Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which mondeo to buy?

Mondeo fan

If there was a mondeo year 2016-2017 with the following, which would it be?

•1.5tdci
•reversing sensors

•LED lights
•non leather seats

•Smooth ride i.e suspension or smaller alloys

•Manual

•£0-£30 tax

Sensible options? Maximum mileage you would buy? Estate, Hatchback or Saloon. 

Thanks for looking

Led lights will come with leather seats too. Smaller alloys do give smooth ride. 

Saloon only comes in hybrid petrol. 

I've got a 2016  Mondeo 2.0 tdci Titanium X econetic manual   in ruby red. Comes with 16in  Wheels, led lights, front and rear parking sensors £20 tax. Hatchback. Just as usefull size boot area as estate nearly. Bought at 78k , now at 111k . Sounds like an advert.  Best part of the car is this. 🤣🤣🤣

IMG_20220912_165002915.jpg

Thanks for the advice. I’ve had 2.0tdci with the mark 2 and 3. I was trying to get lower insurance with the 1.5, but could go for the 2.0 especially with £30 tax. Yours sounds pretty close to what I’m looking for. 👍

I’ve noticed second hand mondeo prices are quite strong just now. Noticed that?

yeah, nice cluster. Come with just the titanium x?

I would personally go for the 2.0 tdci. Good useable power. Mine be is mapped too so pulls well in any gear. . 

With the x pack you get dynamic led lights, ( turns on corners and beam pattern changes depending on roads your on , and auto high beam) leather heated electric operated memory  seats , and probably other stuff I don't take notice of. Oh and got colour changing ambient lighting. Got about 6 different colours you choose on the sync screen. 

• Like 1

I am looking at at selling mine but not for a couple of months though. 

Ok I’ll have a look at the titanium x. Car sale sites only show titanium. The titanium x seems to stop at 2015? Maybe that’s just availability…

ok, maybe titanium x and a titanium with the x pack are different things?…

I suspect second hand car prices will drop early next year as life is getting expensive just now

1 minute ago, Mondeo fan said:

Ok I’ll have a look at the titanium x. Car sale sites only show titanium. The titanium x seems to stop at 2015? Maybe that’s just availability…

X pack is just an add on at the factory. You will see which have them  by the led lights. Etc. As for prices dropping, there's no sign of that for quite a while as there's still a  shortage of good used cars and new one coming  to the market. 

Expect to pay from £6500-7500 for a decent Mondeo around that age with a few miles on. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info. I’ll take a look at the x pack. Yeah I bought my mondeos for under £3k before and theyd run for years. Now you can’t get anything for under 6-7k

ill go and have a look. Thanks again 👍

I have a 1.5tdci Titanium with the X pack. As others have said you won't get one without leather seats if you want all the other extras as leather is part of the X pack. The leather seats are very comfy though and the LED headlights are definitely worth it. 

In terms of power the 1.5tdci isn't exactly quick but it pulls ok and is cheaper than the 2.0. I don't have any issues with the power delivery when driving up some steep hills at motorway speeds, but if you need to tow something then you'll need the 2.0.

The 1.5tdci is fitted with sports suspension as standard with 16" wheels. This is to lower the car to improve emissions. Driving over the Everest-scale speedhumps that the local council has fitted on my road requires care and very low speeds, but in terms of comfort it's still the most comfortable car I've driven. 

Be aware that April 2017 was a tax changeover date. Cars first registered after that date will be paying £155 in tax as it isn't tied to the CO2 emissions. 

• Like 1

Hi Erictcleric.

Thanks for the info. It sounds like I’m on the right track with a low tax, efficient comfortable mondeo.

What would be the max mileage car you would buy assuming it’s well maintained. I’d like to keep it for at least 4 years.

Thanks again guys for taking the time to explain everything. Much appreciated! 

The sports suspension with 16in wheels does sound like a Odd combo but it works well. Suspension isn't that hard at all. Mine is the same combo. 

If you find a car are unsure of the spec , just pm me and I can check. 

Screenshot_20220918-133716.png

• Like 1

Hi Iantt.

Ok. I previously did think that sports suspension wasn’t for me as comfort is a priority, but I’ll take into account what you guys have said.

I’m checking cars on A trader at the moment and may take you up on your offer.

Thanks

There should be plenty of relatively low mileage examples about. If it's well maintained then mileage isn't really a problem, although on all cars the suspension will start to get a bit tired. Personally I tend to look for under 50k if I'm keeping it a while, but others may have different opinions. 

Look out for ones with a reverse camera. Not sure if it was standard on Titanium, but it's certainly handy. 

Also a handy tip when looking at 2016/2017 cars. If it is a high spec car (excluding Vignale) and has round fog lights, then it is very likely to have LED highlights. If the fog lights are more sculpted to fit the bumper cutouts then it has standard halogens. 

All Vignale spec have LED headlights. 

• Like 1

Thanks. I’ve always gone for around 5 years old with under 70,000 miles. The mondeo’s would work for around 4-5 years up to about 130,000 miles and then have expensive issues. Dual mass flywheel, limp mode engine issues where they were no longer viable. 

I’ll keep any eye out for the round lights…

I have noticed that as they are relatively big cars. Reversing aids/camera are very useful.

My mondy , front and rear sensors and a £6.50 camera for reversing installed if your worried about reversing the big car. 

16635102121354263864597988227403.jpg

16635103852203795183535664914994.jpg

16635104202556534405022342153863.jpg

• Like 1

To be fair the suspension holds up well to high miles. Around 150k before you will need any arms then it's just one of the rears that wears. If you want to know all about the Mk5 Mondeo and what to look out for I would recommend you tuber Allan howatt. He maintains a fleet of mk 5 taxis and you can imagine the abuse they get. But very little major trouble. 

• Like 2

I think I’ve seen his channel. Does in depth on issues with the cars…

How much for sensors and camera in total if done by garage do you think?

14 minutes ago, Mondeo fan said:

How much for sensors and camera in total if done by garage do you think?

No idea, Titanium comes with rears at least I think if not fronts as well. Rear camera can be done DIY with a bit of time and a soldering iron. Join the mk 5 Mondeo owners Facebook group. Plenty on there have done it with a how to do it file with photos. I did mine after reading about it. 

• Like 2

On 9/17/2022 at 10:10 PM, Mondeo fan said:

Thanks for the advice. I’ve had 2.0tdci with the mark 2 and 3. I was trying to get lower insurance with the 1.5, but could go for the 2.0 especially with £30 tax. Yours sounds pretty close to what I’m looking for. 👍

I’ve noticed second hand mondeo prices are quite strong just now. Noticed that?

yeah, nice cluster. Come with just the titanium x?

Hi.

If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

• 11 months later...
On 8/30/2023 at 12:53 PM, Murkus said:

They are all bad

Are you high, or just trolling?

https://www.youtube.com/@alan4x Maintains an entire fleet of MK5 Mondeos, that get used as taxis, so basically get hammered 24 hours a day, and barely any significant problems reported.

Certainly no catastrophic issues that have proven common and some of the MK5s have done 250K miles or more!

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club