxiliary fuel tank then that might be a good idea to test it.  But was it ok for a while after the filter was changed each time? 

• Like 2

On 9/21/2022 at 10:35 PM, isetta said:

Ummhh….  Well if it is thought there is dirt in the pipes or tank then I wouldn’t just bypass the filter because if the dirt gets as far as the injectors then that’s the injectors ruined. If the filter is by passed and using perfectly clean fuel in a perfectly clean auxiliary fuel tank then that might be a good idea to test it.  But was it ok for a while after the filter was changed each time? 

So what he said he is going to do is run the car from a drum of clean diesel. It ran a wee bit better but for like say cold to optimal temperature which isn't long once it warmed up from cold it started to do it 

• Like 1

So the guy has bypassed the fuel filter and said the car never stalled once and is working fine so he is going to get a ford genuine filter and see how that goes. 

One thing I will say is that I changed the filter twice in 2 months both were UFI filters maybe they were faulty but that seems like it would be unlucky to have two faulty filters. 

• Like 1

So guys update. 

It seems to be fixed it was a fuel filter.

The UFI filter I had was a fake one it was made in china I now have a Ford Genuine filter and it's going great again. 

Now to solve the turbo underboost problem 😂.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jcwutang92 said:

The UFI filter I had was a fake one it was made in china

UFI filters are manufactured in China...

9 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

UFI filters are manufactured in China...

Oh really I thought they were made in Germany or something. But yeah I got two UFI filters from a local car parts shop and they both were faulty apparently. He put the new ford filter on and it's fixed it so I don't know. Would I be possible that the car parts shop is getting cheap copies?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jcwutang92 said:

Oh really I thought they were made in Germany or something. But yeah I got two UFI filters from a local car parts shop and they both were faulty apparently. He put the new ford filter on and it's fixed it so I don't know. Would I be possible that the car parts shop is getting cheap copies?

Tbh diesel fuel filters are something that I've always bought genuine.  Have heard of quite a few issues with aftermarket ones over the years.  There's much less tolerance on those than something like an air filter.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Tbh diesel fuel filters are something that I've always bought genuine.  Have heard of quite a few issues with aftermarket ones over the years.  There's much less tolerance on those than something like an air filter.

But isn't UFI filter genuine?

2 hours ago, Jcwutang92 said:

But isn't UFI filter genuine?

Only If it's stamped 'Ford' or 'FoMoCo'.  Ford don't make filters, they licence someone else to do it, but that doesn't mean the non-stamped filters sold by the same manufacturer are built to the same spec.  Chances are they cut corners for aftermarket products to make a bigger profit margin.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2022 at 10:06 AM, TomsFocus said:

Only If it's stamped 'Ford' or 'FoMoCo'.  Ford don't make filters, they licence someone else to do it, but that doesn't mean the non-stamped filters sold by the same manufacturer are built to the same spec.  Chances are they cut corners for aftermarket products to make a bigger profit margin.

I understand now yes.

Thank you

• Like 1

Update the problem is back it's hesitating and stalling again 😴

• Like 1

Worth investing in forscan will save you money in the long run. Also would be tempted to have a leak off test done on injectors. Mechanic’s theory of dirt in tank looking likely.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club