Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Timing belt problem?

mariustpz

Hello,

Yesterday i made the oil & filters change to my car, a Focus Mk3 1.5 Tdci
I checked the timing belt to see the condition, it has 64.000km since i changed the whole timing belt & water pump etc.
The problem is that it seems weak and it flutters when i rev the engine.
The service that changed it told me is normal and works fine, but i don't know.

Video when i rev the engine: fmm ford
Video when stopped and seems tight: fmm ford 2

What do you guys think? Needs replacement or not?

Thank you all!

I don’t know the answer but I wonder if the tensioner is tensioned correctly.  When I did a belt on a 1.6tdci I found it very difficult to get it right as it was hard to stop the tensioner turning as I did up the locknut

• Like 1

Well i can honestly say with all of the timing belts ive changed ive never reved an engine with the covers off, but...

I wouldn't expect an auxiliary belt to do this when revving unless the tensioner was knackered or the belt was slack.

• Like 1

Tried this to other engines and the belt is doing the same thing. Also i checked a WV and in certain position the belt seems weak also.

I don't know what to think, is the first time i rev the engine with the covers off also.

I changed it today because it looks bad, the service made a terrible job and they did not tighten the tensioner, it was weak and also they added silicone on the water pump and it was leaking. (in 64k km went from max to min)
The problem is that the new tensioner (Dayco) was also bad and when i put the keyw to tighten it, it broke, so i used the old tensioner that is from Litens.
Is there any problem i used the old tensioner? Since it has only 64.000 km?

Well you just said the old tensioner was weak and the fact that your old belt was loose i wouldn't.

• Like 1

Was weak because wasn't tensioned not because is faulty. The guy at the service didn't tensioned the belt. 

The arrow should be at the middle, and i found it like this. 

2.jpeg

14 hours ago, mariustpz said:

Was weak because wasn't tensioned not because is faulty. The guy at the service didn't tensioned the belt. 

The arrow should be at the middle, and i found it like this. 

The arrow moves as it's an 'active' tensioner, it doesn't stay in the same place.  It confused me too first time.

Correct, the tension arrow should be correct when timing pins/marks aligned, this goes for all engines

I agree, arrow is only in the correct position at a particular point in the rotation. I once ended up reusing the old one as on the new one, the plate where you put Allen key in the hold it in position whilst doing nut up tight was so crappy that the hex rounded so I couldn’t hold the position with the Allen key. The old one seemed fine (no bearing noise or play) but of course it might wear out before the belt next needs doing. It could not really be recommended

7 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The arrow moves as it's an 'active' tensioner, it doesn't stay in the same place.  It confused me too first time.

Active when the engine is running, but mine was weak with the engine off. As you may see in the video.

4 hours ago, Ecosport2019 said:

Correct, the tension arrow should be correct when timing pins/marks aligned, this goes for all engines

Yes, i found it incorrect, weak. I aligned the new belt and i I tightened the tensioned in the correct position

59 minutes ago, isetta said:

I agree, arrow is only in the correct position at a particular point in the rotation. I once ended up reusing the old one as on the new one, the plate where you put Allen key in the hold it in position whilst doing nut up tight was so crappy that the hex rounded so I couldn’t hold the position with the Allen key. The old one seemed fine (no bearing noise or play) but of course it might wear out before the belt next needs doing. It could not really be recommended

Mine just broke, look, this is the new one.

The old one didn't had any noise or play also, i think it should last at least 40.000 km, considering it has 64.000.

4.jpeg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club