Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta MK8 subwoofer and space saver wheel

mitch84

Hello

So I had a service the other day and I was told the tyre sealant has expired, £20 to replace, didn't bother as Im thinking about picking up a spare wheel instead, (space saver)

My question is, I have the the factory fitted B&O sub fitted under the carpet in the boot, can I safely disconnect this and remove it or will that cause issues?

I presume a space saver well fit in its place, though not sure how I will secure it?

I have 18" alloys, on the passenger door it says I need an R14 size spare. Any advice on where to get one, seen a place called The Wheel Shop.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, unofix said:

There are dozens, possibly over a hundred for sale on eBay.

An example of the full kit needed: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335395484532?

Thanks

I take it I should make sure any space saver I Buy matches to that of what it says on the passenger side door label. I believe it refers to a space saver and not a full size spare?

Also do you know if removing the sub will not cause issues with the radio and other Speakers? It looks easy enough to remove.

• Like 1

All Fiesta space saver wheels are the same size with the exception of the one for the ST which is a 15" to allow for the larger brake calipers.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mitch84 said:

if removing the sub will not cause issues with the radio and other speakers? It looks easy enough to remove.

Should not cause any issues with the audio system. You could relocate the speaker to the side panel of the boot as I believe it is on some Ford models.

2 minutes ago, unofix said:

Should not cause any issues with the audio system. You could relocate the speaker to the side panel of the boot as I believe it is on some Ford models.

I don't really listen to music much in car so not worried about the sub at all really.

That one you linked, I take it best to get one with the brace fitting like in link so wheel holds in place.

9 minutes ago, mitch84 said:

Also do you know if removing the sub will not cause issues with the radio and other speakers? It looks easy enough to remove.

Yes, there are a few threads on this subject. Members have squeezed in full size spares (with some loss of boot space) by making up a support for the false floor.

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/108306-spare-tyre-vignale/#comments

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mitch84 said:

I take it best to get one with the brace fitting like in link so wheel holds in place

Yes that is how it would have been supplied from the factory.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, unofix said:

Yes that is how it would have been supplied from the factory.

Shame that one you linked doesn't deliver.

Seen this but the middle fitting looks different.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/375438585725?itmmeta=01HYQQ7KDJCS42SKDCX4SSENT6&hash=item5769e22f7d:g:7DMAAOSwLqpmShit

I think I might just get some sealant, and hope I never need to use it, looks like a bit of a pain trying to source all the correct parts to hold the wheel in place.

Though I could just keep the sub in place and put the space saver in the boot, as don't carry much in my boot anyway.

37 minutes ago, mitch84 said:

Seen this but the middle fitting looks different.

That is not the correct jack for your model.

• Thanks 1

Although my car states a 14" I wonder if I could use a 16" space saver?

I have 18" wheels and The Wheel Shop states the 16" size is suitable for cars fitted with 17/18" wheels.

I have just got a steel spacer-saver for my ST-3, in this case a 15", purchased off eBay for approx. £65.  No tools or jack but I already had those.  Fits in the wheel well nicely.

The space-saver was off a 2006 ST however the steel hub is in excellent condition (no rust or corrosion) and the wheel does fit my 2023 ST...tried it to make sure it cleared the brake calipers.

The only thing to note is the age of the tyre, which in my case is over 16 years old.  I have read the tyre, even though unused and looking in perfect condition, might need to be replaced due to its age...not sure how true this is. Its around £65-£85 for the replacement T125/80R15 space-saver tyre.  So maybe something to consider if purchasing one off eBay...🤔

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, martinf64 said:

I have just got a steel spacer-saver for my ST-3, in this case a 15", purchased off eBay for approx. £65.  No tools or jack but I already had those.  Fits in the wheel well nicely.

The space-saver was off a 2006 ST however the steel hub is in excellent condition (no rust or corrosion) and the wheel does fit my 2023 ST...tried it to make sure it cleared the brake calipers.

The only thing to note is the age of the tyre, which in my case is over 16 years old.  I have read the tyre, even though unused and looking in perfect condition, might need to be replaced due to its age...not sure how true this is. Its around £65-£85 for the replacement T125/80R15 space-saver tyre.  So maybe something to consider if purchasing one off eBay...🤔

What size rims are on your fiesta?

I might just get this

https://www.thewheelshop.co.uk/product/ford-fiesta-2008-present-day-15-space-saver-spare-wheel-tool-kit/

2 hours ago, mitch84 said:

Rims are 18" with 205/40ZR18 tyres fitted, the ST has bigger brake calipers so a 15" space-saver rim is required to clear these. Good job I didn't listen to the salesman who suggested taking my old ST-Line X Vignale 14" space-saver for use on the ST...he insisted it would work but a quick search discovered the ST required 15" not 14" rims.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, martinf64 said:

Good job I didn't listen to the salesman who suggested taking my old ST-Line X Vignale 14" space-saver for use on the ST...he insisted it would work but a quick search discovered the ST required 15" not 14" rims.

I got similar advice but my guy clarified that the 14" would fit over the rear calipers but not the front, so in the event of a front wheel puncture, you'd have to put a rear wheel on the front, and the spacesaver on the rear, which is good practice anyway.

I sourced a complete ST 15" spacesaver and tool kit, but I must say, having looked at the spacesaver I'd be very reluctant to put that on the front of a 200ps car. I've seen fatter tyres on a pushbike!😀

It does leave plenty of room in the well, though, I've put the gunk and compressor in there as well, just in case.

• Like 2

So despite 14" being the correct size for car, would 15" space saver be fine as well?

Seen some places selling 15" space saver you see, so want to be sure it will be fine.

2 hours ago, mitch84 said:

So despite 14" being the correct size for car, would 15" space saver be fine as wel

No caliper clearance issue with a non-ST anyway, so provided it has the correct 4 x 108 stud spacing it would fit.  Having seen the skinny for the ST, though, I would prefer the recommended 14" with 175/65 tyre personally.

A friend of mine got the complete kit of wheel and tools from a local breaker, and there really are loads around on the likes of eBay as Unofix suggested at the start of the thread, but read ads/look at pics carefully to ensure it is the genuine Ford item with tools and foam insert.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

No caliper clearance issue with a non-ST anyway, so provided it has the correct 4 x 108 stud spacing it would fit.  Having seen the skinny for the ST, though, I would prefer the recommended 14" with 175/65 tyre personally.

A friend of mine got the complete kit of wheel and tools from a local breaker, and there really are loads around on the likes of EBay as Unofix suggested at the start of the thread, but read ads/look at pics carefully to ensure it is the genuine Ford item with tools and foam insert.

Thanks, I will keep a look out then for time being, for now I will get a new can of tyre sealent as my current canister is out of date. 

5 minutes ago, mitch84 said:

I will get a new can of tyre sealant as my current canister is out of date. 

You're not planning on eating it, are you ??? 🤣

• Haha 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club