Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK2 Wind / Whistle Noise - Right Hand A Pillar Area

willdudeuk

Got a wind / whistle noise coming from the RH A Pillar Area. 

Any ideas what this could be?

Is it the Wing Mirror Cover?

When in the car it sounds like a whistling noise, but quite small not rushing.

Seems to happen at certain speed range then disappears or is less audible due to road noise?

I thought it may be coming through the windscreen where it bonds to the body, perhaps the adhesive has failed allowing air through?

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

3 hours ago, willdudeuk said:

I thought it may be coming through the windscreen where it bonds to the body, perhaps the adhesive has failed allowing air through?

Unlikely, unless you also get water streaming through as well...

Try a spray silicon grease on the rubber door seals. They may have dried out over the years and making them a bit more supple may help them seal better.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, willdudeuk said:

Is it the Wing Mirror Cover?

Unlikely, but some have had issues with Door Mirrors in the past.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, unofix said:

Unlikely, but some have had issues with Door Mirrors in the past.

Missed that LOL

wingmirror.jpg.efa14e701be92f9b44093e057e25dbab.jpg

• Haha 1

I noticed the wing mirror cover on the RH wasn’t fitted correctly so have refitted. Shall report back tomorrow. Might not be that….

Shall get some silicone spray and does as per your suggestion@StephenFord

Could be the wing mirror cover or the ‘sail’ of the wing mirror meets the body exterior in A-pillar area

Also check the seal that’s fitted around the windscreen I know on my mk 2 there was a known issue where the seal could come away from the screen and cause wind noise at certain speeds. 

This isn’t the PU seal to the body but the more cosmetic seal you can see around the edge of the screen

On Twin carburettor engines years ago I used to balance the air flow at idle by listening to the intake hiss with a piece of tubing placed between my ear and the carb inlet. It was very effective and the technique can be used here.

Get yourself a piece of tubing, screen washer tubing will do the job nicely.

Have a friend (suitably insured of course) drive at the offending speed so that you can hear the wind noise.

Take the free end of the tubing and place it where you think the wind noise is coming from. When you are near the source you will hear it clearly at the end of the tube which is placed right tight against your ear hole.

It might help to make the business end of the tube stiff, how about adding a foot or two of steel bundy tubing.

This will work if there is a gap with air rushing through. If the noise is being generated outside and there is no possibility of an air leak through to the inside of the car, it may not help much.

Hope this helps,

ScaniaPBman.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So refitting the poor fit RH Wing Mirror hasn't solved the whistle / noise.

Have to get the tubing out and have a listen....

When you say the "sail" @troy45 what do you mean? Got a picture to share please?

And the seal around the windscreen? Is this a plastic trim part that goes around the windscreen or is it a rubber part?

This is the ‘sail’ part of the (wing) door mirror assembly

IMG_7073.thumb.jpeg.0706e8c775da85775662eea0947ce03b.jpeg

Windscreen seal is mainly rubber though it’s got a stiffer section incorporated thats supposed to grip around the edge of the windscreen. Not sure if that was the sole method of fixing or they had some sealer too

The sail part doesn’t seem to sit right. 

I did remove the the RH wing mirror to have a look to see if fitted incorrectly but all looked ok…

But it does seem to have a gap at the bottom but LH is similar. 

Bit stumped. 

I wonder if they both have been replace and are the slightly different design?

It has a feature / pin that locates in a cup and then threaded portion held on with a nut and torx screw into a plastic boss 

No matter how tight you do the nut it doesn’t close the gap and the mirror doesn’t seem that secure. Enough to make it vibrate when driving. 

Design would unlikely to have changed, but with plastic moulded parts you’ve got chance that they are distorted either from manufacture or just through time. Similarly if aftermarket replacements have been fitted the same can apply. 

To save chasing a red herring perhaps try taping up the parts you’re concerned with and see if it improves.

Think the mirrors secure via a rubber gasket so there is always a small amount of flex. This may also have deteriorated over time - padding out with tape may be an option to trial also, to see if improves anything. 

Hi,willdudeuk I have a mk2.5 and I had wind coming through the drivers wing mirror and I notice it was aftermarket one so I stripped the passenger side which was a genuine Ford one so I check them both over and there was a bit of form pad missing from the aftermarket one where the wire goes through the hole so I got some closecell insulation and stuffed it in there and it sorted my problem out I don't no if its the same as a mk2 hope this will help you.

Thanks @Dai59 I’ll have to remove both and compare. Not sure how I will tell if original or aftermarket?

Do you have a picture of what you mean to illustrate?

It normally have a ford logo under the mirror and I will look now for some pictures to show you 

I had closecell padding missing out of the aftermarket mirror. so when I stuff a bit of closecell into the 2 area in the picture it sorted my noise out hope this will help 

• 2 months later...

**UPDATE** - whistle noise has now gone after replacing the wing mirror assembly / housing with an original / OEM part for a bargain price of £15 (whole unit: glass, indicator, colour matched panther black top cover).

The previous one was aftermarket. Cheap and nasty! Essentially it was missing the two plastic tabs that locate through wing mirror aperture which made it very loose and air was getting behind it...at least that's my theory.

It's been a pleasure to drive on the motorway today without that annoying whistle 🙂

• Like 1

If you ever do miss the whistle, may I suggest the live album by Roger Whittaker? 😂

roger.jpg.f9e92b668f067ad65a6f2521adc1ee7e.jpg

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club