Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hill Start Assist, Traction Control, Emergency Assistance not working

DylanOR

This problem started today after I attempted to wire my dash cam. I have had the same dash cam in three previous cars (all VAG cars).

When I followed a video online to hardwire my dash cam in my 2018 titanium focus, I tried to connect it with a fuse tap to fuse 85 (air con, passenger airbag) and it worked until I put back the side panel and closed the glove box and then I tried the dash cam again and this is when I got all notifications about emergency assistance, and hill start assist not working. 

I have tried with a multi meter and there is no power coming through on all the right side fuses whether the car is off or on however all other fuses seem fine. So far I have noticed air con, hill start assist, traction control and emergency assistance not working anymore. 

Just wondering if anyone knows where I could check if the power wires for that part of the fuse board are good or not. Any help is appreciated thanks.

16 minutes ago, DylanOR said:

This problem started today after I attempted to wire my dash cam. I have had the same dash cam in three previous cars (all VAG cars).

When I followed a video online to hardwire my dash cam in my 2018 titanium focus, I tried to connect it with a fuse tap to fuse 85 (air con, passenger airbag) and it worked until I put back the side panel and closed the glove box and then I tried the dash cam again and this is when I got all notifications about emergency assistance, and hill start assist not working. 

I have tried with a multi meter and there is no power coming through on all the right side fuses whether the car is off or on however all other fuses seem fine. So far I have noticed air con, hill start assist, traction control and emergency assistance not working anymore. 

Just wondering if anyone knows where I could check if the power wires for that part of the fuse board are good or not. Any help is appreciated thanks.

Does the dash cam work, is that powering up ok or not or is that fed from the right side of the fuse box?

20 minutes ago, tomo2001 said:

Does the dash cam work, is that powering up ok or not or is that fed from the right side of the fuse box?

It worked when I fuse tapped from the air con fuse but when I closed the glove box it must have tripped the fuse so it stopped working after that. This is also when the rest of the issues started.

DON'T PANIC !!!

First a quick question is your 2018 Focus a MK3.5 or a MK4 ?

Now to fix the problems. Your battery State Of Charge is now low since you have been working on the car. The SOC is now most probably below 70% and could even be lower.

The Body Control Module has turned off all none essential equipment in order to conserve battery power. You need to put the battery on charge overnight, and then take it for a short drive tomorrow (after you have charged the battery). After about 10 to 15 minutes normal service will be restored.

SOC.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, unofix said:

DON'T PANIC !!!

First a quick question is your 2018 Focus a MK3.5 or a MK4 ?

Now to fix the problems. Your battery State Of Charge is now low since you have been working on the car. The SOC is now most probably below 70% and could even be lower.

The Body Control Module has turned off all none essential equipment in order to conserve battery power. You need to put the battery on charge overnight, and then take it for a short drive tomorrow (after you have charged the battery). After about 10 to 15 minutes normal service will be restored.

SOC.JPG

Thanks Ill try that tomorrow, however the car is starting and it says “hill start assist not available”, shows the light for no traction control and says “emergency assistance is unavailable, contact your dealer for a service” and this all happened after the fuse tap. I have had the car like that for much longer before and it never happened so I am unsure if this is the issue however I will definitely try this tomorrow. 
My car is a mk3.5 focus 

Update: After going for a drive in the car, there was a new light to add to the collection when I started it, the airbag light. I drove it around for 20 minutes and there was no difference so I don’t think its the battery

Any other solutions?

So you didn't charge the battery. Then it is of little surprise the problems are continuing. I accept that it may possibly not be the battery State Of Charge is low, but without charging it for 12 hours you won't be able to cross that off the list of possibilities.

10 hours ago, unofix said:

So you didn't charge the battery. Then it is of little surprise the problems are continuing. I accept that it may possibly not be the battery State Of Charge is low, but without charging it for 12 hours you won't be able to cross that off the list of possibilities.

I left it on charge overnight and drove it to work (about 30 minutes of motorway driving) but unfortunately to no avail.

I wonder would these have to be reset by a machine after being ”fixed” or would they go away by themself? If so it could be solved however more lights keep showing up so I am hesitant on thinking its fixed. I checked with a multi meter and all the fuses on the right row, and some in the middle row of the passenger compartment fuse box are still giving no power whilst the left side is.

Its Fuse F86, F87 are not getting power currently however I only used F86 when I was fuse tapping.

Any other suggestions?

Check the security of all the multiplug connectors into the fusebox. It sounds like something has worked loose when the glovebox was replaced.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, erictcleric said:

Check the security of all the multiplug connectors into the fusebox.

Yes that would be a good thing to check next. 👍

It could well be the connections to the Body Control Module have become disturbed and a connector is not fully seated.

On 1/3/2023 at 8:46 AM, erictcleric said:

Check the security of all the multiplug connectors into the fusebox. It sounds like something has worked loose when the glovebox was replaced.

On 1/3/2023 at 11:13 AM, unofix said:

Yes that would be a good thing to check next. 👍

It could well be the connections to the Body Control Module have become disturbed and a connector is not fully seated.

I just tried these connectors by disconnecting each and connecting them back but unfortunately they are still not working. I also checked every fuse and they were all fine however some aren’t getting power even with ignition on.
The current list of things not working is as follows:

Hill start

Traction control (light)

Rear wipers

Aircon

Emergency assist

Airbag light

Hopefully someone knows the correlation between these or ways of testing which part is probably fried. I am presuming the issues it could be is a fried fusebox, fried ecu or some sort of module fried. Am I wrong with any of these or could it be something else?

• Sad 1

All of the things that are not working are controlled by the Body Control Module (BCM). I'm not at home just now but will look at the schematics of your car later tonight. 

8 minutes ago, unofix said:

All of the things that are not working are controlled by the Body Control Module (BCM). I'm not at home just now but will look at the schematics of your car later tonight. 

Thanks 

Check these fuses:

Engine Compartment  fusebox, fuse 15 (25 Amp), fuse 26 (10 Amp)

Also

Engine Compartment High Current fusebox fuse MEGA F4 (50 Amp) and MEGA F9 (50 Amp)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, unofix said:

Check these fuses:

Engine Compartment  fusebox, fuse 15 (25 Amp), fuse 26 (10 Amp)

Also

Engine Compartment High Current fusebox fuse MEGA F4 (50 Amp) and MEGA F9 (50 Amp)

I checked these fuses however some of them are not in my car and some are different amps. I checked every fuse in the engine compartment and none are blown.

I have attached a picture of my fuse box to show which fuses I have and what amps they are.85A29950-4AFF-4A3A-AB06-A6F3D4A3C41D.thumb.jpeg.646f097acdf8a8f045c5f637f4a7f065.jpeg1D42C2EF-F9C2-492C-95C9-AB21BE76B761.thumb.jpeg.f6380f7e955ecb016f1cc9011bf9c8c1.jpeg6590AD42-E9CB-4DC1-BDA6-3514649C323C.thumb.jpeg.6d5c6b57eabd8210886e6abe11c1d092.jpeg54569836-C7F0-45A8-9392-13F548EE7485.thumb.jpeg.b1a031f2cd43b96810a5b692fb393ef0.jpeg

What about the 2 fuses in the High Current fusebox, MEGA 4 and MEGA 9 ?

50 minutes ago, unofix said:

What about the 2 fuses in the High Current fusebox, MEGA 4 and MEGA 9 ?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but where/ what are they?

It's possible that you have a different type of fuesbox. Check the underside of your main engine compartment fusebox.

Schematic.JPG

HC Fuses.JPG

32 minutes ago, unofix said:

It's possible that you have a different type of fuesbox. Check the underside of your main engine compartment fusebox.

Schematic.JPG

HC Fuses.JPG

Is there any video or guide that shows how to check this? I can’t seem to find anything except for someone saying the mega fuses are beside the positive terminal but I couldnt find that either. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, unofix said:

Ill have a look tomorrow however I feel like I might end up doing serious damage to either myself or the car if I even came close to that so I might stay away from it 😂

Ford said my car is under warranty still so I might try to see if they will have a look at that part and if they could do it.

Thanks so much for your help @unofix

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club