Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Random stalls (shut down on highway)

alexr12

24 minutes ago, alexr12 said:

4770fc8e-b19e-4a9b-a09c-ab3de7eedffd.jpeg

06032e52-cc45-48c3-84e6-e69153f4b4b2.jpeg

Looking at those faults, I'm still fairly sure it's the EGR valve (or wiring to it) causing the non-start.

So i got the car to a garage and at the moment they're telling me that it's most probably the high pressure fuel pump. However, i am not sure if my car even has a high pressure pump, i thought it's just using the compression from the engine to pull fuel to the injectors? Reminder it's 1.6 tdci by the way. I was thinking that maybe the no-start could be correlated to the coolant leak, somehow triggering a fail safe? I know someone who's car was doing the same thing when air got into the water pump.

Anyway my only concern is that the garage that i got to is trying to upsell me something that doesn't exist. We'll see what the final decision is and I will update this thread with what the actual problem was.

2 minutes ago, alexr12 said:

So i got a car to garage and at the moment they're telling me that it's most probably the high pressure fuel pump. However, i am not sure if my car even has a high pressure pump, i thought it's just using the compression from the engine to pull fuel to the injectors? Reminder it's 1.6 tdci by the way.

It does have a high pressure pump driven by the timing belt.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, so to not leave the topic in a cliffhanger like most of them here, today I’ve finally got my car back from the mechanic. They indeed changed the fuel high pressure pump and the fuel filter (which had a broken intake pipe somehow, but I think the guys at the shop broke it) and installed a manual hand pump to prime the vehicle whenever needed. It seems that the car started. However I have noticed some significant oil drips underneath the vehicle, a strong fuel odour lingering through the cabin and, surprise surprise, after some time driving, 30 minutes or so, it stopped pulling and rolled down the road in gear.

Same story, checked the liquids, everything was fine including the oil(I’ve let it sit to make sure the reading was accurate) and after a few minutes started back the car no problem and reached my destination. It is currently dripping oil in my garage I think. I want to visit another mechanic but I am afraid it will stop again and not start back up. For the time being I just hope that this was a one time thing and that air just got into the injection when they messed around with the pump, however all hopes aside, this seems to just be the same problem coming back. 1st day.

4 minutes ago, alexr12 said:

It is currently dripping oil in my garage

Is it oil or is it diesel ?

13 minutes ago, unofix said:

Is it oil or is it diesel ?

I’ve done a smell test and it is indeed oil

• Like 1

16 hours ago, alexr12 said:

Same story, checked the liquids, everything was fine including the oil(I’ve let it sit to make sure the reading was accurate) and after a few minutes started back the car no problem and reached my destination. It is currently dripping oil in my garage I think. I want to visit another mechanic but I am afraid it will stop again and not start back up. For the time being I just hope that this was a one time thing and that air just got into the injection when they messed around with the pump, however all hopes aside, this seems to just be the same problem coming back. 1st day.

Have you scanned it for fault codes again since the garage 'fixed' it?

If you can get some pictures of the oil leak that may help us work out where it's coming from.

(PS - I note your location as Suffolk...feel free to let me know the garage to avoid!! :laugh: )

I have not scanned it, I will have my little OBD reader plugged in again, the shop did start the car though I guess.

I was thinking just maybe, if the fuel pump was really at issue here and it is lubricated by the oil in the engine, it might just fail due to improper lubrication, because of the leaks.

I’ve looked on the old pump and there is a little screw strut that seems to be going somewhere inside the pump, maybe that is used to get lubricant to the moving parts of the pump? That’s of course if the pump is not solely relying on hydrodynamic lubrication when fuel flows through it. I will come back tomorrow with some images.

9 hours ago, alexr12 said:

I have not scanned it, I will have my little OBD reader plugged in again, the shop did start the car though I guess.

I was thinking just maybe, if the fuel pump was really at issue here and it is lubricated by the oil in the engine, it might just fail due to improper lubrication, because of the leaks.

I’ve looked on the old pump and there is a little screw strut that seems to be going somewhere inside the pump, maybe that is used to get lubricant to the moving parts of the pump? That’s of course if the pump is not solely relying on hydrodynamic lubrication when fuel flows through it. I will come back tomorrow with some images.

The fuel pump is not lubricated by engine oil.  Relies purely on diesel running through it.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club