Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ELM327

fullwavebridge

Need to see whats going on with car - EAC fail has reappeared (again), but it's quite smokey.

2005 1.4tdci fusion plus

I replaced glow plugs recently, as well as injector seals, leak off etc....chuffing sorted -  ran fine for 6 weeks (it was a bit smokey before this work and still smokey after) but fuel economy increased dramatically as well as pulling performance as expected.

I have intermittently strong smell of exhaust fumes in the car (i had this previously, just now and again), EAC fail appears on dash, binicle flashing, drastic loss of power.

I have a cheapo obd scanner which as expected shows no fault codes, and isn't much use.

Need to step up to the ELM327 / forscan, looked through previous posts, tunnelrat has a module for £22 with the modified ftdi serial interface but see i can get this half price on eBay.... are they all the same ???

Was going to weigh the car in last month, but put too much into it over the last couple of years to warrant £150 from the scrapman.

Got 3 weeks off work, so waiting for the rain to stop before i get the tools out.

2 hours ago, fullwavebridge said:

Need to step up to the ELM327

Although an ELM327(modified) lead from tunnelrat electronics will work fine for your 2005 model, they are not recommended for vehicles 2013 onwards.

For only slightly more than the lead from tunnelrat electronics you can buy a vLinker FS cable which will both work with your car and any future Ford model that you might own. One big advantage you will find with the vLinker FS cbale is that it automatically switches between the High Speed and the Medium Speed Ford canbus systems.

vLinker FS cable: https://www.amazon.co.uk/JUTA-VLINKER-FS-Adapter-Diagnostic/dp/B0BB5SDNZ2/ref=sr_1_6?crid=T2K85Q64QX00&keywords=vlinker+fs&qid=1698922238&sprefix=vli%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-6

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info, ordered one and will try to get to the bottom of this madness.

(i dont "intend" to own another Ford)😄

• Haha 1

Managed to get around to installing forscan, setting up vlinker adapter.

Don't really know my way around this software yet unlike my vaux opcom...

Anyway, this is the result, i saved the logs...

The car now stinks of carbon monoxide when stood idling, when driving it smokes more than expected, if i give it a good blast idling i get a lot of black smoke, and i mean a lot !

Have a serious leak somewhere around egr / inlet ? it was there slightly before i sorted leaky injector seals and glowplugs but now is quite severe in comparison

When i did top end to gain access to injectors, and reassembled - i dont think inlet has seated correctly so need to strip down and check all, but i think the egr may be clogged, faulty or dead.

I did replace Maf sensor a couple of years ago with a good quality branded new unit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(OK) [20:34:03.080] Key On Engine Off On Demand Self-Test has been started
(WARN) [20:34:11.293] Test completed, found DTCs: P0103, P0102, P1602

===DTC P0103===
Code: P0103 - MAF Sensor Circuit High Input

Module: Powertrain Control Module

Diagnostic Trouble Code details

MAF Sensor Circuit High Input

This DTC is set when the MAF signal is higher than normal operating conditions.

This DTC may be caused by :

Signal shorted to VBATT or vref.

Sensor

Improper connection

Faulty MAF sensor

Faulty or damaged PCM.

EGR System Fault

Plugged or Stuck EGR valve.

===END DTC P0103===

===DTC P0102===
Code: P0102 - MAF Sensor Circuit Low Input

MAF Sensor Circuit Low Input

This DTC is set when the MAF sensor signal is lower than normal.

This DTC may be caused by :

Sensor

Improper connection

Intake system leaks

Broken or leak in inlet duct from MAF sensor.

Loose clamps on inlet duct.

Sensor

Faulty or damaged PCM.

Signal shorted to ground or signal return.

Open ground between sensor and PCM.

Signal wire open circuit between sensor and PCM.

Open circuit on ground connection at sensor.

Open circut on VBATT connection at sensor.

===END DTC P0102===

===DTC P1602===
Code: P1602 - Immobilizer module-PCM communication fault

Immobilizer module-PCM communication fault

===END DTC P1602===

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fullwavebridge said:

The car now stinks of carbon monoxide when stood idling,

Someone is sure to point this out, so it may as well be me.

Carbon monoxide is a 'colourless, tasteless and odorless gas'. Humans can not detect the gas but can only feel the effects of it.  The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion.

Now back to the issue of the FORScan logs. My thoughts would be damaged or corroded wiring to the PCM. @TomsFocus or @Tizer may well be able to offer a better explanation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bring up the PID for the MAF Sensor. At Idle I would expect somewhere around 5 to 7 g/s.

There is something wrong with your car obviously and to rule out the MAF just disconnect it and the car will revert to pre programmed values and in a lot of cases will run a lot better if the MAF is giving false readings.

• Like 1

Sorry dave.

I really meant to say exhaust fumes (not carbon monoxide) in the car. Really bad too.

Can the egr valves be on the fords be cleaned with brake / clutch / egr cleaner and the toothbrush?

My mk4 vaux dti egr stuck during lockdown, i stripped all egr associated parts, cleaned etc and had no problems since... not as familiar with the ford. I noticed they aren't expensive for a new one either and could probably get an even better price through my work at the motor factors.

Tizer (john) thanks for the suggestion, i thought about that, dissing the maf connector and then running diagnostics live data.

Am i getting strong exhaust fumes due to the egr sticking or maybe a loose/ broken clamp is what i was wondering ?

Am busy today, but time to get under the hod later on

45 minutes ago, fullwavebridge said:

Am i getting strong exhaust fumes

If you are getting Exhaust fumes in the cabin while driving then there is a leak somewhere. A stuck shut EGR Valve may show up a leak that is not that obvious normally.

I'm not certain about that car but you can normally Live Monitor the position of the EGR Valve with FORScan. 

• Like 1

Diagnostics can't show you a physical exhaust leak.  Generally you'll see soot around a raw exhaust leak on a diesel so that should be easy to spot by eye if not by nose.

There aren't many places for a raw exhaust leak into the cabin on the 1.4 TDCI.  The exhaust manifold and turbo are at the front.  So that really only leaves the EGR.  Could be as simple as a damaged EGR gasket.  Though you say the inlet didn't seat properly, that should be the priority imo, you'll be losing boost otherwise, which will create misleading issues like black exhaust smoke and potentially even the EGR smell.

• Like 1

Had a quick look today, it appears to be injector No4 (nearest timing belt) seal that has failed.

Will whip all top stuff off and redo it, and probably easier to access egr whilst it's in bits.

Did injector seals a couple of months ago, cut new seats, torqued etc - obviously didn't do a good enough job but will see if its just the one or not.

• Like 3

On 11/7/2023 at 7:57 AM, DaveT70 said:

My money is on dirty/sticking EGR

Egr replaced and injector No4 seal sorted.

Was shi**ting myself before the test run as the first few minutes it was smoking heavily on idle, but obviously just the lubricant etc used when cleaning bore out after decarbing etc.

took it for a 20 mile run, first 10 i drove like my gran, the 2nd 10 i drove it like i stole it.

No smoking, smells of exhaust, burning derv etc.

Thanks to all for their input.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club